SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bedtime_gw

Concept: One root system for better growth ... and, Mint Tree

bedtime
10 years ago

There are two concepts that I've thought of that pertain to mint, though I would think they could easily apply to other herbs as well. Please think specifically of mint while reading the information below.

Concept #1 - A single root system (one plant; NOT 2 or more plants) results in better growth

When growing mint it is best to have one single plant; a single root system for the entire plant. That is to say that if we grew a mint plant from a cutting we would make sure to never ever cut any part of the root system, even when repotting, else a single cut would create two plants, and no longer a single root system.

This allows the entire plant to share its resources, such as nutrients and water, wherever needed. A single root system ensures that there will be no fighting over nutrients and water. There is more vigor in a single root system, especially when the plant is trimmed down to the ground and resprouting new growth.

Ideas on this? Just a thought I had.... Next concept is just a fun one I had. It's more of an idea,

Concept #2 - How to make a mini mint tree

I have not done this. It's only an idea...

To do this it is absolutely essential that the root system be single, and not two or more plants, as mentioned above. One might grow the plant in a 5 - 10 gal pot (harvesting as one would like) for about 6 months to a year, until its root system is strong. As spring approaches and sun is at its best the entire plant pruned to the soil line. New growth will emerge. One stem, and only one stem, will be allowed to grow (though it would be easily possible to grow 2 or more stems and braid them together). All other budding stems will be pruned daily at the soil line. This will allow all the plant vigor to go into the one stem/branch. This main branch would be tied to a small pole to keep its growth straight up. We would let this branch grow until it flowered/seeded, and then prune just the flower and seeds. This will of course force the plants growth to split into two or more branches, which one (or more) branch will be cut and the other uppermost branch allowed to grow. This new and uncut branch will continue to be fastened to the pole as if it was the main branch, which it will soon appear as things mend and heal. When this new branch (now the uppermost of our new trunk) flowers, we just cut the flower, cut one branch (remember, it splits into two branches when cut so we need to cut one), and keep the other branch, allowing that uncut branch to continue along the pole, upward. We would repeat this process. The idea is that this main branch will become somewhat monterous after many months and become woody and tree trunk-like. That's my idea. I have no proof of this.

There will be stems coming out of all sides of this main branch/trunk, as can be expected. Occasionally this growth will be either pruned or redirected back into the ground to root and offer more support and nutrients to the plant. You could probably continue to redirect most of this growth into the soil below and just this growth would be enough to make a strong and stable trunk, like that of a tree.

Silly idea, perhaps. I would love input on this, big or small.

Comments (8)