SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkponder2

Is this freeze damage or something else?

PKponder TX Z7B
6 years ago

Last summer I noticed that the leaves in the new growth area (what the heck is that part called? The crown?) were not unfurling and seemed to be stuck closed, almost fused together. I cut the tip off to release the new inner growth as seen on the right side. Now that it is opening somewhat normally I see that the inner part is dead and dried up. If this is freeze damage, it likely occurred during the 2016-2017 season when my neighbor's huge A. Americana was heavily freeze damaged. At any rate, it's time for me to rake the leaves that I keep in the cactus garden as winter protection and I'm taking this one out. It has many pups so I'll just choose a couple that are where I want them growing. However if this is freeze damage, I will need to give the pups away since it's too large and heavy to pot up and bring inside. This is what I believe to be A. Protoamericana. Anyone else seen damage like this?

On another note, I planted this Lonicera sempervirensfrom a 4 inch pot two springs ago and she is growing gangbusters. It's right outside my office window and I see hummers hitting it. I love this plant!

Comments (9)