SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tklumann

Gray backsplash with Santa Cecilia Granite?

Terri K
6 years ago

Hi everyone, I have dover white cabinets with Santa Cecilia granite. Looking for a backsplash. I am painting my home mostly grays and want to find a way tie it all together. Plan is to paint kitchen SW mindful gray. Can I do a soft gray backsplash with light grout? Do I need a darker gray to pull the gray color that is in my granite? The tile is pretty much the same color as wall paint color. Looked at white backsplash but afraid will look odd next to cream cabinets and make cabinets look more yellow. Also I should add I am kind of in love with herringbone pattern. Thanks for the help!

Comments (61)

• Emily Jowers
    6 years ago

Revere Pewter could be a nice compromise color here. It's a nice neutral that's not too warm or cold.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Thanks Beth. I think in one of my idea book purges, I must have deleted. I agree with your comments.
  • Related Discussions

Santa Cecilia or Creme Brodueax Granite Tops

Q

Comments (9)
    I have seen very light pieces of Creme Bordeaux and very dark pieces. There can a large range for that stone. The Santa Ceclia my local stone wharehouse has been getting has had a lot of black in it and is darker than what they used to get. Depends I guess on where they are in the quarry and the stones can change as they move through it, at least that is what the stone seller told me. I would imagine if a stone is available from different Quarries it will also depend on where they get it. The same thing with Giallo Ornamental, both it and Santa Cecelia I liked in the older samples I had seen but were not what I was looking for in the new slabs at the warehouse. If you can get the lighter slabs of Creme Bordeaux, it will be lighter than what I saw locally for Santa Cecelia. Sue
    ...See More

Granite Countertops (Napoli, Santa Cecilia Napoli, Giallo Napoli)

Q

Comments (3)
    Good thought. Another thing that can happen is when they do chip off a sample for you. I was given a chip knocked off a corner of my slab. I used this to go around with for my backsplash. I had to keep saying, "But at home, my counter is more brown rather than taupe." Lighting makes all the difference too. Ouside, I thought I saw more cream colors, not so when it was installed in my kitchen. But, this could also be because when I looked at it over all I was concentrating on the cream. When we templated, I was concentrating on how I wanted the pattern and the cream was probably on in the diameter of the template.
    ...See More

BM Frappe cabinets and Santa Cecelia dark granite--backsplash??

Q

Comments (4)
    I agree with roseabbey in keeping the backsplash quiet, but I disagree with the matte approach. I just had installed today beautiful ceramic tiles which compliment my light santa cecelia incredibly. My contractor was really pushing the stone ... everyone is doing the travertine and I wanted something different. It's not too shiny with the granite. It's classy and spectacular. Once I catch my breath, I'll post a photo. I put sonoma 4 x 4 crackle tile (butter) as base with a pencil liner and pratt & larson stone gloss subway 3x6 above. I'm thrilled. My contractor was wowed at the results as well. Happy Trails!
    ...See More

Backsplash for kitchen?? White cabinets & Giallo Napoli granite

Q

Comments (1)
    The kitchens forum is the best place to get advice on this type of question.
    ...See More
  • tqtqtbw
    6 years ago

Back up and take a picture of your granite. I thought the top inspiration picture was your kitchen. That granite is super warm. You may have a little lighter slab.

• Terri K
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Top picture (in intro to post) is my countertop and this one is mine. it is very warm. Others are inspiration/idea picks. Walls are currently a soft green - color painted by previous owners. No backsplash. Cabinets are being painted Dover white In a couple weeks. I thought a warmer white was better than bright white. Just trying to paint and add backsplash to spruce it up until bigger changes later.

I actually tried revere pewter on walls. We get a ton of northern exposure /natural light in this kitchen. I was afraid it would be too light with light cabinets. The mindful gray is really similar in tone just a shade darker.

• tqtqtbw
    6 years ago

Are you keeping the 4 inch piece in the back?

• Terri K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

4” would be removed. I really don’t like when there is the mini backsplash with another on top.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

I think the Dover white is a good choice,,,just keep in mind that if you plan on changing this counter down the road, you're stuck w/a really creamy off white.

if you do want a splash, please remove that 4" piece. it can be scored in the joint and pried off the wall w/o too much damage.

here are a few tile choices so you can see the colors. doing a light gray or blue gray is a mistake. if you found a tan/gray, that might work.

my granite has similar tones to yours. look at the tiles on the right.

Terri K thanked Beth H. :
  • Terri K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Beth! So helpful. All the trim and doors in my home are dover white, so it works for now unless I want to tackle all of it. I like the dove gray, and in the last pic top right glass (what color is that) and bottom left glass (taupe color?). Here is pic of a sample of gray paint next to granite. Do I need to rethink the color? I thought it looked ok.

