SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieallenkirby

Farmhouse style

julieallenkirby
6 years ago

Building a new house and so many details scream farmhouse decor, which i am not opposed to but i do not want to go over the top i want to still have the same decor when the farmhouse fad fades. What decor pieces should i go for?

Comments (28)

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

What elements are you talking about?

There are semi-permanent elements that are to stay in the house for a long time, and they define a lot in how we perceive it, like surfaces(flooring, countertops, tiles, stones, wood...), cabinetry, woodwork, fireplace, mouldings..if you're in the process of byilding, you might be referering to these? what about them screams farmhouse? can you give some examples? attach pictures maybe even?

Then there are moveable elements, lights, furniture, fabrics, accessories, art, whatever else your decor will consist of. Is the question about these?

Don't want to be boring; do want to be helpful:)

julieallenkirby thanked aprilneverends
  • deegw
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

IMO, the current farmhouse style is mostly decorative but there are a few parts of the trend that are more permanent. Barn walls and ship lap, sliding barn doors, patterned tile and grey stained floors.

It is okay to buy a giant clock or word saying hangings. It's not a good idea to fill your house with encaustic tile and grey stained floors.

• Related Discussions

Baseboards throughout a farmhouse style home ??

Q

Comments (10)
    We need to make the same types of decisions for our baseboards and our door and window trim. A simple 1x8 was suggested for the baseboards (we will have 10' ceilings) but in addition to concerns about dust-collection I might like to incorporate a touch of elegance. The architectural style is barn/farmhouse which has a certain charm in itself but it's also quite masculine with all of the straight lines and right angles (though not as much as Craftsman). Our doors will be 2-panel with square tops, but I'm partial to French Country style and was hoping to incorporate a simple cove or roundover at the tops. The same issue presents with the doors and windows as I like the overall simplicity suggested here but I'm not sure if I want something as stark as some planks nailed to the wall. Suggestions?
    ...See More

Happy with your Stainless Steel farmhouse-style sink?

Q

Comments (1)
    Stainless steel apron front sinks are incredibly easy to refinish by hand to remove scratches. Not a minute job.
    ...See More

Using white, farmhouse style windows in non-farmhouse?

Q

Comments (37)
    Traditional ? you mean true divided windows where each piece of glass was installed between wood muntins? I can't imagine you could even buy a window like that...maybe at a salvage shop. My experience is with Anderson 400 which offers is the look of true divided windows, are energy efficient, and avoids the snap in/snap out vinyl grids, that break and leave holes in the window frame. K H, tell your husband to take a look...he needs an introduction to muntins in modern age. He won't freeze with these. My neighbor mowed his lawn last evening while we were having guests for dinner. I shut the windows, closed the slider (Anderson as well) and it was like turning off the t v.
    ...See More

Planning a garage addition to my farmhouse style home.

Q

Comments (3)
    It appears that your at your setback limits of the lot on some parameters. And there appears to be a significantly sized tree in the way. Nothing that an architect, lots of earth moving equipment and loads of money can’t manage to solve. But most don’t want to spend 150K on a garage.
    ...See More
  • iheartsix
    6 years ago

Farmhouse style has been around for EVER. My grandparents lived on a horse farm and their home reflected that, a gorgeous farmhouse with decor (waaaay back then) that the farmhouse decor of today is mimicking. In my opinion, it's not going anywhere. Enjoy putting your home together and do it based on your desires and what you will be happy living in :)

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

iheartsix, I'm not sure..I mean of course farmhouses existed and do exist but as they all will look different depending on where they are located I suspect the decor will somewhat differ too. My grandparents also grew in farmhouses but as it was Czarist Russia( Ukraine, to be more precise), I'm sure inside looked different from as if it was Swedish farmhouse or English cottage or maybe farmhouse here in Northeast or farmhouse in the South..

I wouldn't be into much artificial distressing, that's for sure. If that was the question. The whole point of something looking like it's old and had patina-is for it to indeed be older, and to have this charm of being older.

Some things are very personal, like art. Say word art would be the last thing I'd ever buy. If I want word art I'd rather put something together myself, and it won't be any known quote. but many people love it and find it meaningful.

If I was to introduce objects of real farmhouses as I imagine them-I'd go antiquing..now that's a huge fun.

