SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
downtowner_gw

Why Advantium is not for gourmet Modernist Cuisine

downtowner
9 years ago

I've had a 220V Advantium for about 10 years. It's had to be repaired maybe half a dozen times, just this week it cost $550 to get a fuse replaced. But that's not why I'm going to toss it.
I'll put up with a lot to get what I want.

I basically use it only as a microwave (not a bad one), so I've decided to get a better microwave with convection.

On rap against the Advantium is that it's a different system of cooking, and, if you're not going to use the 175 defined programs, you have to learn a new system of cooking by trial and error. It does not speed things up if you have to look up a similar recipe and then calculate how to modify it whenever you make something new. It slows you down.

Another rap is that it is basically designed for 1950's style home cooking, casserole, for instance and frozen food. Some people say they have had great success with chickens. We never have and haven't seriously tried.

But I've come to question the whole premise of the Advantium. I've gotten into Modernist Cuisine in a modest way, but I have 2 sous vides and a vacuum chamber sealer and some other gadgets. After I decided to junk the Advantium, I realized that in the six volume Modernist Cuisine encyclopedia, the Advantium is not even mentioned. To me that is a canary in the coal mine. Modernists must think is not useful for making gourmet food.

But the pressure cooker is and is highly recommended for fast cooking. The microwave is considered worthy of respect. And many gadgets you and I have not heard of.

So, this started me thinking. What is the unique selling point of the Advantium. Why is it different from the Sharp convection microwave we had years ago? And from the many excellent combination ovens with microwaves today? Is there anything brilliant that its heating elements do to food? No. It's unique feature is that it cooks with both dry heat and microwave radiation at the same time, in a completely unintuitive control system, and thus saves time.

Does it save time, while maintaining quality. Obviously not for small items. If I want to speed cook a sausage or hot dog. I can mike it then crisp it with a blowtorch or hot iron pan. That would give much better results, with better control and more intuitive understanding.

So it saves time on items of a certain size, where the loss of quality of results is acceptable and the time cost of the clumsy interface is acceptable as well. No one would mistake a baked potato for the real thing. It's a microwave potato with a little bit of uneven crisping of the skin. It's really for Betty Crocker style recipes and good, but not impressive results for some things.

Whether the benefit of a quirky oven that combines dry air heat and microwaves simultaneously gives you any benefit over an excellent microwave/convection unit is questionable.

Whether you will get any benefit from cooking in the Advantium way and then finishing with a different cooking device is also questionable. You will certainly have less control.

What did make a serious difference in our life was buying a really good Gaggenau double oven. The sous vide changes the way we cook a lot of things. Years later, I keep finding new ways to use this wonderful and precise machine. It is a terrific warming oven, for instance, because it has good temp control at low temperatures. It is also self-cleaning.

I wish I had a Gaggenau combi steam oven, but with two sous vide appliances and pots for steaming and excellent convection broilers, I'm not sure I really need it.

I will replace the Advantium with a convection microwave, after I've done more research.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths