SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Design help please

mxk3 z5b_MI
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have lovely views out all windows of the house except one - the kitchen. My neighbor's house is close to the property line, and frankly it isn't an attractive house and he's got a storage trailer parked right there in my line of sight. I'd like to plant something to block the view but not sure what nor in what arrangement. The site is west of the house; because there's not a large amount space between the two houses, not really any morning or evening sun. The site does get some sun mid-day (maybe about half afternoon, 4-5 hours) but not a super-strong sun because of the tree layout. Another problem is the butt-ugly straggly scrub evergreens he's got planted on the mound. If he would take those down I'd have plenty of options, but unfortunately they're just the other side of my property line so I can't do anything about it. There is a large old willow tree planted just northward of this view which will probably affect what I am able to plant, too.

These pics were taken through the window in February mid-day; not great quality, but you an at least get an idea of what I'm describing. The first is the view right out the window, the second is a pic of the scrub trees. You can see a bit of the willow trunk to the right in the first pic, and a bit of branch canopy in both pics. My property line ends just at the edge of his mound.

I'm thinking maybe virburnums or serviceberries (Amelenchair ?sp), maybe winterberry hollies as shrubbery choices. How about the serviceberries or virburnum in tree form?

Any suggestions are welcome! I really don't have any ideas other than above.

Comments (4)