• tqtqtbw
    6 years ago

Terri, that little snapshot looks good, but back up to really get the feel of your granite.

• Terri K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

the paint is only on that small area - its just a sample patch the rest is still the green

• tqtqtbw
    6 years ago

I understand. Maybe paint the sample on a big poster board so that you can move it around and check it with the granite in other areas.

• Terri K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Almost forgot I did that! on a piece of cardstock so a little smaller. Also painted huge area on wall, but not next to granite. Had to be careful with grays my house can turn gray purple pretty easily

Those are taken with the natural light from my windows. I am changing my lightbulbs to daylight bulbs to help with the yellowing also

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    That gray is not going to work at all. You can’t fight the strength of the gold and black in that granite. You don’t have a lot of choices with gold overall color. If you must check some brown tones. Clean brown. Or even some gray greens might work. But having been through this with others your choices are limited for a good look.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

very hard to tell about that color without see the entire space, flooring, lighting,,,etc,,,but generally speaking,,that's a cooler tone gray. look into the warmer grays.

the glass top right is from tilebar.com. Loft in Sand frosted, 2x8, glass subway tile.

tilebar also has the Lancaster in ivory

the bottom taupe color is 3x6 American Olean Plaze Taupe (home depot or lowes) on line.

this one is nice too

http://www.glasstile.com/casa-california-field-tile-sizes.aspx

this color too

and wayfair has some warmer gray ceramics. look at thePark Place and this one,,,Retro Soho Chevron

• Terri K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My house is a bit of a mismatch right now without cabinets painted, 3 different colors on the wall and lighting not updated. I think the cooler gray was more inspired by my floors (pic below).

Will update with full pic of kitchen when done in a couple of weeks then come back for more thoughts! Thanks everyone!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

terri,,I think a charcoal tone would look nice w/the gray walls, the flooring and the countertop. plus it's a nice contrast.

• Terri K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Looked at the local tile shop today..... paint color is another I had considered. SW anew gray (strong taupe/brown undertone) I would probably do a herringbone pattern with whatever tile I pick. Top is clay, middle ivory glass, bottom taupe- gray/pewter ? Don’t know if I could go as dark as charcoal when I thought about it. Any thoughts ?

• Molly D. Zone4B
    6 years ago

Can u show more of the countertop in your picture?

• Terri K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• tqtqtbw
    6 years ago

I like the taupe-gray one. The top tile looks pinkish to me.

Terri K thanked tqtqtbw
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

top is too pink, the white glass will take on a blue/green hue once installed (this is because of the glass itself.) so that leaves the taupe one,,,,which is ok, but I think you can do better. but if you want to get a creamier ceramic, I think that would work.

you're trying to force gray upon this countertop and it's not working.

• Terri K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Beth, its an ivory color glass - will it still take on a blue/green hue? I did also see a cream ceramic today just couldn't take home a sample piece. I do like that look and may end up there.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Terri,,,i'd have to take a close look at the glass. the glass they use to make these tiles has oxide in it (i believe) and that's what give all glass it's greenish tint. they do make glass that's pure, but it costs quite a bit more.

I'm not sure with the cream colored. depends how much of the actual glass is allowed to show. personally I think glass goes better with more of a contemporary style kitchen. I think if you did a longer subway it would look updated, but still match your kitchen style. look at 2x8, 3x9,2x10 or 3x12. the two tiles I posted, above, are 3x12. I'd do that or a 2x8

grab a sample of these:

http://www.discountglasstilestore.com/copy-of-3-x-9-beveled-glass-earth-on-sale-10-79-per-square-foot/

Bliss collection

3x12

this design would look perfect with yours (I'd choose the herringbone for the entire wall.

http://www.discountglasstilestore.com/shadebox-light-3-x-12-hand-made-look-glazed-porcelain-tile/

or,,look at the Lux collection. this is a taupe porcelain. 4x11,,,grab a sample of this one too

http://www.discountglasstilestore.com/lux-designer-taupe-4-x-11-75porcelain-tile-sold-by-carton-11-81-square-feet-per-carton-7-41-per-square-foot/

• Terri K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Everyone! Kitchen cabinets are done being updated! I have narrowed down backsplash to two different tiles. The smaller is a glass tile in sand color and larger is off white. Let me know your thoughts. Then I have one other question about how to tile a particular area around my window.

