SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

More Signs of Spring

16 years ago

Is anyone seeing more signs of spring this week?

I am. The Indian Paintbrush (red flowers), wild onions/wild garlic (white flowers) and blue star grass (blue flowers) are in bloom in a lovely patriotic palette. We still have lots of spring beauties and mustard blooming too. More trees are leafing out, but not the big native pecan tree and not the chaste tree.

Today I was repeatedly buzzed by a very aggressive hummer. I think he wanted me to get away from the coral honeysuckle. He was VERY aggressive....flying circles around my head, and then sitting on the electic line while he waited for me to leave.

Not many butterflies today, but it was VERY windy, so maybe they were lying low.

Another sign of spring....the lawn needed to be mowed, so I mowed it. (I'd rather have been planting, but was afraid of the potential hail that never arrived, so I just should have planted after all.)

And, one more sign of spring....the guineas have exhausted the meager supply of bugs at our place (only because it is early and there aren't many bugs out yet), so they are roaming the ranch across the road. (Luckily for us and the guineas, our wonderful neighbors don't mind if the guineas come over and eat all the bugs they can find.)

We always have bobwhites near us, in pastures and fencelines and such, but today they were at our house visiting the bird feeders, which is not usual. I wonder if they are having trouble finding their preferred food?

The mockingbirds are a riot. They follow me around the yard and sing their hearts out. If I stay in one place, they stay there. If I move, they move. It is funny and has gone on for as long as we've lived here.

Tonight the cottontails are nibbling at the hen scratch that the hens didn't eat. I always put out a little extra so there will be leftovers for the bunnies....maybe it they are well-fed, they'll stay out of the garden.

Dawn

Comments (7)