SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mononhemeter

Switch from white to stainless steel appliances in small rental?

mononhemeter
6 years ago

Hello all! I am curious to know others' opinions of the appliances in our rental kitchen. My husband and I are almost finished renovating most of an 850 square foot, 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom ranch built in the 50s. The house is in a desirable neighborhood in a walkable area of our city, and I hope that we may live there someday when we are old and have no need for kids' bedrooms or desire for stairs. I wish I had found this community at the beginning -- I have made numerous mistakes along the way, ending way over budget and taking four times (and counting) longer than I had planned. That said, it has been a fun process and I am happy enough with how the house is turning out.

We changed the floor plan of the kitchen, adding a white dishwasher to match the existing refrigerator and stove, which we had planned to keep, not only to save money but also because I felt that stainless steel appliances might look too modern for the house and might be too busy in such a tiny kitchen (about 9 or 10 ft x 8 ft), and because vintage reproductions were out of our budget. The other finishes in the kitchen and throughout the house are brushed nickel everywhere except the light fixtures, curtain rod brackets, and exterior door hardware, which are all brass or antique brass. The cabinet pulls are glass and the sink is porcelain.

Unfortunately the stove now needs to be replaced. A fellow landlord suggested that I switch to stainless steel because tenants prefer them. Now that I have installed so many other finishes, though, I worry that it will look desultory. What do you think -- replace the stove with stainless steel, or with white? And while you're at it, if you have any criticism of the kitchen or house so far, I am very open to incorporating suggestions into our future plans for the house!

The first three photos below show the kitchen from the dining room. The door from the kitchen (a pocket door which can be closed) leads into a laundry and utility area. The last two photos are taken from the utility area looking toward the dining room. Unfortunately we don't have the budget to move the window and add cabinetry on the refrigerator/stove side of the kitchen; that is a project for a future year (along with remodeling the bathroom we didn't get to on this round, replacing the siding, landscaping, back deck...). We are planning to put a table in the empty space in the meantime.

A few photos of the rest of the house for cohesiveness:

Thank you!

Comments (29)