SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhbabs

Hummingbird plants and attractions

NHBabs z4b-5a NH
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Rather than sidetrack the Hummingbird migration thread any further, I am starting a thread on hummingbird plants. I'd love notes on any particular needs of the plants or experience with them in your garden, but just a list of which ones you have seen them visiting is fine also. I don't do feeders since they attract animals I don't want near the house, but I try to keep something in bloom all summer for the hummers. If you have other attractions (other than feeders which are a given), please add them as well.

Cardinal flower/Lobelia cardinalis blooms in summer and needs consistently moist soil, but given enough water, I've seen in growing in spots ranging from full sun to dense shade.

Salvia guaranitica 'Black and Blue' is always one of the most popular with the hummers here even if it is blue. It isn't hardy for me but is a great pot plant with a long bloom season from some time in June through frost. Likes sun.

My longest blooming hummingbird plant is trumpet honeysuckle/Lonicera sempervirens which starts in late May with a really full bloom and then continues to throw out blooms on new growth until some time in November when we get a hard freeze, long after the hummingbirds have left here. Mine is the cultivar 'Major Wheeler'.

I have a deep red (AKA black) hollyhock/Alcea that gets frequent visits. It's a biennial or short lived perennial that reseeds prolifically. It needs good air circulation to dry foliage, otherwise it can be prone to rust, a foliar fungus. When that has happened to mine, I have removed affected plants and done a good cleanup in the fall and it hasn't been a problem the following year.

Native columbine/Aquilegia canadensis blooms in spring and I've seen in growing in spots ranging from full sun to dense shade. Another easy reseeder, one which plays well with other plants, so I mostly let it do its thing.

I have some old-fashioned red-flowered, green leafed coral bells/Heuchera that I've been dividing and replanting for at least 25 years. The flowers are on stalks that are almost 2' high and it blooms late spring into early summer. The flowers are tiny, so I was surprised that they were attractive to the hummers. Mine are in morning sun, afternoon bright shade.

Monkshood/Actonitum is fine in shade or sun if it stays moist and the ones I grow are fall bloomers, though there may be some late spring bloomers also. Be aware that it is highly toxic to people though that doesn't bother the hummers, so wear gloves when handling.

They often visit my Kniphofia, AKA red hot poker plant or torch lily which blooms in summer.

I grow Delphinium 'Blue Butterfly', a short statured, short-lived perennial variety, and it gets a lot of visits during its summer bloom.

What plants do hummingbirds visit in your garden?

Comments (24)