SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zensojourner

Odd void between bathroom and adjoining room

Pyewacket
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Since I moved into this place I have had the impression that "things don't match up" when it comes to the layout and the size/placement of the rooms.

So I finally broke down and went around measuring, and drew up a "floor plan" from these measurements.

I discovered that yes indeed, things do not match up, though not nearly in so exaggerated a fashion as I had been imagining. It boils down to there being 2 interior walls framed between the bathroom tub nook and the room on the other side of that wall, with a 6" to 8" void between them. This is along the LONG side of the tub, not the end where the plumbing would go. Here's a rough drawing:

So my question is - is there some reason why there would be a void like that other than stupidity? There is no wiring in that area. I can't imagine what kind of plumbing would be in that area. It certainly seems as though they framed a void in there.

I think that weird room was probably the "modern-in-1958" version of a trunk room, but its certainly oddly sized and situated according to most standards. It faces what used to be the "front door" which is actually on the side of the house. But that's where the sidewalk leads up to and that's where the mail slot was installed, back in the good old days when we actually got mail delivery, so it functioned as the front door. It's just open to the hallway and the front door there. It had sliding closet doors but I took them down because - ugly. Ditto the hall closet. The furnace room had a Rube Goldberg contraption consisting of some angle iron, 2x4s, steel mesh, and masonite. Obviously that is also all gone.

60 yo ranch style home on a slab, with RAFTERS not trusses. None of the interior walls seem to be supporting walls (though I would have that checked by a pro if I were actually going to demolish anything). Originally plaster walls with some replaced or covered by wallboard in a "rehab" about 10 years ago (before I got it). Wiring so far has all been dropped down from the attic, at least on all interior walls. No attic over the Living Room, it had exposed rafters originally but former owner insulated that space and covered with wallboard.

I think the only plaster that is still left is behind the kitchen counters and, now that I think of it, probably also behind all the tile in the bathroom, which is tiled floor to ceiling around the bath and a good 4' up around the rest of the room. But the only plaster that I know for sure is still in the home is the stuff behind the kitchen counters because I can see that where they cut the hole for the plumbing.

Comments (11)