SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pk000313

Privacy screen help needed

Just bought this house last year. Half an acre, but much of the yard is on the front and sides, with a reverse-pie shaped lot. The backyard privacy kind of stinks, especially since my neighbors on the south side love to have parties and get drunk in their backyard and garage. The north side is also very wide open to the road.

Grow zone: 5b/6a (not far from Lansing, MI) Soil: I don't know much about soil, but appears to have some clay content.

South Side- Most important. I want to install an almost instant privacy screen that will cover about 30 linear feet to block out neighbors. I can plant about 20ft away from the house (maybe a little further out) if needed. I have two unhealthy looking blue spruce on that side towards the back, but I need to cover the area next to my patio with something a little more dense. There are also 3 tall oaks right next to the patio as seen in the pics. I had been considering five or six 9' Thuja Green Giants ($335 installed per tree) spaced 5 feet. They will be close to an instant fix, but I am worried they will grow out of control and be hard to manage in a few years. Plus, I dont really care for how they look. 2 landscapers suggested four 10' Norway Spruce ($375 per tree) spaced at 5 feet, but I am almost certain those will look great for 5 years, then get too large and start to suffer and lose branches. 9' Emerald greens would take a long time to really grow high enough for good privacy, and will be too costly as I would probably need 20 trees.

White Spruce seem tempting as they grow a bit slower than Norways. I am open to all suggestions, but it needs to be something that I can plant large (10ft+) specimens, affordably. I need that privacy!

South-side pics: https://imgur.com/a/PZ4wDvH

North-side: I have much more open space here and don't want to get too close to the house. I would like to plant 1 or 2 large trees on the side to give some blockage from the street. I was thinking a 10' White Spruce, but now I am also trying to think of something a bit more exotic like a Tricolor Beech or a Gold Rush Dawn Redwood.

North-side pics: https://imgur.com/a/dkbieRS

Comments (15)