SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dc5385

Kitchen cabinets -- glass doors and open shelves

Devi
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'm getting close on the kitchen design (thanks for the help on layout last week). I'm going with Ikea + custom doors, and while I'm not very good with the software, am attaching what I've got.

Some context...

- Kitchen opens onto dining room (separated by peninsula) and dining room is open to living room

- Colors will be be mostly white (white shaker cabinets, white counters) and floors will be a neutral hardwood (medium-dark, not too ashy, not too warm) with brass hardware and a navy panels behind the peninsula, and a mosaic backsplash in blue/white

- The area behind the fridge by the window is a play area for the kids (for now -- will put a table there when they are older) and will have cushions for that banquette

- We have a full walk-in pantry through one of the doors, and so I don't need all of the cabinet space as heavy duty storage, hence my open shelving question below

- I know the cabinets by the sink overlap with a door -- they won't, really, I just can't seem to edit it here.

My questions...

1) Is the placement of the glass doors ok? or should it be the singles on either side that are glass, or all four doors? Does it matter if it's not balanced with glass on the opposite side (where we keep messy things)? These will house our dishes -- all white + glassware, so will look tidy (as tidy as we can be, anyway). Or should we not have any given there may be a lot going on in the room already?

2) Is there anywhere that lends itself to open shelving? I love the look and wouldn't mind saving on a cabinet. I would use them for nice things (cookbooks, display-worthy dishes or mugs, brass or other metal heirlooms, pour-over coffee supplies). I am debating on top of the dishwasher, next to the peninsula in place of the 36-inch, and then back behind the fridge. Could add some nice warmth if shelves are in wood, since cabinets are in white, but also worried that given some of these choices are trendy, then is it piling on too many looks with the glass doors and the open shelves?

Comments (16)