SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whineconnoiseur

Should I put lower cabinets in my pantry? Help me think it through pls

Marci
6 years ago

My pantry is a 6ft square. I need to store dry goods food, (including 800 open packages of snack/ junk food) paper towels, small appliances lunch box supplies, and Tupperware. I primarily cook from the fridge, but tend to be an overbuyer. (I mean exactly how many cans of tomatoes do you have in your pantry?) haha.

I was thinking it would be nice to have a countertop to keep the small appliances the kids use like toaster, and blender, maybe even the electric griddle? I have very nice kitchen cabinets that I'm pulling out that I can re-use in the pantry.

What I can't decide is if lower cabinets would be useful? Specifically I would have a 36" pots and pans drawer stack (1 shallow, 2 deep) , a lazy susan, and a 24", 3 drawer stack making an L shape, with open shelving above.

Maybe I'm trying to fit these into the pantry to ease my guilt over getting rid of perfectly lovely cabinets? Or just because it will be pretty? Or will this counter and drawers set up actually be really useful?

What pantry items are suited to keeping in these drawers? What would you plan to keep in there?

My other option would just be putting floor to ceiling shelving with no counter.

Thoughts appreciated.

Comments (18)