SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nj_mom

Who installs a makeup air system? (or... more stuff I need to learn!)

NJ Mom
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I posted earlier about vent hoods, and was persuaded that a MUA system is necessary. SO... here come more questions...

Where does one obtain a MUA system? Does it come with the hood? If so, is the cost of the MUA included in the cost of the hood? If I have to buy something separately, how much does one of these things cost?

Who installs it? It sounds like an HVAC issue, so would my contractor (who I haven't hired yet, still trying to get quotes) be responsible for getting an HVAC subcontractor to install the MUA thingy?

How much money does this set me back? Does it depend on the type of installation?

My home's heating and cooling is schizophrenic. We have hydronic baseboard heating throughout the house and central AC only on the upper floor of a bilevel/raised ranch. The AC ducts are in the attic space above the kitchen/living spaces/bedrooms. There is no AC on the ground level, so there is no ducting below the kitchen. Which duct would the MUA system be connected to? Is it integrated into the existing HVAC, or will new ductwork need to be installed? Would it cause my heating or electricity bills to go up significantly? Would the AC need to be on all year so the MUA system can work properly?

Comments (8)