SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

Is this handbag too big?

DYH
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I needed a new leather handbag and since I love my new iPad (smaller than the Pro) that is compatible with the Apple Pencil, which I use a lot for sketching, I want to carry it around. This purse has a pocket for it!

I shopped online for a shoulder bag that could hold it and found a Longchamp that looked promising.

I'm heading to Paris and Italy soon and want to take a nice handbag as I'm booked to the gills with my friends who live in Paris -- and then will be with other friends meeting up in Italy.

It arrived today and I've never carried such a large handbag!

That said, it's not nearly as heavy as some of my smaller leather bags. It's 12 x15 and lies flat when all the filling is out of it. Even with my iPad, wallet, sunglasses, etc., I could pack a set of clothes in there!

The leather is incredibly soft! I didn't find this photo until after my bag came -- as it was sold out everywhere. The reviews were spectacular.

I purchased it for an incredible deal during a one-day sale at Nordstrom Rack. It was listed at almost $1300, but I purchased it for $399.

I can fit it into my roller carry-on bag since it lies flat.

WWYD?

Thanks!

Comments (27)

• Lyban zone 4
    6 years ago

I don’t think it is too big. You want everything handy while traveling.

i use a bitter smaller at home for everyday but when I travel I always take something that I can slip my ipad into along with other essentials.

DYH thanked Lyban zone 4
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

Are you petite?

DYH thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • eld6161
    6 years ago

It looks big to me, I'm petite. But, some can carry this off. Are you asking because it is larger than what you usually carry?

DYH thanked eld6161
  • Bonnie
    6 years ago

Oh I like it very much and think it will fit the bill for your travel needs. Lovely!

DYH thanked Bonnie
  • Allison0704
    6 years ago

Great deal! But looks bigger than I would want to carry. If you don't have it filled, does it get flatter?

DYH thanked Allison0704
  • DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I’m 5’7”

It’s very flat with my usual stuff in it.

• deegw
    6 years ago

It's gorgeous. And now I am off to check out Nordstrom Rack ...

DYH thanked deegw
  • DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Another Nordstrom photo.

• DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Compared to my usual size bag.

• Bonnie
    6 years ago

I have the bag above (Marc Jacobs) in black and find it too small, but useful for some occasions.

DYH thanked Bonnie
  • DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This bag has a place for everything. It’s buttery soft enough to roll up. The straps feel good either crossbody or on the shoulder. As a crossbody, it isn’t bulky because it’s so narrow at the top. The width is at the bottom. My MacBook fits in it, but I’m not taking it.

My 30-something DIL’s carry purses this size.

I think the real conundrum is that I wouldn’t carry this around my home town on a daily basis. But, at that deal....but, I’m not wanting to buy yet another purse for around town.

Yikes! I don’t know what to do. I don’t have another purse that will hold my iPad.

A “first world” conundrum.

• rosesstink
    6 years ago

I bought my first "large" purse for precisely your reason: it had an inside pocket that fit my iPad. Then I bought a largish Baggellini for travel because it has outside pockets that can hold a water bottle and a small umbrella. I have become dependent on both of these purses. When I've tried to go back to a smaller one I've felt restricted. DH has even commented on the Baggallini when I tuck the umbrella in one pocket and water bottle in the other: "That's a very useful handbag!" Yes, it is. Keep your purse.

DYH thanked rosesstink
  • DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well, I wouldn’t have to carry my Paris groceries in a separate bag!

• gsciencechick
    6 years ago

Going to check out Baggalini. Have a conference coming up and I also like to carry my iPad to take notes and use the conference app. But that Nordstrom bag is awesome.

DYH thanked gsciencechick
  • OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

I like it. When I traveled a lot I used a tote type bag that was lightweight leather. Your statement that you could fit a change of clothes in the bag would seal the deal for me. I always carried a clean T-shirt and undies at minimum in a tote bag along with makeup and hairbrush. And iPad of course. And I would tuck in a small cross body in my large bag for a day or night on the street when I didn’t need a big bag.

