SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenny_in_se_pa

Harris Shiranui mandarin (a/k/a Dekopon a/k/a Sumo)

jenny_in_se_pa
6 years ago

I got the tree delivered today (it was originally scheduled for tomorrow but once I found the correct tracking #, it did actually start moving over the weekend). Did I say how much I hate Fedex? It was delivered to a home 2 doors down so I was frustrated that the tracking said "delivered", I looked out the front door, and nothing was there. I eventually walked further out to the walk and saw the box on another doorstep. Anyway...

Here is the box -

Gardenweb · More Info

And the tree (you can compare the size with the ST to the right) -

Gardenweb · More Info

All I can say is wow. The tree is huge! This is the 3 gallon. I measured it to be almost 5ft tall from the top of the soil to the tallest branches on the canopy. The top of the tree was curled over to fit into the box so with it out now, it has been extending/expanding.

What is cool is that the leaves have a thin bit of a wing on the leaf petioles.

Also as a note, here is a closeup of the point where the canopy begins at the top of the trunk so that you can see the trunk (and its thickness, which is not apparent from a distance) and the branching. It doesn't appear to be "crooked". :-D It does have a single thick side shoot, a second somewhat thinner shoot opposite (to form a "Y"), and a 3rd shoot (slightly thinner than the 2nd) to form a triangle to balance the canopy "shape".

Gardenweb · More Info

I will let it adjust to life out of the box before repotting and am looking to maybe try to start putting the trees out this week (around the rain). Temps here are supposed to hit the 70s by Friday and 80 over the weekend. Will have to keep these 2 quarantined from the others, which will be tricky given not having much space outside to do the shade to sun transition. lol

Comments (17)