SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jth04

I didn't realize farmhouses were such a big trend...

Jth04
6 years ago

We are finishing up our paperwork to submit to the bank within the next couple weeks for our new build. We are buying 6 acres in a rural part of western Washington and were planning on building a farmhouse. I was aware of Fixer Upper and the popularity of that style, but I guess I didn't realize quite how trendy it was.

This is a house that we plan on living in for quite awhile. We have four kids, and we want to have some animals, an orchard, a berry patch, and the back acre of the lot is wooded with a little stream. As we were planning the house, the farmhouse style seemed the most natural for the area and for the lifestyle that we will have living there. What could be more classic than a white farmhouse?

Now, as shiplap and shaker cabinets are everywhere, is my house going to look straight out of 2018 in 10 years? I realize everything is dated with time, but I am just starting to wonder if my "modern classic" is really a played-out trend.

The interior will not have shiplap, or barn doors, or barn lights, btw. I love a lot of the farmhouse qualities, but I am also really drawn to modern design, arts and crafts, eclectic. My current furniture has a lot of clean lines and I don't like a lot of clutter, but outside of that it doesn't fit any one style.

Am I just looking for validation that building a farmhouse in a rural area with 6 acres is not as trendy as building a white farmhouse on a quarter acre lot in the suburbs? Honestly, the answer is probably yes. But if you think my exterior is one that will look very dated in 10 or 15 years, please let me know. Are there details we can add or omit to avoid the worst of the trends? Should we avoid the white and black and do something softer like this?

Exterior elevations

The window grids and exact combination of siding is still being decided. The windows will be vinyl and black exterior, white interior.

The plans have been engineered, so any structural changes will be a bit painful. But I would rather get it as close to right the first time as possible.

Comments (31)

• ledmond10
    6 years ago

That shape looks classic to me. Is the siding board and batten plus clapboards? Those have both been around a long time, too. I am also in your “neighborhood” and I don’t see a lot of white houses, but paint isn’t forever, so you could change it down the road if you wanted.

We moved out here from Sea a few years ago, and one thing I didn’t realize was that our house would need a good scrubbing every year! Right now it has a coat of pollen the Douglas firs just dumped off, plus the north side can get a little greenish after the winter.

Jth04 thanked ledmond10
  • Jth04
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I do agree that white could be high maintenance and that it is not as common in the area, although I do see it.

The exterior will be a combination of board and bat and lap Hardie.

• Related Discussions

If I Didn't Eat Food I'd Just Die

Q

Comments (12)
    Sammy, I'm taking it ez on the gardening although I have planted a few roses. I finally got my first gallica, Belle sans Flatterie. I planted a couple of climbers, well five anyway. I can't figure out what kind of look the front yard needs. If I had my way I'd plop what I wanted where I wanted with the idea of creating a thicket that pleased me. Carla, I left out the part about sitting on the couch eating pie when I suddenly realized there was sour cream in the fridge. It was all over then. Hopeless. Morz and Diane: regarding the Mayan--it has cinnamon and fudge swirls in it. I'm a chocoholic and it takes a lot to impress me. I took one bite and knew it was special. Patrick, it's been a long time since I fried a chicken; it sounds like it was over the top. There's nothing like a flour gravy when it's done right; it's so simple and so easy to mess up but so good when it's right. I usually stick to frying pork chops and I haven't even done that in eons. MichaelAT
    ...See More

Help with basic Clematis care *I hope I didn't mess up*

Q

Comments (10)
    Janet, not sure what the issue is but DofA is one that is planted up close to the foundation wall and it does very well--a monster in blooms and vines. The general thought is that planting near the foundation is bad because the plant's roots will be under the eaves and won't get enough rain. What I tend to do with plants planted close to the house is to water them well when planted and then begin watering further out from the house from then on out. Plants want to survive so will send roots outwards in many directions searching for where the water is.
    ...See More

Ruthieg I didn't know you were sick

Q

Comments (39)
    Ruthie, I went to your site, but it asks too many questions to be able to sign the guest book. I just want you to know that you are in our special prayers for strength, peace and grace. We will add you to our church prayer list as well. Blessings to you lady, and to John, Jaybird
    ...See More

I am so sick of saying that I just didn't know.

