SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

How to Prep for Hardwood Install?

enduring
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have another thread that has reached its conclusion, so I am starting a new one for help in getting the floor ready for a local outfit to install hardwood flooring.

Old thread: https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5273391/taking-up-glued-down-1970s-carpet-with-padhelp?n=18

Where I am now and hope to be by the end of the day:

1. I have the tractor and loader bucket outside the door next to the bedroom.
  2. I will remove the base board, label and save for refinishing and reapply after the floor is in.
  3. I will pry the particle board up off of the plywood sub flooring. I will dispose of it in that wonderful loader bucket! The particle board is nailed down.

Next, I'd like help with what to do. I plan to buy sheets of plywood that are the thickness of the particle board which I measure at the heating vent to be 5/8" but it might be different once up and out for me to take a better measurement.

As I review the websites on wood flooring site, the next steps are: the subfloor is inspected and refastened to the joist with screws. Next, the plywood is laid perpendicular to the previous ply (though because its ply I don't see why). No overlapping seams. Screwed 12" oc in the field and every 6" along the edges. No expansion gap was mentioned, but I think one should be made at the walls.

QUESTIONS

1. How far apart are the fasteners for the subfloor to joists to be spaced?
  2. Plywood underlayment over the subfloor, do I need to glue it down before fastening?
  3. How are the fasteners spaced for the new ply underlayment?
  4. What grade plywood do I get?
  5. How much moisture is acceptable in the plywood underlayment before wood floor is installed?
  6. If I get my plywood at Lowes, will they be able to tell me the moisture content of the ply.
  7. Regardless of the starting moisture content at Lowes, or any Big Box store, would the ply be ready to accept hardwood installation in 4 weeks? This is in a home that is already using heating/cooling.
  8. If I install the plywood in 2x8' strips will that be ok? I am thinking if I can't get DH to help on this project I can cut the boards down to make them more manageable to handle.

Comments (14)