SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

I'm such a slub...what to wear other than capris?

mahatmacat1
12 years ago

Oy, I must have gotten lazy in the last 15 years (approx. since my DD was born)...I've read now that capris are completely declasse (I'm so declasse that I don't know how to do the accent mark and if someone tells me I'll probably forget it...) but what else are you supposed to wear, when you're a woman over 50, and you want to be able to run around and move, and it's too hot to wear jeans and you don't want to inflict shorts (and a few yucky veins) on the general populace??? Jean skirts don't work for me -- I feel they keep creeping up my ribs, iykwim?

What do you do? I'm finding myself wanting to pull out the capris but knowing I'll look like a dork (which I really don't want to -- I'm trying to move past the 'harried mom' look now that my only child is in high school). Is it all Beatrice Wood flowing muu-muus for everyone? Or what?? TIA for any replies, specific or vague.

Comments (68)

• teacats
    12 years ago

I wear capris all of the time.

Can NOT imagine wearing shorts! Ever.

Yes. I do wear Keds with my capris.

Skinny jeans? Not in my life!

If people don't want to look at me. Fine. So Be it!

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Long shorts don't have to look dumb. It's all down to the cut. The last picture is more my style but they can be dressed up or down and can still look real stylin for those of us over 50.

• Related Discussions

Anything other than Smartstrand?

Q

Comments (9)
    Your DC14 has auto adjusting height so you should be fine with the Smartstrand. We have the Sorona Smartstrand (not the Silk) and love it. We also have a Dyson--the original Ball and while it is a little harder to push, it's not that bad (ours does not have auto adjusting height either). Had Stainmaster carpets in our last house and stains would "come out" then reappear a few weeks later--very frustrating. Have not had that problem with the SS--even when DS2 tracked blood from a cut foot all over the barely off-white SS in his bedroom. A little cold tap water and a clean cloth and the stains literally disappeared. How long do you want the carpet last compared to how long the Stainmaster should hold up? Our carpet guy told us we would be replacing our Smartstrand because we changed our decor long before we had to replace due to wear and tear. Spending a little more on the SS and not having to replace or deal with reappearing stains is definitely worth the upcharge (at least to me). Also, are you pricing the Sorona SS or just the Silk? The regular should be less expensive--definitely check out the big box stores for competitive pricing as many local dealers will work with you to get your business if they know that you know you can get it somewhere else for less. Something to think about... We had the same problem with our cat too. We switched to Evolve Maintenance Formula dry food and Natural Life canned food. It has made all the difference for her & us and it doesn't break the bank! Hope this helps!
    ...See More

QOTD Do you sew things other than quilts?

Q

Comments (18)
    I am not above sewing anything I can fit under my machine's presser foot. I used to make most of my clothes, got away from it for while and have started back up again. I do it because I can make them fit better and I'm disgusted at the quality of the sewing in store clothing compared to what is used to be. I've had too many expensive outfits fall apart quickly and I hate the raw seams in most of them. I do most of the house sewing like curtains and table linens, even dish cloths. Knowing to sew got me through some very lean times when it was the only way I could afford to give Christmas gifts to any but my own immediate relatives. My most ambitious projects? I sewed a formal for my sis when she was a student wife and couldn't afford a new one. Also made her a fully silk-lined wool suit when she got pregnant she could wear when she was too pregnant for her old wardrobe, but not showing enough for maternity clothes. Speaking of which, I was a very active pregnant woman back in the days women weren't. LOL. So I had to sew my own pregnancy swimwear. I did a full bridal gown, and then a velvet ballerina gown for my last marriage in wine red. (Christmas time) I do nursing scrubs and dog clothes and pillow cases too. Children's winter coats and christening gowns. Other fabric arts as well. I got into quilting as a Johnny-come-lately.
    ...See More

Do I have too...I don't wanna...Not happening....Capris...

Q

Comments (21)
    I think "they" are the ones that want my money in their pocket, Nope, not me, I wear what I want, when I want. Color doesn't matter, and here in the Dallas area its never to cold. It is funny though, to watch people, when I worked at WalMart if we got a slightly chilly day, you'd see everything from shorts and tank tops to parkas! Ellie
    ...See More

Capri or knee length recommendations?

Q

Comments (32)
    https://www.jockey.com/catalog/product/jockey-womens-cotton-stretch-slim-flare-capri?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrLudke_k8AIVvDizAB0XJgwGEAQYAyABEgKtM_D_BwE&isSale=True?cm_mmc=gsc--Women%27s-Activewear-Pants--728616-_-100143325&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&scid=scplp100143325&sc_intid=100143325&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIrLudke_k8AIVvDizAB0XJgwGEAQYAyABEgKtM_D_BwE:G:s https://www.prana.com/p/koen-capri/W41202292.html?dwvar_W41202292_color=Black&dwvar_W41202292_size=XL&mid=paidsearch&eid=google+adwords+us&nid=tnt_shopping_br_past_season_lf&oid=womens-bottoms&gid=6&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrLudke_k8AIVvDizAB0XJgwGEAQYDCABEgIOoPD_BwE https://www.google.com/search?q=cropped+yoga+pants&client=firefox-b-1-d&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi7hJaR7-TwAhWPKM0KHV6wDvsQ1TV6BQgIEIwC&biw=1920&bih=966#spd=17509385777282659618 https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3032725/womens-danskin-high-waist-yoga-capris.jsp?skuid=33480382&CID=seo_offers&utm_campaign=SAG&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google&utm_product=33480382
    ...See More
  • tinam61
    12 years ago

You can look frumpy or you can not look frumpy. You can look stylish and great and not look frumpy. I am 50 and I wear capris. Actually, I wear cropped pants more than capris. I am on the short side. In warm weather I hate long pants as much as I hate shoes! LOL I wear either a straight pant leg or I have a couple of pairs of a more flowing cropped pant - but they are not full and gathered looking around the top. Fabric gathered up around the waist can make anyone look frumpy! I like the look of dresses and skirts but it's rarely for me. I do more skirts than dresses tho - occasionally!! The top and the shoe you wear make a huge difference. Sneakers/socks will look frumpy. Sweats look frumpy! Try yoga pants instead. I love those and they also come in a capri and cropped length. Don't wear a baggy shirt/top.

I'm not a big jean person, but for warm weather I do have a lighter weight pair and I just a few weeks ago bought a pair of the cuffed jeans and have worn them and got compliments!

I don't believe you have to follow everything that "is in style" to look stylish. I would rather have my own look than look like every maniquin in the store, or models in a magazine.

It gets too hot here in the south to not wear shorter pants and/or shorts, etc. We go to the beach, the lake, camp, etc., etc., etc. and I couldn't survive without shorts, tanks, capris, etc. However, you have to find what looks best on your body. I do not love my thighs and need a longer short, but the knee length do not look good on my short frame. Just experiment and you will find what looks good on you. Call me vain, but I'm a firm believer in looking your best.

tina

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Tina, I can so relate to much of your post. I almost never have shoes on at home and never wear dresses but once in a while I will do a skirt and top. I rarely wear jeans. Love my black snug roadrunner workout shorts with a 5" inseam and black fitflops with fake gemstones but other than that it's longer shorts, capris and a nice top for me. Like you I'm shortish at 5'4 1/2. However, I'm long legged with a shorter body so even though short the longer length straight cut shorts do well.

• User
    12 years ago

I think it's regional, I live in rural NNY and women here - even those, like me, who are far north of their mid-20's - wear capris and shorts all the time. My mother and aunts, who are all at least 75 or so, wear shorts out to dinner, running errands, etc. I wear linen or khaki Bermuda shorts to work in the summer (and I have a professional job, albeit at a university, where it's pretty relaxed) and so do lots of other professional women.

I don't think that women should feel as if they are "inflicting" (my word) their less-than-perfect features on people, men certainly don't, why are we so worried that someone will think less of us because we have chubby knees, spider veins or age spots? My own MIL won't wear sandals, hasn't since she was in her 30's because "My feet are so ugly no one should have to look at them" (and it's not even true). I just don't get that mindset, and don't give a damn whether anyone thinks I dress nicely or not, I'm comfortable, happy and have pockets (something you don't usually get with skirts, and, oh, yeah, I hate carting a purse around too) and mr. sandyponder likes how I dress, so it's all good IMO.

sandyponder

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

I agree with Tina, Flyleft...wear whatever style makes you happy! Happy trumps being "in style!" If you want to send the message that you are staying "current," you can do that through shoes, as others have mentioned, your jewelry, by wearing some "fashion" colors, and with your haircut.

If capris are flattering on you and you like them, then they are for you, and you should stick with them imo!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Beautiful thin people can look good in almost anything, I have a friend who is that way, but she can get away with things I can't and I have to put quite a bit of effort into looking "effortless"!

It's hard to say no tennis shoes, the right ones worn the right way look stylish, same with shorts, skirts and capris.
    Nearly anything really.

But accentuating your best body features does make any woman look better.

The purpose of the original conversation is to discuss style somewhat, of course we can all wear whatever we want,
    look however we want, no ones cares, but it is deceptive to think just because we like something doesn't mean it's stylish or looks good!

If you want to display unattractive body features, have at it. Nobody cares. But, imo, looking good makes you feel better and the people around you will treat you better.

And I do put effort into looking good around my husband when he is home. I do it for him, not myself.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

That's weird, some of my long short pictures disappeared from my above post. Why would that happen?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I can still see them. I like those look a lot btw although I like more color.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Hi Bumble,the ones I just reposted are not showing up in their original place above on my computer.
    I like more color in the tops too! I just decided on basic to show that not all long shorts are big tents. I like a little stretch in my shorts, a certain fabric and a straight cut thats maybe a little tapered at the end with tiny slits on the side for further comfort. I ususally can't find all that and that is why I buy sale rack pants and have them altered.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

the bottom left of that last quartet of pics is totally my style, tho i am getting a tiny bit(!) older...don't know how much longer i can try to pull off that type of look!!

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

busybee, JackieO wore that look to the end. There are no age requirements. It's all down to fit, and the right fabric to compliment your body type.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

O.K., let's organize a shopping trip! I can't believe how many of y'all have responded to my desperate query : ) I'll just be a bit more specific: I've read in a couple of places, which I respect but which I can't seem to find right now, that capris are essentially the summer version of mom jeans. eek. they didn't specify what kind of capri, just said they wouldn't be caught dead in them etc. I do believe in comfort and ease and personal style for sure -- even told as much to a very prominent exponent of dressing in one's own style rather than acc. to 'fashion', that I appreciated very much the message she sent and shared it a lot with my DD.

Yet I would wear them before long shorts just because my knees don't make me very happy now. I love things that hit just in that little curve between the knee and the beginning of the calf muscle.

which leads to: sweeby, thanks for your question. I do like the rolled jean look --that might be a possibility -- I do tend to have very heavily muscled calves, not long and lean. I've been known to spend entire summers in my Keens wardrobe too : )

skorts are a thing I used to love until about my mid-40s. Now when I try them on I feel like I'm on back on the field hockey team : )

I think I'm somewhere in what Joanie said -- I don't want to dress too young, but I also don't want to dress older, either...before I gained about 25 lbs, I always used to dress in vintage clothing, actually...but that was in NYC and Philly, and pre-mom-ness. I've been in the fashion witness protection program since then, but the coast is clearing and I have to discover my style again. It's not easy when you haven't really paid attention to it for over a decade! : (

I also didn't mean to offend anyone -- I do have several pairs of capris and was happily preparing to wear them again, but saw those statements and realized I didnt want to send any messages I wasn't aware of or endorsing, iykwim. think I'll try to look for some of the capris/maybe even a skirt or two (or a skort even if I an find one that doesn't cut off above the knee)...THANK YOU for all the good suggestions and especially pictures! One thing I notice: khaki might be a very good color to gravitate toward, since it's pretty close to skin color. The bright-jeans look would not work on me since I'm only 5'3" and can't wear heels -- a longer, less split color line is better on me...I think...ugh, I don't know.

so thanks again -- and please keep the ideas/thoughts coming if anyone is inclined! I bet other folks are getting some great ideas from the pics and posts. did I mention I love this forum? Yet another reason why : )

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

Remember the Fashion Code site that someone posted here not too long ago? They show a bunch of before and afters, including capris. The key seems to be how they are cut and where they hit you on your leg. I really like the narrow just above the ankle length pants - think Mary Tyler Moore on the Dick Van Dyke show.

On summer weekends I usually wear a cotton knit skirt and a tank top. I have two skirts from Target that I absolutely love. They are cotton knit with a wide waistband. I have a gray one and a black one. Actually, I have two of each, because I just purchased new ones in a smaller size (they run big)

Target skirt:

Here is a link that might be useful: Target skirt

• sweeby
    12 years ago

Why not bright jeans with a matching or near-matching top? I'm also 5'3" and that's a staple look for me.

For some reason, I've never had any luck with khaki. I think it's because most khaki stuff tends to be 'boy cut' or 'preppy cut' and I'm definitely a curvy girl... That, and it's not a color I can wear anywhere near the face, which means I'm getting chopped in half color-wise.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

I probably would not wear this shirt but I like the idea of a light weight button down that could tucked in on one side like this one (perfect for bloating hormonal days as a tummy camouflage). The short pants are nice though.
    Although I'm not much of a dress person I like this one. Again, it would be nice for bloating hormonal days when you feel like a great big cow and want to be cozy but still stylin.

I'll give everyone one guess on how I'm feeling at the moment.

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

Bumblebeez, sure! There's a difference though, between wearing what one knows is flattering and attractive, EVEN though it's not at the height of style, and throwing on "whatever you want," all the while knowing you look like something the cat dragged in.

Tina's thought about having individual, unique style, creating a trademark look based on what works for a woman, her body type, lifestyle, essence and personality, rather than around what's trendy, appeals to me.

Of course, it can be fun to follow trends too, as long as they really suit us.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

Thanks Stinky. I like to think I dress pretty current - it's pretty easy to look outdated on a college campus - so I try! LOL But there are certain things that are "my look". I'm known for accessories such as my necklaces. Also jackets and cardigans. I like to look current, even trendy, but at times I like more classic items. It's the accessories I put with pieces or even how I pair pieces that are "me", not a magazine image. I've always marched to the beat of a different drummer LOL!! I do not buy something that is not flattering to me, and I'm that way even with colors. You have to know what looks good on YOU.

As for the tennies, I'm sorry, but I stick to my original remark. The only time I wear them is for exercise or certain outdoor activities.

We're traveling this week and will be camping starting tomorrow or Thursday - so too bad you can't see how trendy I look then! HA!!

pa - Jerrilyn - you crack me up!

• francypants
    12 years ago

It's not that capris are out , it's just that the fashionista police have deemed them unflattering on all who walk the planet.

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

I know you pull yourself together beautifully, Tina, and indeed, march to your own drummer! Good for you! I SO agree with your "tennies" comment too!

Flyleft, I seriously doubt you look "dorky" in your capris! I bet you would look nice in a long, light-weight, flowy skirt (not denim) if you want a change of pace though. Btw, I'm 5 ft. 1.5" tall, so you're an amazon to me!

As others have noted, fit and cut count, no matter the look, and a flattering color next to the face is always in style, imo.

You're such a creative person, I hope you let that come through in your clothes and accessories!

Francypants, I hear you! Btw, what DO francy pants look like? ( Very chic, no doubt!)

• awm03
    12 years ago

"skorts make me feel like I'm on back on the field hockey team."

LOL!!!

Well, here ya go then:

And they're Ralph Lauren, too :)

• 3katz4me
    12 years ago

This is a very interesting thread. I'm not particularly fond of capris though I have a few and DH despises them so he'll be happy to hear they're falling out of fashion - if that is in fact the case. When it's hot, I prefer to wear longish shorts rather than capris. I have some linen pants for when I want to wear something more upscale. Linen is nice as long as you don't mind being wrinkled all the time.

I have a couple shorter skirts for summer but I'm not used to wearing skirts much so a lot of risk of inadvertently exposing my crotch. I've tried on a few skorts but so far nothing has fit right or looked good.

I was shopping for pants recently and you can hardly find a full length pair - practically everything is capri length.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

It gets very hot here in the summer--we can see 100+ degrees, so there is no way I am going to wear long pants unless I absolutely have to. I wear capris or bermuda shorts. I found a style I really like with this tab front and pockets, so I ordered several colors. They even come in Petite length.

I wish I could be like some women and wear long skirts but I feel extremely frumpy in those, LOL. I wore a business casual type of dress the other day for a student's presentation and I couldn't wait to get home to get out of it.

Luckily, I work in an environment that is very casual in the summer and everyone wears shorts or capris. Being in a Phys-Ed related department has its benefits.

For my WO's if I don't have my cycling shorts on, I wear WO yoga-style capris. They're starting to fall apart, so I need a few new pairs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bandolino Bermuda shorts

• francypants
    12 years ago

"Francypants, I hear you! Btw, what DO francy pants look like? ( Very chic, no doubt!)"

Actually, I always wear what pleases me at the moment. My summer wardrobe is an assortment of pants, dresses, skirts, shorts and, yes, capris.

• deegw
    12 years ago

Surely we can all agree that man-pris are always a fashion "don't". : )

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

Sounds good, Francy!

Good grief, Dee! Where did you dig that up? You've got to be kidding me! No, that doesn't even make sense. Eeeek!

• sweeby
    12 years ago

Man-pris - LOL!
    Only Matt Damon could carry those off...

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Teacats, I love my Keds! I have several styles, along with a pair of Reeboks for serious walking.

I don't wear socks with tennis shoes in the summer though.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

now, THAT look could only be worn by a young man- maybe 24 and younger i'd say!!

remember rafa nadal with his white 'capris' that he wore his 1st couple of years on the tour---he looked cute in them i thought, but pretty soon he 'out grew' them and started wearing man shorts!!

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

Given that this is the home deco forum, I will put it out there that LINES are more important than what's in style. I look at what Lucy on I Love Lucy wears, and I think so much of it is never out of style because it works for her figure.

Whether or not capris work for you is personal. I am not only short, but I have a long torso, so capris generallt cut me off visually. I look a million times better with long pants.

Whether or not you want a slim fit depends on your hips. If you have hips, you need something to balance them out, or you can look hip heavy. Ditto for having a tummy . . .you will look top-heavy in very slim capris. It also depends on the cuff . . .very tapered at the bottom is tricky unless you have long and slim legs, IMO. The right kind of shirt can help, of course!

Dee, believe it or not, the only kind of capris that look OK on me (just OK) are similar to those man-pris (at the top, not at the bottom). The reason is that I have hips so the straight lines of the capris do not accentuate them.

And, of course, the length of the capri matters, too. It can make or break them! Shoes and socks matter as well, as in NO SOCKS with capris. Sandals can look OK as long as they match the heaviness of the capri.

I have the same problem as you other petite ladies-- WHY are even petite pants so long? My mom is 5' 4" and petite pants are even too long for her. I thought 5' 4" is at the end of what is considered petite??

Once I stop nursing, I plan on spending my summers in dresses. Right now I still need to lose those last 10 pounds from having a baby, so I am still in my maternity pants!!!

One trick I've found re: choosing pants . . .look at the pants (the cut) on the hanger. In the general, that is how YOU are going to look in them. If you don't like the cut (as in, too curvy in the thighs) then don't bother trying them on. Most of the time, it won't work!

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    12 years ago

Anele, I agree that it is definitely the lines that make the most difference. Being tall and big boned, the rolled up jeans look would just accentuate my thick ankles. I want to try wearing more dresses in the summer as my house is not cooled but always worry about exposing way too much while I am wearing a skirt in the garden. Perhaps I should invest in some boyleg shorts for underneath?

I admittedly am in a fashion rut. There are so many other demands on the money that is hard to justify clothes just to get something more flattering. I also could not fathom intentionally wearing a shirt only half way tucked in. If I walked into a room like that hubby would laugh as he asked me if I could not make up my mind how I wanted to wear the shirt. If you had told me this would be my fashion attitude 15 years ago, I would not have believed you.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

good points, anele--thanks for spelling them out.

and terri, what a tease to link to something I can't order!

tishtosh, I agree w/you -- I'm in a rut too. I am honestly thinking of a personal shopper experience just to show me what's new and in the realm of possibility/not ridiculous for me to wear. I don't recognize this body I've got now--I've not taken it seriously as something with good features...

For my workouts I wear a speedo polyester swimsuit : ) (or yoga pants and a loose t-shirt for Pilates -- the sight of my abdomen in a tight shirt still shocks and dismays me)

p.s. Matt Damon could carry off ralph lauren skorts IMO : )

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

Sorry about the Target link. The skirts should be available in the store. That's where I got mine. They have carried this style for several years. And the price is great.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

Sorry about the Target link. The skirts should be available in the store. That's where I got mine. They have carried this style for several years. And the price is great.

• User
    12 years ago

I have two of those target skirts too -- they are so comfortable and cool in the summer.

• rosesstink
    12 years ago

I am so looking forward to the day that capris are "out". I don't like them and so get annoyed that the store racks are filled with them rather than pants. I only wear pants to work so a better selection would be great for me! Outside of work I wear jeans, pants, or shorts (in the summer). I stopped wearing dresses and skirts about a decade ago. Don't miss them a bit although I can envision them as an option to wear in a going out with friends situation.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, I'm going to Target tonight to see if I can find them. Maybe I'll wear it on next Wednesday! (are you packing one? : ))

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh sweeby -- I meant to say yes, a monocolor or tone-on-tone does look not so bad on me -- we sound like we have a similar situation. Brights just look *wrong* on me though...I do love the greyed-out colors that fill my drawers right now.

• emagineer
    12 years ago

Great link to capris and dresses. I started wearing capris, but was in shorts until my late 50s. Skorts too.
    All at once my knees fell and no one needs to see my legs now. So I went to capris, but like the ones with ties at the bottom or rolled. Am 5'3, they pass my knees just right. Also wear tops like the green one and love them.

Years ago I wore long summer dresses. Today's styles are wonderful, their designs create a slim look. I decided to buy a couple, so comfortable and breezy...

And I remember capris when in highschool, plus what we called in CA, clam diggers. Which were jeans that hit the back of your thigh. Always worn with no sock deck shoes. And jeans which were rolled up 2 or 3 times.

Sciencechick..am hitting that site to go shopping. What a huge amount of options.

• 3katz4me
    12 years ago

Last night when I was coming out of the grocery store I saw a woman coming in - perfect example of a BAD capris look - very, very BAD. I probably would not have even noticed but for having read this thread. I'll also probably never wear capris without thinking of this thread and considering whether I have a relatively good capris look or a very bad one.

DH refers to them as pedal pushers. I think they remind him of what his mother wore when he was a kid....guess he doesn't want his DW to have the same look as his DM.

• User
    12 years ago

I agree with Les. True capris aren't much shorter than pants.

Like jeans or anything else I feel there are certain styles that look better but it's really about how you're built and the lines.

People still wear them all the time here and I can't imagine them ever really being "out".

• dedtired
    12 years ago

I think Crops are only a little shorter than pants and Capris are more mid-calf. I've never thought Capris look so bad and I don't know what the alternative will be for those of us who are beyond the age when we can wear shorts or skorts in the summer.

We called them pedal-pushers when I was a kid, and I've heard them called clam-diggers, too!

• natal
    12 years ago

Ditto Dedtired.

I wear capris year round. I only own two pairs of regular length pants.

• francypants
    12 years ago

"remember rafa nadal with his white 'capris' that he wore his 1st couple of years on the tour---he looked cute in them i thought, but pretty soon he 'out grew' them and started wearing man shorts!!"

Speaking of Rafa...he looks good in black or white capris and I'm assuming those are tennis balls in his pocket. :)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I seem to remember reading that the market for capris won't ever go away, women love them too much, even though for years now they have been called out.
    Personally, I think they're a wonderful alternative to shorts while still being summery. I'm not crazy about the slim ones though, too hot. I do wear skinny jeans but only in the winter (w/boots) as they are too hot otherwise.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

re: rafa... i meant he looked cute AND sexy in his capris!

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, ladies...I went out and got a new pair of crop/long capri pants -- in khaki! Christopher Blue, a new line to me. So many of them didn't fit, but this pair did, so I thought of you all and went ahead and did it. Clearance at Nordstrom Rack : )

I tried Terri's skirt at Target but it really didn't do anything for me.

I think I need more structure, rather than less now...although if I won the lottery, I'd dress year round in Eileen Fisher and never think about anything else. I LOVE that line, partly because she gives some of her attention to petites and doesn't write us off. I saw some crops in Eileen Fisher (which I can't afford for everyday wear), so I figured what the heck go ahead and try other ones on.

I will definitely be aware and be more choosy than just getting any old capris/crops now, though. The Fibonacci site is a great reminder.

And stinky, you made my day. An Amazon, hm?: :)

• Abracadebra
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but now it's 2018 and I'm going to China in August when it will be blistering hot. I've already read dirty streets call for closed toe shoes and I definitely want to be comfortable over long days. So many were saying that capris are out, but here in 2018, they're still going strong. Even wide leg culottes, and of course, skinny capris (for the younger set). I'm going to pair them with Keds like Taylor Swift!

• ratherbesewing
    5 years ago

Taylor is wearing pants not capris.

• woodteam5
    5 years ago

Abracadebra, I just went cloths shopping and Macys, Target and Nordstrom all had really nice capris for sale. I'm with you, I love them. I have tons of legging capris and was planning on buying some new jean capris this year. Have fun on your trip