So, to summarize, until I know more from the OP-I'd listen to the location where my house stands..because location dictates a lot what'd be natural for a house of style such and such, and will stay natural, regardless fads..and I wouldn't hurry in filling it. I'd take my time in figuring it out. But that's a very universal advice..not tied to the OP's house, which I don't know yet.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

As for cement tiles-perfect example..a hacienda is also a (important) farmhouse of sorts, just in different locale, and cement tiles and all sorts of patterned tiles would look just great there, because of the particular context.

And somewhere else might look contrived in a while.

To me, where the house is, what region, its history, its landscape..these will be the deciding things for more permant elements of the house.

Lights, furnishings, decor, art-easier to be freer there.

julieallenkirby thanked aprilneverends
  • User
    6 years ago

I grew up in the midwest and had many relatives on farms . . . there were no barn doors INSIDE, there was no shiplap on the walls (LOTS of wallpaper!) and the floors were natural not gray and many had linoleum "rugs" over the wood!

To me farmhouse means a big welcoming kitchen which is the heart of the home and a table big enough for the family but none had that oversize "farm table" you see on television. They also had a dining room with a big table for Sunday dinners when everyone would come. Bedrooms were simple -- rag rugs on the floors, quilts on the beds and white curtains . . . and wallpaper! There wasn't a lot of money for decor if you were a farmer.

I think it is interesting every decade has it's "farmhouse" look -- the 50s and 60s was Colonial MAPLE furniture; in the 70s we painted and antiqued OLD furniture in red, blue, green or yellow; in the 80s it was the antique pine and lots of sideboards which are getting made over today with black paint; in the 90s it was Shabby Chic; in the 00s it was Country . . . and now it's called "farmhouse".

I think every generation wants a more casual approach to decor and farmhouse fits the bill in the teens. What will 20s hold for casual style decorating?

• julieallenkirby
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I do not have photos, we are still designing. By farmhouse i mean we have distressed wood flooring, wood block island and well it is litetally on a farm. There are so many "farmhouse" decor accessories right now, meaning tractor seat stools, farm everything wall art, etc. I just dont want to giet pulled in too far. I still like traditional and eclectic pieces i just dont know what to mix to keep my house from looking like the interior of a barn.

• pricklypearcactus
    6 years ago

At least your house is on a farm! It sounds appropriate to have certain elements of "farmhouse style". Distressed flooring sounds practical for a real farmhouse. And many people love wood block islands for functionality. Tractor seat stools sound like a fun decor item that can easily be changed in the future if you tire of them. Are you doing "barn doors" or putting shiplap everywhere? Those seem to be some of the biggest trends I've seen that would be difficult to change in the future if you tire of them.

You could post pictures of the elements you've selected and I'm sure the experts here could help you add some touches to make the house more eclectic or traditional. Or make suggestions if any of your choices seem too far over the top trendy.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

The only advice I can offer is to put in what you love, and only that, and not worry about a certain style. I moved into a white stucco and red-tile-roof house in the southern California hills which on the inside fortunately had no particular style, except for an arch into the dining room and some arches outside where there was a a covered walkway next to the house. I filled it with paintings, antique Chinese porcelain and Oriental rugs. Some of the furniture is vintage, some antique and most of it modern but along traditional lines. That's what makes me happy and resonates deeply with me, and I think a lot more houses would have real character if people bought only what they love and not what's "in" or "trendy". Look at lots of rooms on Houzz or Pinterest and find your style. Think about what fills you with peace and joy, and then go shopping.

julieallenkirby thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • iheartsix
    6 years ago
    I couldn't agree more with what Ingrid posted. I love my home because it's a reflection of us. I have pieces of furniture made by great grandpa dating back 100 years ago. I have dishes handed down to me that carefully traveled through this country on a covered wagon that I proudly display today. I love vintage and antique shopping. I love mixing the old in with the new. My surroundings are very neutral that would drive the best professional decorator nuts looking for my 'pop of color'. If I decorated my home based on where it's located then by rights it should be filled with tile, flamingos and palm trees :/. Not going to happen. Enjoy filling your home with what makes you feel the most comfortable and happy. Let it be a reflection of you.
    julieallenkirby thanked iheartsix
  • PRO
    Chris Zec Photography
    6 years ago

You seem to already have a sense of where you want to go with a healthy fear of fad and overkill. Trust yourself and go slowly...a new build can be utterly overwhelming. All the advice above is on point in terms of keeping the major, costly and less changeable elements timeless. The accessories can always be changed kind of like a black dress you can accessorize to the occasion. We have sold the same photography to different patrons with entirely different tastes. Depending on the frame they choose (coastal white wood, sleek modern metal, rustic reclaimed wood), the same photo fits in many different designs. Be thoughtful, purposeful and true to your likes and enjoy your new home!