Q

Comments (24)
    Aimless, I encountered a similar problem with the upper cabinets when I renovated my current kitchen. The old ones were built in place, and were a full 12" on the INSIDE. New standard factory built cabinets are 12" on the OUTSIDE. I have hand made plates that needed to be put above the fridge because they no longer fit in the plate cupboard. Out of sight, out of mind. So we never use them anymore. :( For weeks afterwards, I was measuring cabinets everywhere to see if my cabinet company had cheaped out on me. But no, I've never seen a proper sized cabinet anywhere. Stupid, stupid things that they seem to rely on the consumer not to know about. And I'm guessing you're on slab, and that's why you needed to know about your floor outlets early?
    ...See More
  • lyfia
    6 years ago

The shape seems fairly classic to me, but the use on the material doesn't seem very consistent and could be more the issue if anything. Good news is that isn't hard to change though.

It is one thing to see the whole right elevation by it self, but how will it look when you view it and see both the right and the rear elevation next to each other. Homes on small lots packed next to another house can get away with this, but in reality when you are on acreage you will see several sides at once (unless you are in a heavily wooded area). This is very apparent in my neighborhood and even more so since the road is not straight so there are lots of what were they thinking on the elevation.

Jth04 thanked lyfia
  • Jth04
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I agree with this, and we are considering the various options. I am a little bit worried that the board and batten with the standing seam metal roof will be just too much vertical pattern, so I think I want to break it up with the horizontal lap. Where, and how much, is something that I keep changing my mind about. I am not naturally a decisive person, as is probably evidenced in my post, so building a house is a constant fight against my nature to continually question my decisions!

If I want my house to veer more towards modern than country, are there recommendations for the siding?

• lyfia
    6 years ago

Honestly I don't think the exterior shape reads modern at all, but rather leans more toward traditional. I think the most you can do is transitional. Maybe do lap siding on the bottom and board and batten for the 2nd/half story parts, but continue so around the house.

Jth04 thanked lyfia
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

What do Washington State farm houses look like? Farm houses vary with the part of the country. The best way to avoid a house looking dated is to choose something that is indigenous to the area, i.e. no adobe houses in New England, and no New England clapboard farm houses in New Mexico/

When I Googled Washington State farmhouses, the pictures I found were mostly of two-story, somewhat Victorian farm houses.

It's funny as this one could almost be a twin of the house my own father (born in 1901, youngest of 10 children) grew up in in a rural area of SW Missouri.

I think your design looks a bit more like the kind of farmhouses one sees in Texas, although they might well be stone. I'd keep the materials consistent with what have been historically used on Washington farm houses, and I'd be sure not to make it dark inside. I assume most of Washington shares the often rainy weather that Seattle does, so light is very important.

Jth04 thanked Anglophilia
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

Farmhouses have been trendy in rural areas for a long time, just over 200 years here in the US. Building houses that fit the site was trendy but is losing its popularity lately.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

Your house design will be fine...it will look as good in 10-15 years as it does in your elevations today. Your left and rear elevations are rather bulky, but they are not a major problem.

The "best" farmhouses tend to be those which have small, simple forms, and appear to have been added on to over the years--a sort of "organic" growth of the house over time.

Avoid the "trendy" exterior and interior stuff and you'll be fine. Pay no attention to HGTV.

Seriously, do honest to goodness farmhouses look dated in 10-15 years?

• Jth04
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lyfia- the exterior is definitely traditional as you said, and transitional is the word I should have used.

Anglophilia- I have not noticed a predominant "style" for old farm houses out here. I think there is probably a mix of architecture from various places as people brought their local style with them when they migrated west. I am not an expert on local architecture though. In my small town there seems to be a lot of older Craftsman style houses in the historic district. Out in the country there is a huge range.

The board and bat and lap siding are both common here, with more lap siding than anything I think. The board and batten looks "fresher" to me.

Mark- Thank you!

Virgil- Thanks for the comment, and I don't disagree that the left and rear elevations being a bit bulky. After fencing and landscaping I do not think it will be noticeable, and almost no one besides us will ever see the back.

I am playing around with the exterior materials and with the thought that "real" farmhouses were added onto over time. But obviously I want it to look cohesive as a whole.

I have a couple of front elevations with different combinations, just ignore the dormer and window differences.

I am thinking of something like lyfia suggested, which is kind of like elevation D but in reverse. Board and bat on the top, lap on the bottom section and continuing around the house. I like the recessed part in the middle to have some contrast as a nod to the "built on later" concept, and possibly also the little pop out with the shed roof on the left elevation.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Your house is classic looking. I wouldn't mix up the materials. It doesn't need it. Choose one or the other. Board and batten or lap siding. It's like taking a pretty girl and tarting her up.

