SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

TGFIO, Vacuum Sealer, Sous Vide, Griddle, Etc.

TGFIO (Thank God Friday Is Over!) So much to talk about.

I had some unexpected guests yesterday. Started out with just one couple to get together, then, "Have you seen Mary and Larry recently? Let's give them a call."

I ended up with a total of eight including myself for dinner.

Totally unprepared, I had not much in the refrigerator just some frozen beef tenderloin. My friends did promise to do some shopping before they come.

I ended up making quails and squabs, razor clams, and beef tenderloin steak.

Also three different kinds of vegetables and bread.

It got late and everyone was hungry, so we ate as I cooked, there was no chance to take pictures, but everything went very well.

Today, I had leftovers from yesterday. See picture.

So let's talk about a few things that were topics on a few recent threads:

Vacuum sealer:

I just use regular veggie bags or Zip lock type bags and a hand vac to remove air. The beef tenderloin you see in the picture was at least 8 months in the freezer, no sign of freezer burn.

However, if you have a vacuum sealer, I really think you should also start looking into the sous vide cooking method.

Why sous vide?

Meat is very expensive. How do you enjoy the most of a $100's worth of prime ribs? There is no practical way to make a perfect prime rib, steak, chicken or lamb using any normal cooking method. You only end up with pretty good results if you are skillful enough.

But if you use sous vide cooking, you are guaranteed a perfect end result, rare, medium rare, or medium, the entire piece of meat, not just part of it. You will notice from the picture, the tenderloin was cooked medium rare, almost 100%. You cannot make a mistake, and you cannot overcook the meat.

You normally cook clams at 212 degrees. Have you had clams cooked at 142 degrees? The sous vide cooked razor clams were super fantastic.

Have you notice that you cannot duplicate meats cooked in good restaurants ? That's because they mostly use the sous vide method.

Anyone here has cooked sous vide?

In last night's dinner, two guests wanted the steak medium well. So I had my reversible cast iron griddle on a portable camping propane stove on the dinner table, they made the steak medium well themselves, and they had fun doing it on the dinner table. I also use the stove for fondue. I like stove with flame better than electric or induction. It is my superstition that, after a million years of adaptation to cooking with flame, there is some instinctual psychological satisfaction with using fire. Have you notice that fireplaces are mostly not used for warmth?

I have two cast iron reversible griddles, one single burner and the other double burner. After I use them I always just take them to the sink and run cold water over them, even while they are red hot. I have not had them cracked yet. Just lucky I guess?

dcarch
Leftover Dinner

Comments (36)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida