SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Capris

lucillle
6 years ago

Yes, there is something slightly odd looking about pants that end halfway down ones calf. But I don't care, it is warming up and I'm getting ready to bicycle again. I ordered a couple different kinds of capris including JustMySize French Terry (just the name sounds comfy).

Unlike the area at my previous house, this area has miles and miles of beautiful bike paths. My amazing new-to-me bike I got a few months back needs a front brake adjustment so my son will do that next time he is here and by then I will have my wonderful French Terry capris. (I'm not sure how French Terry is different than American Terry, but it does sound a bit appealing and exotic).

In the meantime I'm going to do a merciless declutter of the clothes in my closet. I went through a phase of buying cuffed sleeve linen shirts and they are too heavy so out they go. If the Houston area had normal springs like everyone else it would be different, but the weather seems to go from winter to very hot summer pretty fast without a lot of cool breezy spring days.

Comments (56)

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

An addendum as a different thought... I didn't wear shorts at all last summer because of my knee, which was swollen like a grapefruit. I didn't want to deal with people asking what was wrong, when the only answer was, "I don't freaking KNOW, go away!" Now that I know, and I had surgery to remove a benign tumor this past December, and I have scars on BOTH sides of that leg, I can actually SAY what the problem was. So, I will wear shorts this summer, and if they don't like the scars, that's not my problem, simply because I FINALLY have an answer to the situation....

... but it is still lifelong engrained into me to NOT wear capris... So it goes.

• User
    6 years ago

I just can not wear them. I'm short, they look like "high waters" on me. As much as I've tried they just don't look good. Only a few women can wear them

and look good.

• Related Discussions

I'm such a slub...what to wear other than capris?

Q

Comments (68)
    Well, ladies...I went out and got a new pair of crop/long capri pants -- in khaki! Christopher Blue, a new line to me. So many of them didn't fit, but this pair did, so I thought of you all and went ahead and did it. Clearance at Nordstrom Rack : ) I tried Terri's skirt at Target but it really didn't do anything for me. I think I need more structure, rather than less now...although if I won the lottery, I'd dress year round in Eileen Fisher and never think about anything else. I LOVE that line, partly because she gives some of her attention to petites and doesn't write us off. I saw some crops in Eileen Fisher (which I can't afford for everyday wear), so I figured what the heck go ahead and try other ones on. I will definitely be aware and be more choosy than just getting any old capris/crops now, though. The Fibonacci site is a great reminder. And stinky, you made my day. An Amazon, hm?: :)
    ...See More

Miles Talbott, Capri, Braxton Culler and Rowe

Q

Comments (2)
    Capri and Braxton Culler feature a lot of rattan, or at least they always did. Rowe is a mid price manufacturer with some nice styling. Other mid price lines to look at include, Best, Bassett, Flexsteel (a little higher price), Klaussner (a little lower price). All these companies use plywood frames and no sag springs. In my opinion Rowe would have the nicest styling. As far as the manufacturer suggested by Rmanbike I am not familiar with this company but he has suggested this before so perhaps it is worth a look. There are some nice smaller manufacturers not that well known that are worthy of investigation.
    ...See More

HELP ! (New kitchen) Verona quartz calacatta capri? Or vadara?

Q

Comments (4)
    I really, really love the calacatta capri.. OMG! Do they have a distributor in Gainesville?
    ...See More

Capri or knee length recommendations?

Q

Comments (32)
    https://www.jockey.com/catalog/product/jockey-womens-cotton-stretch-slim-flare-capri?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrLudke_k8AIVvDizAB0XJgwGEAQYAyABEgKtM_D_BwE&isSale=True?cm_mmc=gsc--Women%27s-Activewear-Pants--728616-_-100143325&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&scid=scplp100143325&sc_intid=100143325&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIrLudke_k8AIVvDizAB0XJgwGEAQYAyABEgKtM_D_BwE:G:s https://www.prana.com/p/koen-capri/W41202292.html?dwvar_W41202292_color=Black&dwvar_W41202292_size=XL&mid=paidsearch&eid=google+adwords+us&nid=tnt_shopping_br_past_season_lf&oid=womens-bottoms&gid=6&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrLudke_k8AIVvDizAB0XJgwGEAQYDCABEgIOoPD_BwE https://www.google.com/search?q=cropped+yoga+pants&client=firefox-b-1-d&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi7hJaR7-TwAhWPKM0KHV6wDvsQ1TV6BQgIEIwC&biw=1920&bih=966#spd=17509385777282659618 https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3032725/womens-danskin-high-waist-yoga-capris.jsp?skuid=33480382&CID=seo_offers&utm_campaign=SAG&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google&utm_product=33480382
    ...See More
  • lucillle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

They don't look good on me either :) But they are wonderful and comfy, and comfort makes me much more active. And being more active makes me happier and healthier.

I bet Martha isn't worrying much about how she looks:

http://people.com/pets/worlds-ugliest-dog-contest-2017-winner/

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

They are only considered "out" by those who don't care for the look. And I would dispute that they look good on only a few. They look a heck of a lot better on many women who should avoid wearing any kind of shorts!! They do not need to be skin-tight, leg adhering capris - they come in looser styles as well. I live all summer in several different sets of loose legged linen capris - and I am neither tall nor particularly skinny (in fact, a bit more the opposite :-)) It just makes a difference with what you pair them with. And they should look like high waters - that's what capris are!!

• Dolly
    6 years ago

Love capri length in pants or leggings.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

I live in capris from spring till Autumn cold sets in. Dont think I've worn shorts since I was 40.

Lucille those linen shirts should be grat in the summer...no better fabric in the heat.

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

Yep, High waters look like capris. Not buying either to wear. However, as noted, for average height women, they look terrific.

• joyfulguy
    6 years ago

Just wear whatever "suits" you, gals!

The heck with those who would force you into other stuff ...

... or should that be ...

... "stuff you into ... ..." (I need a short space, while I think what).

o j

• lily316
    6 years ago

Well, then I'm out of style. As soon as it warms up I wear nothing else. I have a couple dozen pairs of capris in all colors and I love them with my Birkenstocks. I have long legs and think they look fine on me. I wear shorts too, just not short shorts like I used to.

• Louiseab
    6 years ago

I love them too, but on my too short legs they look odd. They usually come to just above my ankles. I usually wear leggings that are always too long but I can scrunch them up a bit

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

I have my French Terry capris on right now. I live in capris during warm weather. I doubt I look like a fashion model in anything these days. But I am comfortable and that's my goal. I wear nice clothes and match my clothes but I will not be uncomfortable anymore. I lived through the high heels, dresses and hose stuff. I deserve to be comfortable!

• annztoo
    6 years ago

I can't wear cropped pants....too long on the calf...... but I love all my capris. One of my favorite is Eddie Bauer Horizon Capris, expecially for any activities.

• kathyg_in_mi
    6 years ago

Love capris! With my varicose veins, you don’t want to see me in shorts! I’ve had people ask me if they hurt. Nope.

• eld6161
    6 years ago

I have two pairs of the Eddie Bauers!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

Capris have never been out; as a matter of fact, the style is enjoying a big popularity surge these last few years. I have a few pairs. I have a picture of my mother wearing capris as a young woman and I'm 66 years old, buying them now. What I personally don't like are the wide leg cropped pants but I know that they must be comfortable.

I spend my summers in dresses, shorts, capris, and even bought a cute skort last year for being out on the boat. Madras, no less, lol. How is that for a blast from the past? Love it.

• ldstarr
    6 years ago

I love wearing capris. To me, they are more modest than shorts, but still cool. My only problem is finding them long enough, as I have a 36" inseam!

• socks
    6 years ago

I live in capris all summer. I'm not going to wear a dress or skirt, no shorts, jeans or long pants too hot, so capris it is. I don't think I look great, but it's what works at this point. Have fun, Lucille.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

The secret of wearing capris-length pants is that they absolutely cannot be tight fitting ANYWHERE on the leg. They should be a loose, straight leg pant and hit mid-calf. They are particularly flattering on a short woman - long pants (especially in summer), can make one look as if one is standing in a bucket.

I wore knee-length bermuda shorts for years; alas, even with exercise, these legs need to be semi-covered. It's hot in KY and I don't want to wear long pants for everyday. I'd die!

Right now, I'm searching for new white summer capris - hard to find exactly what I want - may have dressmaker just whip me up 3-4 pair.

• eld6161
    6 years ago

Rhizo, I haven't seen them in the stores I frequent in the past two years. I am going to try to find new ones this year.

• OklaMoni
    6 years ago

Artemis when some one asks me, what happened to your leg, I usually reply : oh crap, is it bleeding again?

This usually turns in to laughter, or they clam up and leave me alone.

Moni

6 years ago

Anglo, they do not have to be loose. Mine pretty much follow the lines of my legs. Eld, I've been buying my clothes online for a few years.

• marilyn_c
    6 years ago

I have a couple of pairs of capris and a couple pairs of leggings. I don't think I look good in capris....maybe because I don't have any sandals and don't think they look good with sneakers and socks...but I wear them around home. I didn't buy the capris or the leggings....someone gave them to me. The leggings are really comfortable and I wear them around home too. I wear shorts at home....but not out in public. I think capris look totally fine on other people....I just think they look gawky on me. The only place I usually go is to the feed store and the supermarket, so I just put on a pair of jeans to go there.

• susie53_gw
    6 years ago

I don’t worry about what others think about how I dress. I am neat and clean with my dress. That’s all that counts.

• ratherbesewing
    6 years ago

The Eddie Bauer "capris" look like petal pushers to me. Thoughts?

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    6 years ago

I like the comfort of capris but I find it difficult to find any that are cut in a way that flatters my figure. I am 6' tall but my legs are not especially long for my height, and I feel like capris often make my legs look even a bit shorter. I wear heels with them to counteract this effect, but it can be tough to find just the right combination of pant length and shoe height. I am also hourglass shaped with substantial thighs, and rarely do I find a capri with a leg shape that de-emphasizes my thighs. It's usually just easier to wear shorts, but I do keep an eye out for capris that might work, and snatch them up when I see them.

• dragonflywings42
    6 years ago

A few years ago I read that any sort of cropped pant (anywhere between bottom of knee and above ankle) will generally look best on most people if the edge of the pant stops where the leg is not the widest. If the pant stops on the widest part of the calf, the visual is that the leg is that width. If the pant stops above or below the widest part, the visual is one of tapering and is more flattering for most of us. I like cropped pants that come to about half way between the widest part and the ankle on me. When I have a comfortable cropped pant that comes to the wrong place, I usually roll them up a turn or too.

I agree with others that capris/cropped pants/pedal pushers are not "out". Where did that idea come from? That's just crazy talk.

• wildchild2x2
    6 years ago

Tapered fitted capris on relatively fit women are OK and a few women have bodies to pull off the look nicely. But those straight, wide legged hobbit pants flatter no one. Especially from the rear. Every time I see them I think of the words wide load.

• arkansas girl
    6 years ago

Here's the great thing about this day and age of clothing, you can wear whatever the heck you want to wear...everything is in style and nothing is in style. You could go to the thrift shop and buy/wear an outfit from the 80s and I don't think anyone would even much notice. I like that I can wear whatever and no one is going to point a finger and say I look out of style.

If you enjoy wearing capris then just wear them! If they are still selling them in the stores then how out of style could they be? Just because teenagers aren't wearing them anymore doesn't mean anything and what do THEY know anyway...HAHA!

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    6 years ago

I never wore Capris, I wore Pedal Pushers.

Sue

• User
    6 years ago

I wear them all the time. I love capris. I don't like my legs so I won't wear shorts. And when it's hot outside capris are perfect for me.

• chessey35
    6 years ago

I wear capris all summer - they may not look the most fashionable but I don't wear shorts and not about to wear long pants in the summer. I find that I tend to wear what I like and what is comfortable and looks good(to me at least) and is appropriate for the occasion. If someone takes "offense" at the look, then that's their problem.

• Elizabeth
    6 years ago

I wear capris and not shorts. I live in a cooler climate thankfully. Capris are just a little cooler that full length pants and and I am too old to wear short shorts. DH says they look fine. Ya know, the generic "fine"

6 years ago

Teens are wearing capris and pedal pushers and clam diggers! Believe me, so are the younger girls, who look adorable with their skinny cropped pants and sneakers.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I thought for sure that someone would say Martha (about 10 posts down from the beginning of the thread) is cute, which I think she is. Everyone has their own perspective of beauty which was my point in introducing Martha to the conversation.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

My legs are too short for capris so I wear bermuda length shorts either just below the knee or above...what we also used to call a walking short. That knee area is the best length for me for dresses too.

• socks
    6 years ago

Skorts are too hot.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    6 years ago

Capris are perfect for me, I don't wear shorts.

• FlamingO in AR
    6 years ago

I have to shop around for capris that are the right length, which for me is just below the knee, above the calf. It’s just too hot sometimes for long pants and they look silly when it’s 95° outside. I don’t wear shorts in public anymore unless I’m on a beach.

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

As I've noted elsewhere, they look great on other people. On me, they look like I couldn't find long enough slacks. Which happened during a period of my earlier life.

Enjoy them. I am going to have to figure out how to enjoy shorts again, after getting two long scars around my knee area last December. I guess I can look for Bermuda shorts for tall people somewhere...

• Sylvia Gordon
    6 years ago

Artemis you remind me of a story one of my old co-workers told me. She has big, long surgery scars on the sides of both her knees. Back in the 1980's, when she traveled for her job, she said she was going through an airport when a woman approached her and said very tactfully, "ma'am I knew you'd want to know, you have terrible runs in your pantyhose." Katherine said "I told her thanks!"

• User
    6 years ago

I found decent capris last year, cant' find any this year. There are all wide leg, yuck. The wide legs make all body shapes look short and dumpy, frumpy.

Are there any makers of fitted capris that you've found recently?

• dedtired
    6 years ago

I don't know where you live but capris haven't been seen around here in a couple years. They have been replaced by ankle length pants and capri length leggings. I was looking at some travel pictures of me from a couple years ago, mostly wearing capris. What was I thinking?? I would look better in knee length shorts. The capris are so dorky looking. After seeing those photos, I am burning whatever capris I might have in the back of the closet.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

KT is a pretty independent group of people. It is interesting to me to see who won't wear capris because of a self image of perceived beauty or lack thereof, and which people mention comfort.

I'd be happy to agree with anyone who may not think they are flattering, but I'm also happy to be at a point where worrying about that doesn't take up much of my time.

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

There's lots of unattractive/unbecoming clothes for sale at any clothing store. If not, how else could people who wear clothes that are unbecoming or unattractive (and we all see many of them) find things to buy?

As a male who has spent a lifetime observing women, my own take is that capris look great on young women who have a fresh and flirty look. Middle aged and older women - not so much and they can find other styles to look more attractive in. A few can pull it off, most can't. Just like the leotard/yoga pants conversation that happened here before - it can work for some but it doesn't for most.

• dedtired
    6 years ago

I was talking about how capris looked on me. Not good. Crops are better if the leg isn't too wide. Talbots is moving away from capris and calling them skimmers, but they look the same to me. I will readily admit that I care about my appearance.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think there is a lifetime of koolaid drinking involved for those who will not wear certain things because it compromises their idea of what their body 'should' look like. I'm not judging that, we see the world the way we have been taught to see it.

Men for instance will judge that certain things look better on younger people, and without realizing, if we are not careful. we absorb as our own their concept of 'better'. Heck, they judge breasts and other parts too, and the winner gets to be in Playboy or some such. And then women save for years in order to buy globs of stuff surgically implanted in their chest so they have 'better' breasts.

I've come to a point though, that I will admit certain comfortable items may not be the height of fashion, but I'm going to wear them anyway.

• anoriginal
    6 years ago

i start and end the school year in a building that is mostly NOT air conditioned. September and June can be BRUTAL. surprising how pants just 5-6" shorter than usual can make a world of difference in comfort..

• lucillle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just got my French Terry capris. So comfortable! Also wearing a sports bra which is comfy too. Ahhhhhh!

• Fran
    6 years ago

I love capris and wear them in Florida all winter and in the summer back in Mass. The fall is the only time I wear long pants any more. I'm tall however and have long legs. If you are short, skimmers are a good alternative to capris.