• Terri K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Question 2 - I am planning on removing 4" granite when I do the backsplash. This is how the previous owners dealt with the casing around our kitchen window..... Do I get a new piece of casing and continue down to countertop? Continue down to make a corner that meets the piece that goes on bottom of window and squeeze a small piece of backsplash underneath? One person recommended cutting a small piece of the 4" granite just to stay there and then do backsplash next to it. It all is a little weird and off to me. I do not want to remove granite on window though. Its right next our kitchen sink and gets splashed a lot. Any other ideas or which would look best? Thanks!

• hummingalong2
    5 years ago
    The off white tile is safe because of the cabinet paint. Hard to tell with the small one..you would need to tape a number of them to a board to really get a good impression. Same goes for the off white if you can
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

bring down new window casing to the countertop. leave the granite for the sill. that's the best way I see to do this. (I'd also get plain window casing. nothing w/grooves or lines. just the simple, flat casing.

the glass color seems a little muddy looking,,,,in the photo. does it go better in real life?

I like the larger tile, but do they have it in a almondish- tan color? or more of a creamy tan/white?

https://www.glasstileoasis.com/angle-feather-decor-3-x-12-glossy-porcelain-tile.html

in the picture, it seems a little too bright.

or mushroom glass

• Terri K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The off white might look bright because of the lights being on in the kitchen and it is shiny. I can retake pics in natural light in the morning. It is almost exactly the same shade of off white as the cabinets. Both samples are from tile bar. Santa Monica in Ivory 4x12 and Loft in Sand frosted, 2x8, glass subway tile. The glass is a little muddy - I would probably get a slightly different glass if that one was the final choice color and because I didn't realize when I ordered the sample its a little pricey ($17/sq ft).

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

ah,,,ok,,,as long as it's not the bright white, it should be fine. I like the wavy look. did you see their Lancaster line too? those are also nice. and I think Home Depot (online) has a few wavy look subways as well.

there was another person on here who just finished up matching her Taj quartzite. I really liked her color tiles she picked,,,trying to find out where she got them,,but I thought they might look nice w/your granite.

has more of those darker tones that would play nice against your cabs

she said she picked the one on the left, but it had 3 diff tones? don't know if she purposely picked out 3 diff tones or what,,,but I sure like how it came out. i love the pattern. with yours, if you did one solid tone, I think it would look great.

the lighter color one would be perfect w/your granite

• Carol Sybrowsky
    5 years ago

Sorry, but gray is on it's way out. It has been a "trend" for about 8 or 9 years and is being replaced with warm beige. Pink beige is NOT coming back into style - just the warm beige. Lucky for you that St. Cecilia is a warm beige. Be patient. Even if you think "gray" is your style now, it won't be within the next year or so. Don't put in a new backsplash. Save your money so you can replace your "gray" furniture with warmer, on-trend tones.

• Tammy Stedman
    5 years ago

Carol. What would be a good warm beige. I have same granite with very creamy beige cabinets and looking for new wall color. I have had green 15 years. I too was trying to force gray since tired if the tans. I just don't want cabinets to blend with wall. I have adjoining keeping room with high ceilings, stainless steel appliances.

• Carol Sybrowsky
    5 years ago

Hi Tammy, I am not a Certified Colour expert . However, Maria Killam is. She would be able to give you the best advice, especially if you are planning to paint both your cabinets and walls. Suggest you go to her blog to get some ideas. Also, here is a link to her Colour wheel which will help you get an idea of how the groups of color work together. "Warm" beiges fall in the Orange-Beige and Yellow-Beige categories.

http://www.mariakillam.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/colourwheel.

I just know that putting gray with tan and St.Cecilia won't work. PLUS, gray is on it's way out so why date your decor?

Best wishes, Carol

• Tammy Stedman
    5 years ago

Thanks. Not painting cabinets just walls. Everything light tends to be too close to cabinet color. It doesn't help that the method used had produced a very yellow color. Guess that matches the granite.

• Terri K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Tammy - I think you will find Houzz will give you great advice and a few color experts might even chime in with colors if you get a few pics up and start a new thread. Also remember if its just paint then you can go with whatever color works, who cares about the trends because paint is easily changed when its just the walls.

Carol, thanks for your tips. If you follow the whole thread I have moved away from a gray choice for the backsplash. I am hoping to pick a backsplash to go with the granite and cabinets because those things are not changing - so more of timeless kitchen. If you have any specific recommendations on backsplash tile and I am still deciding so I welcome all advice!!

• Carol Sybrowsky
    5 years ago

Hi Terri K, it is almost impossible to select or recommend exact colors based on on-line images. Suggest that you go to Dal-tile and get one of their boards that contains the tile for their "Essentials - Redefined" collection for wall tile "Semi Gloss and Matte Glazed Ceramic Groups 1 & 2". There are 26 different colors in Semi-Gloss. They offer a wide variety of sizes (including subway) and trim pieces. Something should work. The pricing is pretty reasonable - less than $5 per sq foot.

