SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwass86

Small 2br house with large garage--finish garage?

mwass86
6 years ago

Here is the listing of the house from when I bought it--there has been some remodeling but still the same layout.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/35-Iris-Ave-South-Glens-Falls-NY-12803/32446577_zpid/?fullpage=true

I have been considering some options for expanding the interior space because the layout is strange. The easiest way to explain is a "T"--the entry space by the front door is about 12x12 which I have been using as a living room. There is a wide hallway leading to the bedrooms/baths which is used as an eating nook. It has a galley kitchen which I have renovated and am pretty happy with.

Based on what I have into the house and what a full addition would cost (40-50k) vs 15-20k for a garage conversion I think the garage conversion would be the "lesser of two evils" so to speak since the house is only a 2br.

The house is in a nice neighborhood with a private backyard and river view, which is the main reason I bought it. I have put some money into it the finishes (floors, kitchen, lighting) and made the current layout about as functional as it can be. It looks nice from the outside and has a good sized back yard.

I would say 25% of comparable homes in my area have converted garages to living space or have no garage at all. The town I live in is a middle class community and there does not seem to be a big aversion to garage conversions when done well. I do appreciate having a 2 car garage, but based on the layout issue I think this would be more beneficial as living space.

I realize garage conversions are a controversial topic and I have my reservations of doing so. In the end though I think it would make the house more livable and I would want to stay there longer. Right now the interior kind of feels like a small apartment with no entertaining space or privacy, aside from the finished basement which is quite nice. I think the loss of the garage but vast improvement of living space would be more or less a wash in terms people willing to buy the home.

Comments (10)