SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texasnewbie

kitchen re-do in old house

Betsy Kocsis
6 years ago

Hello. My son just bought a small house built around 1900. It appears to have a good bit of the original woodwork in it, and at least some walls are plaster. Much of the very thick oak woodwork is in amazingly good condition, despite the home's age and the fact that it was a rental in recent years. My son has removed the appliances and cabinets, and seems open to moving the gas line for the stove and possibly the plumbing. So far he's bought a 36" French door refrigerator (it's 72" tall, he tells me, if that matters). The stove will be about 30", and he wants a dishwasher. He says the microwave will go over the stove. He wants as much counter space as possible in the right places. Other than that, they don't seem to have any big wants or needs. He cooks more than his fiancee, who just wants a "basic kitchen" and doesn't understand what all fuss is about. They have two kids (5 & 1.5) and one on the way.

I sure hope this is legible. We appreciate any help you can offer.

The window over what was the sink cabinet doesn't have a view, other than the siding on the house next door, just a few feet away. While I was drawing this up, I wondered about swapping the kitchen space with the dining room, which is right next to it and has a lot more space uninterrupted by doors and windows. But I didn't think to get the measurements of that room, and I'm not sure how that would go over with the fiancee.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (21)