SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davebdave

hot air sous vide revisited

davebdave
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi All, has anyone seriously revisited hot air sous vide? I saw one discussion here but it got derailed. I've made both a water and a hot air version, and getting the timing right for air has been interesting (every recipe is water based). I mean getting the food internals up to temp takes longer w/air, but once it is there, the systems are virtually identical.

The results w/the water one were perfect on the first try, but I'm still seeing what the air version can do, as it is more convenient (sans extra cooking time and lack of research on it). I even tried using the air one as a dehydrator (breakfast sausage @145 overnight) and it worked well, and any moisture proof conformal wrap will do for the "vide" part.

anyway here are some pics, the water one works perfectly fine with a bang-bang controller (lots of mass) but I had to make a pid controller to get the air version to behave.

Any thoughts on how to accommodate the timing differences?

more build details:

for water I just use an old plastic cooler, an $8 1000 watt immersion heater, a couple small $5 fish pumps, and an inkbird ITC-1000f that I got for $12. And even with the bang-bang control, it works really well. All that mass makes for a very stable temperature, no pid required (unless your heater is REALLY overpowered).

for hot air I wound up with a styrofoam cooler, a trimmed down space heater (mods: was 2x750watts, put them in series for 375 watts, shaded pole and metal fan ftw, and reworked the motor/fan setup to get it as quiet as possible and reversed the motor and spun the fan around so it blows hot air at the wall for circulation), and a thermistor out of a $1 thrift store thermometer, and a microcontroller with PID, and a 20A ssr (doesn't even get warm), duty cycle is the control variable with a period of 1 second.

Comments (4)