• shead
    6 years ago

Authentic farmhouses didn't have white walls and furnishings and didn't bring rotted, weathered barnwood inside. They were warm, inviting spaces with large kitchens, wood floors, front porches, and casual living. They likely didn't have artwork of cows and pigs on the wall ;)

• localeater
    6 years ago

I smiled at the comment, “Tractor seat stools sound like a fun decor item that can easily be changed in the future if you tire of them.”

Maybe that is true for the poster, maybe it is true for you, but I grew up in the frugal farmer ethos and that just don’t fly with me. Stools are at least $100 each. Stools are functional and comfortable. They should be able to be resanded and stranded. Or metal case can be paintable. And seats and backs will be able to be covered or reupholstered.

Figure out if you are the just replace it or “Use it up, wear it out. Make it do or do without.” kind of person and let that help to guide you.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

i grew up on a farm, my grandparents were both farmers too. my maternal grandparents lived in a foursquare, no farm themes. my paternal grandparents lived in a bungalow, no farm themes. my dad built our house, it was large but plain. my mother decorated with current trends; danish modern furniture in the 60s, mauve austrian curtains in the 80s (ugh on that one...).

farmhouses tended to be houses, on farms. built in the local way, decorated by the wife how she fancied, or what was in style, based on economic reality. easy care finishes in the kitchen. the farm stopped at the door, or at the door from the kitchen to the rest of the house, if she was lucky. farm houses were not decorated like barn houses, which is what the style gurus seem to be confused about these days.

• iheartsix
    6 years ago
    ..."farmhouse style" is simplistic, comfortable and relaxed. My grandparents farmhouse was just that. They didn't have sliding barn doors in the house but they had a side saddle displayed in the family room which I absolutely loved. My grandma had an eye for decorating and if I were to take a guess I'd say it lent itself to more of a English country style. I think today's version of farmhouse is trying to mimic the simplicity of yester-year. The decor trends are fun and easily implemented, but the real feeling of farmhouse living is all very relative and comes right down to the very same thing that seems to be repeated by those who've experienced it - comfortable simplicity. :)
  • deegw
    6 years ago

All these personal stories about farms are interesting but the OP is trying to build and decorate a new house using things that are found in home stores right now.

I am pretty sure she knows the difference between a "real" farm and Fixer Upper style.

It's hard not to be influenced by what is in stores, those are your available choices! And usually the most popular and trendy things are the most reasonably priced because that it what is being mass produced.

I think it's good advice to not buy all at once and not buy many items from a specific store. Decor looks best when it is collected over time and from different sources - travels, antique stores, donations from relatives AND big box stores.

julieallenkirby thanked deegw
  • iheartsix
    6 years ago

"I do not have photos, we are still designing. By farmhouse i mean we have distressed wood flooring, wood block island and well it is litetally on a farm. There are so many "farmhouse" decor accessories right now, meaning tractor seat stools, farm everything wall art, etc. I just dont want to giet pulled in too far. I still like traditional and eclectic pieces i just dont know what to mix to keep my house from looking like the interior of a barn."

Julie, I think you're following your hearts desire, and it sounds like it will be beautiful. The fact you don't want to get pulled in too far decor wise may mean you should live in your home before decorating it. I would take this time to focus on the big things, floor, kitchen, paint, lighting etc. and pieces you come across knowing for sure that it's what you want in your space. Don't let anyone sway you from making these choices based on their likes/dislikes. Once you're in your new space you'll have a feel for what feels right.

julieallenkirby thanked iheartsix
  • julieallenkirby
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all! Yes, I agree maybe i should live in it and collect pieces as they come to me. I just didn't know if anyone had any examples of neutral yet bold types of accessories like rugs or window treatments or wall art. I am just stumped on pieces to start with.

Yes, I am familiar with actual farm houses and the new hobby lobby farmhouse lol. My grandparents were farmers and my grandmother to this day has 70's style carpet in the kitchen and bathroom ha ha ha, but she likes it. I am not putting barn doors any where but i also do not want wall art that says farm fresh eggs or a cow above my couch.

