SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

OT: Lilac madness

The lilacs are in bloom. One of the great things about having an unmanageably large garden is that I have all the room I want for this great shrub. They grow scattered through the garden: the original, far-too-shaded small collection in the shade garden; the line along the south border of the newest part of the big garden: up at the top of the (once it was) Rose Road edging a scrap of woods; and others here and there. They look awfully good this year. Though most haven't reached mature dimensions, they've gotten big enough, 3'-5' (1m-1.5m) high and wide, to make their presence felt, and they're full of flowers.

Lilacs in bloom are wonderfully lush, with a softness about them. I have a relatively small number of varieties, many of them whose names I'm unsure of, though they're named varieties, plus the grand common lilac itself, Syringa vulgaris. There are other species, hybrids and selections, but for me this is what is meant by a lilac. They bloom in various shades of pinkish-lavender, pink, red-violet, mauve, lavender-blue, grayish pink, white, in singles and doubles, and a group of various kinds flowering together is one of the most opulent sights, and scents, that a garden can offer. Also I notice this year that they come when the early-flowering bulbs and shrubs and trees are finishing up, and before the roses really get going. They flower with the laburnums and wisteria and the early peonies, filling a hole in the sequence of spring bloom.

They love our hills. I noticed years ago that lilacs are happy here. They love clay soil, chilly wet winters, hot dry summers, and full sun. The best group in the garden is the line on the south slope toward the road, helping hold up the hill which is slumping and threatening to slide. This is their first year of appreciable size and good bloom, and though some have been wrecked by the deer--DH has been out putting caging around them--there are enough to make a show. They'll only get bigger and more floriferous as the years pass. I would like more varieties. Perhaps I have ten or twelve kinds. I would love to greatly expand my collection, but....cost. I would probably have to go out of Italy to find them, as lilacs are common enough here, but available kinds are limited. Plotting and fretting over this will probably keep me busy for the rest of my life.

Lilacs are only interesting in their season of bloom, though then they're totally compelling. The rest of the time they just sit there quietly, a mass of green, itself welcome, or bare in winter. They enjoy good health here and give no problems, and require no care to speak of once established, though after they finish flowering I should probably get out with a saw and cut out some of the oldest growth.

Comments (46)