SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
figureskater04

Tiny Powder Room Bathroom Conundrum

figureskater04
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi! My husband and I are renovating our first house before we move in. Our powder room seemed like it was going to be very long, and we aren't sure where the missing footage went, but it ended up being tiny to the point of useless, and we are hoping some Houzzers' creativity and expertise might be able to help us.

The powder room is 68 inches long by 37 inches wide. There is a pocket door entry. When you enter the space, there are 22 inches on your left where the toilet will be and 19 inches on your right where the sink piping is. In hindsight, I don't know how we didn't realize the inadequacy of this space sooner. Attribute it to our inexperience and being overwhelmed by this process.

The sink problem:

The sink piping can be seen in the photo attached. The "used water/drainage" pipe (sorry I don't know the technical name) is jutting out of the wall adjacent to the supply pipes, which isn't ideal. We've run through several ideas for a sink/vanity, including:

- A 27" long by 17" deep vanity (which we nixed because of the drainage pipe, which would be visible jutting out the left side of the vanity)

- A 37" long by 17" deep vanity (which we nixed because we don't want to cut into our door trim on the right side of the vanity

- A 24.25" long by 19" deep Cierra console sink from Signature Hardware (which doesn't seem like it will look right because of that drainage pipe in the adjacent wall)

- We do not want a skinny sink (I've seen some from Ikea) because of splashing (this powder room will be used frequently by our messy son and his friends)

The toilet problem:

- We were planning on a Toto Vespin (28.5" long) or Toto Drake (28.25" long), but both will jut into the doorway and put the end of the toilet less than two feet from the vanity.

- Our walls are 4" thick, and we aren't sure about the durability of a wall-hanging toilet (Toto has a hanging Aquia, which is much more than we wanted to spend on a toilet, but would be less expensive than moving the wall to expand the bathroom).

- We could also wait on the powder room and at some future point move the powder room wall out to orient the toilet facing the door (but off to the left and not visible if that makes sense)

So, if there are any miracle workers out there with suggestions for making this space work, or if you think waiting and moving the wall would be better, we'd appreciate your help. Thank you!

The sink (right) side of bathroom

The toilet (left) side of bathroom

Bathroom is door to the left.

Comments (5)