Jth04 thanked cpartist
  • mle0782
    6 years ago
    Real farmhouse will always be a classic look and frankly, looks best in a rural setting or on a large lot. You have to come home to it for many years, so build what you are drawn to and enjoy! My only question is if the porch will end up being deep enough for your needs? It sounds as if you will spend many afternoons enjoying your orchards, etc.
    Jth04 thanked mle0782
  • grapefruit1_ar
    6 years ago

I think it is lovely. I would not do black Windows.

Jth04 thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • lyfia
    6 years ago

So on the front you have the added onto over time look with the different roof changes. Unfortunately that is missing on the back and sides which is causing the issue of it not flowing well with the material changes, although the back could be fixed as it flows somewhat that way too.

Don't do elevation D as that doesn't work since the change in materials don't have a natural stopping point. It looks like the house is wearing socks. My suggestion was if you wanted to mix materials to do something similar to what you have on the rear elevation on the left side.

Simple in general is better especially with a house that is nice looking to start with.

Jth04 thanked lyfia
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

For a believable and true farmhouse look, don't "tart" up the exteriors with lots of materials and colors. Actual farmhouses were very simple shapes and forms, with a simple use of materials and details. That said, additions over time may well have different materials and colors.

Keep in mind that farmhouses are true vernacular architecture. That means they use the materials, and building techniques commonly known and practiced in their area. This is why New England farmhouses are so different from southern or southwestern farmhouses. Thus, for yours to appear authentic, you must study and use materials, techniques and finishes common in your area.

Here's a favorite true colonial-era farmhouse in Pennsylvania (I believe) which demonstrates the "add on over time" approach:

One can easily pick out the many "add-ons" over time, yet they all work harmoniously together, despite different scales, proportions, materials and colors. Pretty neat isn't it?

I'm guessing the original building was the element with the two closely spaced chimmneys in the very center of the photo, and everything else was added over generations.

Jth04 thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • Cyndy
    6 years ago

Following along because I have the same concern. We are building a "modern" farmhouse on 2 acre hobby farm in a rural pocket south of Houston. It is a struggle to parse out the timeless from the trendy! Especially when some of what is timeless is super hip and trendy right now! I like the advice to keep the architecture style local and the materials simple.

Jth04 thanked Cyndy
  • Jth04
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much for the feedback! I will talk to my husband, but after hearing your suggestions I think we will go back to the original exterior, which was all board and batten. It is very common here in more recently built houses to have a mix of exterior siding, and I guess I felt like I needed to "tart" it up as you said. I can see the beauty in the simplicity of a single material, and honestly that fits my personal aesthetics as well.

The discussion over the black or white windows was a long one, as I think the black is very popular right now and also quite a bit more expensive. I think the black makes the house pop more, especially with white, but also with a more "clay" color that I posted above, with white trim and black windows. We have some concerns that the black vinyl may fade with time. We are doing Milgard windows, which are mid-range and have a lifetime warranty, but that warranty does not cover fading. As we plan to live here for a long time (hopefully), this could be an issue.

ETA: Actually, after re-reading Virgil's comment, I will do some research on local finishes before I make a final decision.

• Jth04
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Cyndy -It's nice to hear that there is someone else that has the same concerns!

I did a quick google search for images in my area. I didn't come up with a ton, and definitely I could build a log cabin and have it be historically accurate, but that is not quite the look I am going for.

These are some of the results I came up with:

Board and batten is definitely seen on houses around here, but I haven't found any historical photos with it. The lap siding seems to be the siding of choice, which also makes sense as I have read that it sheds water better than board and bat.

It is interesting to note that some of these have the dark window grids. Obviously these are not all farmhouses, but they are all fairly local.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Most likely the dark windows on the black and white photos are not black windows but are a dark color. Dark green, dark red, brown, etc.

Jth04 thanked cpartist
  • Jth04
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That’s a good point cpartist.

• zippity1
    6 years ago

6 years ago. when we first met with our builder, he took one look at our plan and said "i haven't built a house that wasn't brick in 25 years" for a while we thought he was going to refuse to build this particular plan, but he came through and we have a "farmhouse" plan that looks like it could have been built by our great grandparents...just what we wanted....and now there are a dozen or so farmhouses in our neighborhood (2500 acres or so) so far, none of the houses resemble ours and i've got to say, that's a relief even though they say imitation is the highest form of flattery.....

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

These older plan books are a joy to see and read! :-)

• User
    6 years ago

Hey Jth04! We are also building a farmhouse in rural western Washington. The farming community I live in has a wide range of "farmhouses"...many of them have the Victorian look that Angliphilia posted above. But some of them are brick square boxes...some are craftsman style, and my neighbor up the street built a super modern house (and every time I drive by it I think...well, that's out of place!).