Thanks again for the input, its helps get the wheels turning :)

• shead
    6 years ago

Do you even like farmhouse decor? How would you describe your style? If farmhouse is not your "thing", there's no reason you have to use it even if you are on a farm.

I've used moldings that could go farmhouse or traditional in style and neutral wall colors (Revere Pewter and Repose Gray). I'm a little eclectic in that I like a little of many styles (farmhouse, traditional, transitional, coastal, etc.) I don't think it has to fit one mold.

Peruse the millions of Houzz photos and save pics of rooms that speak to you and make notes of what you like in the room. You'll start to see a pattern emerge after a while and that'll help you hone in on what to start with in decor. If you are in a place to where you could hire a designer, it would probably be money well spent to get a "vision."

• deegw
    6 years ago

I don't know how far you are in the building process but if you can, make sure you have the proper clearance around your windows and trim so you can actually hang curtains. We get many posts from people who have windows stuck in corners or very near a fireplace and they have no room for curtain hardware and panels.

Here is some decent info about purchasing and hanging curtains.

• deegw
    6 years ago

The other issue that we see often with new builds and remodels is that people ignore color undertones or try to mix warm and cool colors and wonder why the space looks "off". They have a grey stained floor and a brown leather couch. Or grey cabinets and tan paint color. Or a predominantly tan granite and bright white cabinets. Grey and tan are neutral but they often don't play nice together.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

". If I decorated my home based on where it's located then by rights it should be filled with tile, flamingos and palm trees :/."-well..it's not exactly what I meant:)

My house also reflects me, and my and my family's life-and I lived in three very different countries.

I meant semi permanent elements..and was trying to get an understanding of what the question is about..I thought I was clearer than I probably was:)

"I love vintage and antique shopping. I love mixing the old in with the new. "-yeah well then we both have a lot in common:)

Unfortunately I don't have anything left from my greatgrandparents. Not from my grandparents either if to think of it

I would love to

It didn't happen that way

I do have something though.

It's a name.

I loved reading your posts. I guess I'm a bit homesick and your posts reminded me of it.

All the thread actually did.

Julie you sound a very thoughtful person, authentic to herself. It's already a prediction of success, to me.

• iheartsix
    6 years ago
    Oh April, my comment was not a reflection of anything you said - just a general 'out there' comment :). I too have enjoyed this thread. Farmhouse to me also brings back the feeling of old - I love walking through antique shops, I can easily chew up 2 hours just looking. I find it relaxing. :)
  • Lori Wagerman_Walker
    6 years ago

I think I understand exactly what you mean and you've gotten great advice here. I can only reiterate what everyone else has said!

The one thing that sticks in my head is don't buy (or build) something to fill a space. Get what you LOVE and find a space.

If you stay true to that, you're home may not have a "theme" but it will be a true reflection of YOU!

I mean I put freaking RED cabinets in my kitchen. So many people tried to talk me out of that. Everyday I'm glad I did it, b/c it's ME! <3

• apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Ninigret wrote: "the farm stopped at the door." Yes, that's what I have seen. You can choose comfortable furniture you really love for your new house. Set a dollar amount for trendy purchases, say, $10, $50 or $100 each or less for three, five or ten items, depending on your budget. The longer-lasting things should be where your money goes.

If you are not sure what's likely to be out of style in a couple years, walk through the decor area of Big Lots, TJ Maxx or Home Goods. It'll be clear pretty quickly. Yes, they have classic pieces, too.

• homechef59
    6 years ago

I would suggest that anything you decide to do in a farmhouse style should be a temporary item. Shiplap is paneling on the horizontal. Barn doors are exposed pocket doors. Trendy sayings are paint.

I would build with an eye to classic, timeless design that functions well for your environment. I don't have a problem with the shiplap trend because it really is paneling. I really don't like the barn door trend. Now that you see kits in Home Depot, you know it's over done. That's one trend I would avoid. If you need a pocket door in a space, get a pocket door. You want to paint your windows frames black, go ahead. It's paint.

Where I live, rural Georgia, one type of vernacular design is called Plantation Plain. If you look at it, it's farmhouse, only 150 years earlier. Most homes in a mass subdivision won't carry that type of architecture. Keep it simple.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    6 years ago

Now that you see kits in Home Depot, you know it's over done.

Right????? But I love them. I had a couple planned for our house, but haven't made them yet. I needed to live in it first to decide if they were needed. I think one might be, but the other seems to be fine without (laundry room & master bath)