SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Hot Air Sous Vide?

To me, cooking is not so much about recipes and seasonings. The most important factor (skill) in cooking is about temperature control.

If you can measure, you can duplicate the exact taste.

If you can't apply temperature correctly, there is not one recipes that tastes good.

A steak tastes wonderful with just salt and pepper. An overcooked steak is a total waste regardless of recipe.

Sous Vide is basically cooking by precision temperature controlled circulating hot water, with guaranteed end results regardless of your skill set.

This experiment is to try sous vide using circulating hot air.

A typical convection oven fan does not circulate hot air that much. So I put an electric fan inside my convection oven to really move the air.

The chicken was first washed with boiling seasoned water inside and outside, kind of like making Peking duck, After the chicken.was seasoned, I set the oven temperature to 185F with the fan on. Once the internal temperature reached 150F, the heat was lowered to 170F.

About 5 hours later, the chicken was removed from the oven and into the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.

The electric fan was removed and the oven was preheated to 450F. The chicken was roasted for about 25 minutes. Because the chicken had been forced air cooked, the skin was completely dried out and the high temperature roasting made the skin very crispy.

dcarch

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County