I really love the look of board and batten, but had the same concerns as you of things being too trendy. Ultimately, we are going with all horizontal lap siding (also in white) but we're doing white windows.

Jth04 thanked User
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

The four volumes of the Farm Knowledge books cover a wide range of topic concerning living on a farm, from farm animals to soils and crops to farm management to farm machinery.

They even cover preconceived plans plopped onto a site.

Jth04 thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • One Devoted Dame
    6 years ago

Every farmhouse needs dynamite. Animals, orchards, outhouses, barns, a whole passel of kids... All optional. But not dynamite.

• ILoveRed
    6 years ago

What a great thread. I grew up on a farm and our house was a converted one room school house with additions.

Lots of old farmhouses here that are either white homes that have been added on to or for the wealthier farmers large four square brick homes that have stood the test of time.

jth04...like your house. I think I like the shed dormer rendering over the gable. Hope you stick around and let us watch you build it.

Jth04 thanked ILoveRed
  • gthigpen
    6 years ago

Here's a pic of the front of our house. Not quite finished yet as we still need front steps and wrap the bottom of the columns under the deck in stone and of course landscaping. We used board and baton all over and I don't think it is too much vertical. I like the simplicity of it. Many started to describe our house as a 'modern farmhouse' and it was driving me crazy because I didn't want something so trendy. We opted to paint ours gray with white windows to avoid the white house/black window trend. I have never liked white houses anyway because the dirt shows too much so this was preferable to me anyway. Just wanted to show you another option to white/black and the all board and baton.

Edited to add a picture of one side of our house. This was while ago and before it was painted. The board and baton was broken up by a horizontal piece of Hardie trim where the board seams were. Also opted to use shakes/shingles in the gable tops, to further break it up. But the front and back have no shakes/shingles.

Jth04 thanked gthigpen
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Yes, do avoid the black windows look - it is a trend and it will go quickly. It came about as a result of the "industrial look" that has been popularized with steel/bronze windows used in lots of Brooklyn brownstone houses. It's stunning when it's steel; it's not so great when it's vinyl. The entire point of having either vinyl or aluminum clad windows is that muntins need never be painted - always the biggest part of the cost of having a house painted. If one tires of the black or it fades (vinyl in dark colors DOES fade!), then they will need to be painted. Stick with white - you won't regret it.

Jth04 thanked Anglophilia
  • Jth04
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks again to all that have taken the time to respond. I love the parts of the book that you posted Mark, thanks so much for taking the time. I am going to keep an eye out for those volumes when I am shopping the used books sales. I love the chapter header about dynamite.

ILoveRed- Thank you, and I also like the shed dormer. The gable dormer appears more cheerful to me, if that doesn't sound too strange. I was driving around today paying extra attention to houses and their architectural elements, and I saw more shed dormers around here, especially in houses that just had a single dormer over a front porch. The gable dormers are more common in pairs or sets of three. This is something that could be changed without too much trouble, so I will be keeping it in mind.

gthigpen- Your house is lovely! I like the color you chose for the exterior and the board and batten looks so nice. Thanks for taking the time to post those.

Advice on the windows is noted. It certainly would save us quite a bit of money (I think it was almost 40% more for a "bronze" exterior). If we did do white windows, I don't think I would want a white exterior, as it would just be so much white.

ETA- After seeing Mark’s pictures I pulled out a book we have titled “Down on the Farm,” copyright 1954. I was looking for any pictures particular to my area and could only find the one below. Thought I would share it, not for inspiration in my home design, but just because I love old photographs and figured some of you would also appreciate it.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    6 years ago

Mark I have to find those books!!! How cool!

Every farmhouse needs dynamite. Animals, orchards, outhouses, barns, a whole passel of kids... All optional. But not dynamite.

Ha... well... it depends on how much your husband likes to scare the sh*t out of people. :) or just blow things up in general.

Jth04 I always try to remind people that if it's something YOU love and will be happy with it, doesn't matter if it's trendy or not.

I did some things in our house that I had planned for a long time... before the "trends" the beauty of it when we finally got to build was that the things were easier to find!! I'm still going to love them when the trend is gone. And if my "friends" come and think it's outdated, well... oh well! :)

Jth04 thanked Lori Wagerman_Walker
  • User
    6 years ago

Jth04 would love to know where you’re building! I tried to message you but it seems you don’t have that feature turned on.

Jth04 thanked User