SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cathyinpa

Homemade Ricotta -- Where Have You Been All My Life?

cathyinpa
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'm sure you more seasoned chefs have been making ricotta for years. I've never even contemplated it. Long story short, ended up with whole milk rather than the usual 2% milk due to a little "miscommunication". Nothing was inspiring me, and I couldn't throw it away (my grandmother would have been perched on my shoulder whispering "isn't that a shame" the whole time it glugged down the drain:) Came upon Smitten Kitchen Ricotta. Had some lemons, so I went for it with visions of lasagna for dinner tonight.

Thermometer jerry-rig on stove (ultimate lazy) to reach 190 degrees/then cooling five minutes.

No cheesecloth -- towel will have to do.

After an hour.

then fluffed.

Even though I doubled the recipe, I was a bit under for the lasagna. Such a shame -- after tasting it, I had visions of putting it on just about everything:) Are there t-shirts like the ones on the altered food thread, proclaiming this distinct delicacy? I'd wear one:)

I'd show you the lasagna, but can I tell you I screwed it up? Just keeping it real. Not only did I forget to put the mozzarella in with the ricotta (had to add it as a layer), but then I screwed up the layers too. Oh, and then my son had a piece before it actually cooled so we had some flowing, kind of melding layers HA! Not too pretty.

Putting this one in the arsenal though.

Cathy in SWPA

ps Promise, I've tried to make these pictures smaller, but they never post that way:)

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville