SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Hiding "hot" appliances in cabinetry

palimpsest
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

For anyone who is interested, and I know the rationale is controversial.

A company named "Yestertec" builds kitchens into cabinetry and has complete "stealth" kitchen set ups.

I know that people have asked about hiding ovens behind doors,(and then posted pictures of such) and in the kitchen forum this discussion has become heated (no pun intended) with one side saying "It's stupid, it's a kitchen, it's supposed to have appliances" and "Anybody who has done this has done this in violation of all sorts of codes and there is no way they had permits" --and the other side saying "There must be some way you can do this properly"

Yestertec has developed a UL listed system where an oven can be placed behind pocket doors, and there is a cut off switch so that the power is "off" if the doors are closed, andyou cannot close the doors for 30 minutes once the oven has been turned on. It was tested by Underwriter's Laboratory and they have worked with a number of oven manufacturers in this process.

It's possible it still may not be allowable in some areas.

And I know the rationale of wanting to hide an appliance in a kitchen is controversial.

The only reason I am considering it is that I have a reconditoned gas Chambers oven going in my future kitchen and it's a different size, and it's copper, and this will be the daily use oven, while the larger oven will be used occasionally for production baking. If it does not work out, I will have non-matching stacked ovens, one vintage one not, and that's okay. but I like the idea of being able to hide the modern appliance that will only get occasional use.

Comments (12)