SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaillean

Show us more signs of spring!

Kaillean (zone 8, Vancouver)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I had big plans for the garden today, but it's cold, wet and dreary. Inspired by Rouge's Forsythia post, I cheered myself up with a walk around the yard looking for signs of spring. Will you share yours too?

I'm happy to see seedlings of our native bleeding heart (dicentra formosa) popping up in my newish front bed. Seeds are coming in from the adjacent ravine.

Even though there aren't a lot of blooms yet (I didn't get my fall bulbs in...wah!), there's lots of colour from the newly emerging spirea leaves and a clump of heather in the front yard.

The spirea also looks pretty good next to this wallflower Bowles mauve, which stayed evergreen for me all winter and is now starting to show some flower buds.

In the background of the above photo, there's an aubretia whose rather garish colour is threatening her longevity. We shall see. I have a restrained summer palette but in spring and fall it's pretty much anything goes. I'm so glad to see any colour after our dreary winter.

What do you think...keeper?

This little patch of muscari is finally taking off.

And I’ve got some new babies waiting for a home in the front too.

In the backyard, the skimmia is doing wonderfully along the garage wall (soon to be painted black or a dark indigo blue). So pleased with this shrub. Tough as nails, red berries all winter and lovely scented blooms in spring. It grows at the foot of this guy who's as grumpy about the rain as me...

Excuse the frisbee in the tree. My dog digs craters in our muddy yard dragging it along with his nails, so it's frequently confiscated.

Our backyard is a disaster while DH adds on a deck. I console myself over the mess and dream of gardens to be while soaking in my new hot tub (Christmas present) on said deck. Still pinching myself, and I gotta say, there's nothing better than a soak after a day of digging in the garden. Don't get the idea we're posh. It's just a little 3-man jobby, 4 if you're friendly. My only regret is that I didn't get one sooner.

But I digress...

Here's a shot of the lovely skimmia up close and personal.

And lovely wallflower wants her close-up too.

Please brighten my day with photos of the signs of spring where you live.

Comments (76)