SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

Decorating is easier when you commit!

anele_gw
6 years ago

Does anyone else agree with this statement?

I hear it again and again...

”I don’t want to commit.”

But, often the best designs are the ones where the decorator has committed to the look. Not necessarily a color palette or furniture style (the latter can easily creep into “big box look”) but the LOOK. It can look evolved and collected... but there is still a thread of continuity.

I’ve been guilty of this, too.

The first kilim I ever bought, years ago... most expensive household purchase ever for me... I wanted it multicolored so it would go with everything. (And 20 years later, it still works in my house because the essence of my taste has stayed the same.)

Later, I wanted a DR that would look good for all the holidays, all year. But I fell in love with a vintage pink and green rug. Not the overdyed kind, but the real deal.

So now Halloween is more about embracing black and not orange. I found a fall tablecloth that has pink and green. And Christmas, I just use red and green plaid and call it a day. Just small examples, but you can work around what you have, but first, love what you have!

I don’t have a lot of money to mess with, at all. And for this reason, I find it so much easier to pick something and stick with it. I just make sure I LOVE it.

Is it that people don’t know themselves?

Do people want to keep their options open to follow the next trend?

Do people get bored easily? (And if this is the case, I still think there needs to be a plan in place for how things might change... what options truly offer flexibility.)

Thoughts?

Comments (23)