DYH thanked OutsidePlaying
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

If you were tiny, I'd say no. But I think you are tall enough for a big bag.

I would never carry a heavy bag when I travel, i try to travel with bags that are light when empty.

But it is clear that is sparks joy for you! Keep in and enjoy it. Work around it if you have to. When I really love something, practical considerations are moot.

DYH thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Fori
    6 years ago

It's a good size. I like how flat it gets. That shrinks it considerably. Keep it.

DYH thanked Fori
  • User
    5 years ago

Try as I might to get with the cross body smaller sleeker handbag, I am just too used to having everything with me. I have been looking for a long time and finally just bought a huge bag last weekend. I am in love. So I guess I am the wrong one to ask if that bag is too big- and I think it's stunning and no not too big. (here's the one I bought--- and now it follows me all over facebook LoL.)Aimee Kestenberg Sicily Shopper Nylon

DYH thanked User
  • amykath
    5 years ago

I love it and with your height it is a perfect size!

DYH thanked amykath
  • Yayagal
    5 years ago

You'll look smashing! Of course wear it, no doubt.

DYH thanked Yayagal
  • dedtired
    5 years ago

Nice bag. I would shorten the strap , looking at the first picture. Looks like it is adjustable. Paris is a conundrum. On one hand you want a bag that is practical for travel but also stylish because after all, you’re in Paris. Same goes for shoes. That looks like the perfect solution.

DYH thanked dedtired
  • DYH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Long day --- long story

I drove to another city to meet up with a friend from California who was available today only.

Along the way, I stopped at the Saks Off5th Outlet and found.....a Longchamp, soft, lamb leather handbag in black!

This is similar to the nylon Pilage bags, but the interior has an inside zip pocket, an open cell phone slip pocket and a place for pens.

It also rolls up and snaps. It will pack well since I use a carry-on while on board the plane.

The only downside that I see to this smaller purse is that it's so incredibly soft, there's no structure to the bottom. If that bothers me, I'll cut some cardboard and stick in there.

That said, it holds everything I need for it to hold, it doesn't overwhelm, it's lighter weight and packable.

It was discounted to $369. Not the incredible deal of the large bag, but discounted from $495.

Here's a Nordstrom link with reviews.

The online Saksoff5th has some of these bags discounted.

My DIL's birthday was Wednesday and I was going to bring her something back from Paris or Italy -- but, I called my son and asked him about the large bag for her meetings, etc. (I noticed when she came home for a week in Boston, her back was overstuffed).

He told me I was fulfilling her number one gift wish! So, I'm taking the large bag over to her this evening.

I'm off to see my grandkids and gift the other bag to my DIL!

Merci mes amis!

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    5 years ago

Sounds like a good plan! Sometimes I wish I lived closer to Europe, as the flights from L.A. are about five hours longer than the ones from the East Coast.

I'm sure you'll have a great time in Paris and Italy, especially since you will be seeing friends. I'm anxious to go back to Italy myself but won't be taking any more long trips this year.

I have the feeling that younger women like larger bags.

DYH thanked Lars/J. Robert Scott
  • happy2b…gw
    5 years ago

Both bags are lovely. Isn't it wonderful when things fall into place? Have a wonderful trip.

DYH thanked happy2b…gw
  • DYH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My DIL was thrilled with the bag! She went on and on about how she'd been telling my son that's what she wanted. He said now he has to come up with another idea! He was joking, and happy that I'd gotten her one. He was at a loss about what to get/how to shop for a bag. Her MacBook fits in the outside flat zippered pocket; her cell phone under the front flap; and her business cards have a special slot on the outside of the front flap. She's a doctor and said she had wanted something really nice to take to meetings.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

Love that last bag! Great choice and looks. I am sure your DIL will be ecstatic with your gift.

DYH thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX