SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

Need help with exterior stain for red cedar trim

Peke
6 years ago

Hi, all. I need advice about exterior stain for the rough, red cedar trim going on my house. I had heard that Sikkens Proluxe Srd was a good brand, then I found that PPG had changed it and many people complained about it.

I know rough red cedar will have a red tone, but when I used the Sikkeens Proluxe SRD in #078 Natural, it turned to yellow\orange.

I found the picture below on Houzz that used the exact same shade and brand of stain, but you know how it is with computer monitors; it looked different in real life. I only stained a small section of the wood. Plus, the cedar shakes in the picture might take the stain differently than my cedar boards. Maybe a larger swatch would change my opinion??? I also did not clean the NEW wood before staining it. The wood has been covered and under a carport for several months, so it is not a fresh cut of. cedar. It is possible that the cedar shakes in the picture will take stain differently than my cedar boards.

Moving On Up · More Info

My window trim and the gable vents will be the rough, red cedar. More cedar will be between the three windows on the front of the house which create an oversized, bay window. Here are other pictures of what I am wanting the trim to look like.

200 year old Pennsylvania Barn given a new life on the James River · More Info

Hasse Haus · More Info

I tried the following colors of Sikkens SRD translucent: Natural, Natural Oak, Cedar, Butternut, and clear. I believe if I use a semi-transparent stain I might be able to lessen the yellow/orange color. Is that theory correct?

I think the stain on the next two pictures are semi transparent, but I don't know which brand or color.

Downers Grove Residence · More Info

Peachtree Park · More Info

Can anyone tell me other brands that I might check out? I think some of the companies have sample stains I can purchase. I will call the companies to see which colors will lessen the yellow/orange, if any.

Is there something I should have done to the NEW rough, red cedar board before staining it? The SRD said only one coat so that is what I did.

My Lp Smart Siding is Summit Blue with Summit Khaki for the fascia and soffits. (the gutters are a khaki color)

Also, does the stained wood come out a different color depending on if the the stain was brushed on or sprayed on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My contractor needs me to choose a stain color. Thanks.

Comments (16)