The showroom will also give you large tiles (at least 4.25 x 4.25) to help you test the colors you like. My final bit of advice is that the color from the granite counter top will reflect onto your backsplash tile. That means if you get your colors pretty close (in otherwords not perfect), you should be able to get a good match.

Terri K thanked Carol Sybrowsky
  • Wesley Seddon
    5 years ago

Terri, I just did a search because I'm having some difficulty making a granite decision for a new construction home we're having built. We've chose Santa Cecilia granite. Our floor choice is a tile plank with beige and grays in it. The interior paint color is a taupe-ish gray. Furniture is natural/warm tones and some dark wood. The Santa Cecilia sample the builder provided is light and has some gray tones in it, but when I went to the granite yard there were a lot of slabs with gold/yellow. So now I'm wondering if I should choose New Venetian Gold because it seems to be more brown than gold. Seems like I'm in the same struggle that you were. I'd love to see your kitchen with the gray walls and the backsplash!

• Terri K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Wesley,

So at this point the backsplash has not happened. I have decided on a tile - just the larger off white tile (pictured above) but unfortunately we had a plumbing problem come up and it ate our backsplash budget for now. Here are a couple of pictures of our kitchen as updated now. The wall color is Revere Pewter at 150%. In an odd way having it be darker brought a little of the green undertone out a little more in a way that works well with the granite. I cannot give too much advice to your decision (I am horribly indecisive myself). Hope the pictures are helpful.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

terri k,,,, looks good. I like the colors. question: can you push that fridge back a few inches? even if it means insetting it into the wall behind it? For some reason, it just looks like it's out too far. (either that or get a counter-depth fridge, but if you have a few inches to move backward, it would be enough)

• Terri K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Unfortunately cannot push back the fridge but it’s older and will die, eventually being replaced by a counter depth one. Even though that will be a balance as on the other side of the fridge there is a supporting wall (holds up our staircase) that is 26” deep. So there will always be a limit with what we can do and still be able to open the fridge doors correctly.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Santa Cecelia granite varies greatly so always good to get your eyes on actual slabs. Still it has mainly a gold brown net impression so grays are difficult to get to work. You have to go toward a warmer wall tone as you did. Waiting on your backsplash could be a blessing in disguise. Beth and I helped another poster a year or so ago and we got a black tile backsplash that worked out really well. Might want to check out that as an option for when you can do it. Glossy finish provided some reflective quality and she had much less natural light than you do. It would work with your cabinet hardware too. Nice job though. Enjoy it!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    I just saw Beth posted that idea when we were first commented on this project! At least we are consistent.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

Flo, yes. I guess she's decided on an off-white tile.

• tharpster14
    5 years ago

Hi Terri! So, now that the project is done, are you happy with the results? We are just getting ready to sand/refinish our wood floors and paint and are in a similar situaction bc our Granite is the same as yours. Our cabinets are already white and we’re going to stain our floors a light brown/natural/gray color. Wish I could switch the granite too but not in our budget yet.

• Terri K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Honestly I LOVE our kitchen now. Its so much more bright and open with lighter cabinets. Obsessed with our flooring, but we went from ugly tile to wood. With changing floor and cabinets I can honestly say I don't have a problem with our granite at all or see a need to replace. Maybe you will feel the same after all is said and done. I never really posted a before pic of the whole kitchen. So here is that so you can see the transformation. Good luck with renovations!

• tharpster14
    5 years ago
    Wow! What a transformation! I think it looks great and the granite looks completely fine. Did you use Mindful gray? I think I’m leaning towards Repose which is on the same swatch (1 lighter). Yes, I love your floors too and are planning to stain a similar shade. Thanks for replying!
    Terri K thanked tharpster14
  • tharpster14
    5 years ago
    Also, what backsplash did you end up with? I’m leaning towards a light warm gray subway.. if you have any current pictures that you can post, that could be great!
  • Terri K
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We tried mindful gray and in the end once I got a large swatch on the wall it looked purple (my home makes a lot of grays go purple). I ended up with BM Revere Pewter at 150%. It brought out the green undertone a lot but I think that’s what makes it work with our granite. As for backsplash kitchen still looks like pic above with none. Don‘t see us adding one for quite a while. I think it looks ok without one and therefore have prioritized other projects for now. I am sure I will come back to it at some point.

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

FWIW - We have Revere Pewter at 150% with our St. Cecilia granite and jacobean stained cabinets. The paint is a nice neutral with the granite and a greige in our house.

• HU-813101141
    2 years ago

Terry, What color would your Kitchen cabinets be?