SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andreajom

Trying to decide on layout and design for new kitchen

Andrea
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We are planning to remove the wall (shown below) and put our kitchen in that room to create a more open concept. We are a family of 6 and we cook often and need a functional kitchen. I am thinking of white shaker cabinets and a blue island with white quartz countertops. I worked with a designer who suggested the picture/layout below. I like it, for the most part, but have wondered about the beams breaking up counter space... I like how she planned to use the TG above the stove top to house the hood to coordinate with the fireplace. I'm not too worried about being trendy. I just want something I like that I will like for the next 40 years. (I liked my first white kitchen in my San Francisco apartment 20+ years ago, so I feel good about white cabinets, but I'm open to suggestions.)

The ceiling is higher in the living room than it will be in the kitchen.

Im not sure about having an island ... it adds a lot to the cost. I’ve considered just putting a farmhouse table instead. I have 4 young kids that might draw/do homework there. It’s not ideal to me not to have a real eat in kitchen with a table. Islands are great to give counter space but are too high to really have a cozy meal for 6 around. I’m looking for ideas and input. (I know the scale isn’t perfect on this drawing)

Thank you!!

(

Comments (2)