SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weirdcatlady

Kinda worried about my new skillet . . .

MizLizzie
6 years ago

So I asked Mom, a hardened bargain shopper, to be on the lookout for a nice, level #10 Griswold skillet. Well, she found one for only $40. It is nice and lightweight like an old skillet should be, and it cooks like a house afire on my induction cooktop. But I noticed when she dropped it by that the handle was worn and silvery-looking, almost like stainless steel, which puzzled me.

After she left, I tried to research it, and it turns out that some time after the turn of the century, Griswold and other makers briefly produced cast-iron skillets coated with nickel, some say chrome. It's theorized this was an effort to make them look more modern? Not much else is known about these skillets, but apparently Griswold did use the word “nickelized,” in marketing materials, which makes one think the coating is nickel, not chrome.

Other than the handle, this thing is as black as any cast-iron skillet I have ever seen, and it is so well used that you can’t make out the word Griswold on the back — only the double circle and cross remains. So I don’t know if it’s the slant Griswold or the regular Griswold, and honestly, I don’t care. I don’t think these coated skillets have any residual value, and I bought it to use. But the question remains – – is it SAFE to use? I don’t know anything about nickel, but if it’s poisonous, a lot of people died eating out of the skillet, because it has been seriously, seriously used. Thanks for any insight.

Comments (14)