SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
migreenthumb

Finally. Growth and Better Weather!

Yesterday I poked about my beds looking at how things were coming along.

After snow last week while I was away in sunny Florida visiting Grandpa, things are finally getting decently spring-like and the roses are finally beginning to grow too.

This winter has been ridiculously harsh on the roses (except my kordesii, rugosa, species, and foetida) with lots more die-back then years prior. Several roses need replaced and I want always (for sentimental reasons).

Rosa eglanteria (from seed! The foliage is so fragrant) year 3 I think.

Therese Bugnet rugosa (my first rose grown from a cutting! This is season 4.

Lady Emma Hamilton Season 5. Definitely has RMV. Comes back strong for me if killed down.

Rosa gallica 'Officinalis' type I collected along side a dirt road partly shaded by young Eastern Cottonwood trees. Unfortunately, this got mown so I may not have blooms this year. It's currently in three convenient clumps, but my original start definitely showed traits of typical "take over the world" gallica suckering. It's light red to deep pink, semi-double, young blooms delightfully scented, and can set hips. It is very hardy.

Winchester Cathedral own-root, season 5. This gets bigger and more beautiful every year. It flowers a bunch, and I love its unique lotion-like scent. It does black spot some, but not as much compared to other roses I have. I'm super excited about those two new suckers coming up in between the main canes (that was just one plant, not two). She's going to be great.

Perle d'Or, I think season four or maybe five (oh no! I forget!). Comes back fairly well so far.

Uphere in the cold North with roller coaster temps and precipitation and winds of all kinds, most roses that are repeaters/modern get killed back like this. Some hybrid teas are even worse. At least I have an excuse to try all different kinds if my interest is piqued.

Chrysler Imperial season three. A body bag with a devasted root system. It's done magnificently well considering. My special pot pet. (A Sterling Silver I tried has decided to croak, but I'm okay with that. A pot is opening up!) I've replaced all the mix this year too. My potted CI looks to be giving me some new basals (finally) too:

I have more, but most looks the same. Cut back hard from winter kill.

Interestingly, my season two experimental tea roses (yes- OGR Teas, NOT hybrid teas ;) ) look to have done better on the East facing, North side of the house than Mutabilis in an East facing, South side location:

Duchesse de Brabant

&

Mrs. Dudley Cross

Mutabilis has zero live cane and I'm waiting on it to see, but I believe it croaked.

Happy Spring in the North (for real this time, I promise... I hope!),

Steven

Comments (5)