SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phoggie

Hey basketball fans...

phoggie
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

March Madness is here!... who is your favorite team? I love my Kansas Jayhawks!...but we also know the agony of defeat :-(

Comments (107)

• phoggie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well Duke we beat you once this year and I hope we can again! See ya Sunday ! Syracuse just could not pull it off. I am glad to see Texas Tech overtake Purdue. That makes the Big 12 have 3 teams in the Elite 8!

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

I don't think Duke played Kansas this season.

• Related Discussions

Hey birdhouse fans!

Q

Comments (3)
    Well - stoopid me posted at the bird watching site ! I wasn't paying attention to the forum !!! Anyway - that's sure a piece of art .... I'm amazed !
    ...See More

Hey daylily fans!

Q

Comments (9)
    Alison, There are closer places to Columbus than Oxford and Dan Bachman's. I've not been to the one at Oxford, but Dan's a friend. There is Yost's in Pataskala, as well as Lynd's at 310 and Morse. Fitzpatrick's in Lithopolis, just SE of Columbus is another great place. check out www.daylilytrader.com for a list of Ohio daylily growers. Lynd's isn't on there (he's not an AHS member either) but you can't miss him if you go to 310 and Morse near Pataskala. He may have a web page if you search for Mitch Lynd and Daylily. Yosts and Fitzpatricks are my favorites in Central Ohio...along with Warrell's, but Warrell's is closed already for the year. You can email Yosts and Fitzpatrick's from the daylilytrader site. You can also go to the AHS site, www.daylilies.org and click on "AHS display Gardens" then on the next page, click on Region 2 (you may have to scroll down to get to this).... up comes a list of daylily gardens whose job it is to have visitors and teach about daylilies..... Fitzpatrick's and Yosts are on there, as well as a lot more - Bachman's, others around Dayton.... Most display gardens also sell their excess divisions. Check it out! Jules
    ...See More

Hey...all you CC fans, myself included, did you see this...

Q

Comments (21)
    All, I was just pointing out a modicum of truth to the cartoon--which made it funny to myself and a friend. The same friend directed me to this forum about a year ago by saying, "you have to check out this website. These people are fanatical about ranges." He went on, "especially the âÂÂbattleâ between the Blue Star and the Capital Culinarian." So I've been reading for quite some time. My interest is from the standpoint of the release of a new cooking product and how the initial rollout is received by the business, or on the residential side in this case, the people. As I've stated, I don't own one so only could make comments derived from the following posts (which I did not write) which are titled: "culinarian oven racks are disappointing" and âÂÂwok use on the culinarian wok grate observationâ Does anyone know if the rolling racks are the same in a self-clean oven and a manual clean oven? Is the issue with the racks caused by a self-clean cycle? Best, Lew
    ...See More

Hey LSU fans, we've arrived!

Q

Comments (6)
    News last night showed them leaving the plane, all dressed up with the coach, in Louisiana! Nice looking group! Of course, they are TIDE clean!
    ...See More
  • mushcreek
    6 years ago

Clemson fan here. At least they made a game of it towards the end. Considering that they weren't expected to have much of a team this year, and lost their star player, I'm proud of their efforts.

phoggie thanked mushcreek
  • deeebert
    6 years ago

Although Purdue is out our family is always proud of our Boilermakers!!

phoggie thanked deeebert
  • Michael
    6 years ago

Michigan is the powerhouse to watch.

phoggie thanked Michael
  • phoggie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I was mistaken....It was Syracuse we beat, not Duke...but hope that will happen Sunday!....it won't be easy. Our Hawks have done well for a team that was not thought to go far this year.

Bushworks, Michigan is great also....anyone could win this crazy tournament...it is madness for sure!

• ladypat1
    6 years ago

I can't remember such a crazy bracket buster in years! And I can't believe that both Kansas and Kansas State are still in the running. I fear Duke may do in KU, we shall see. Watched KU/ CLemson last nite with cousin, an ex cheerleader She could not sit still, arms everywhere and I was sitting on my hands holding my breath. I need to remember to breathe! Rock Chalk!

phoggie thanked ladypat1
  • phoggie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, ladypat1, Sunday is going to be a hard game...Duke is always tough. But if Graham has his hot hand and the rest play to their potential, we will be okay. Last night, I was doing great as long as we had a 15-20 point lead over Clemson but when we got so many fouls that we couldn’t play so aggressively because we do not have very deep bench and the lead kept sliding, I got so nervous that I had to take a break and watch the other game for awhile. RCJH!

The fact that there are 3 teams going to the Elite 8 from the Big 12 says that our conference is not to be overlooked!

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

phoggie, Kansas has been in the Big 12 conference since 1994. It was Sports Illustrated's pick for #1 this season in its pre-season rankings, so there's no Cinderella story for its performance this year.

And, my looking around pointed out something I hadn't previously been aware of - there are 10 schools in the Big 12 conference.

Good luck to them all the same, to a point, because I'll be rooting for Duke.

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

"The fact that there are 3 teams going to the Elite 8 from the Big 12"

If I misread what you originally said I'm sorry. My recollection is that your comment had said "Big 8" for the conference Kansas is in. Am I mistaken or did you change it?

• Michael
    6 years ago

Loyola is on a mission.

phoggie thanked Michael
  • Jennifer_in_KS
    6 years ago

Loyola was on fire. Couldn't miss a shot if they tried. They had to be shooting 60%+

Sad to see a hometown team go down but Loyola really deserved to win that one

phoggie thanked Jennifer_in_KS
  • phoggie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, they were, Jennifer....KSU does not need to hang their heads. They played well, especially with their best player sitting on the bench with an injury. He tried to play a few minutes in the last game, but just had too much pain and Coach Webber said he did not want to do further damage...but I bet every fiber of his being wanted to be out on that court. (I just love Sister Jean!...amazing lady, especially at her age.)

Brushworks, I am watching Michigan right now and they do not seem to be making the shots like they did against Texas A&M. They shot the lights out in that game! (Love their pink shoes!)

• phoggie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Whew, not easy, but Michigan is marching on to the Final Four!

• Michael
    6 years ago

I don't foresee any upsets today. Kansas and Villanova should advance.

phoggie thanked Michael
  • mushcreek
    6 years ago

No comments about the women's tournament? Local fave South Carolina goes up against my mother's favorite, UConn. I guess I should pull for UConn, as my sister graduated from there.

• phoggie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Brushworks, thanks for your vote of confidence...hope you are correct!

Mushcreek, thanks for posting. I will try to catch a UConn game...I have heard they are fantastic. But feel free to tell us more about women’s basketball...I don’t follow them because I don’t think anyone from my area is playing in it...or if they are, I am not aware of them.

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

phoggie, I'm sorry but it appears you weren't very honest in disclosing (or admitting) you made a change that made your post correct and made my comment look stupid. The original mistake that seems to have been made was a small matter but how you apparently made the change wasn't very polite. I asked you about it above, you didn't reply and I take that as the answer. Am I wrong, or is this another post you'll ignore?

• mushcreek
    6 years ago

We get a lot of women's basketball coverage here because USC (South Carolina) won it all last year, and are ranked #2 this year after #1 UConn.

• Michael
    6 years ago

Kansas! Thank you!

phoggie thanked Michael
  • phoggie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, Bushworks for having faith in our Kansas University Jayhawks

Ladypat1, Jennifer and Jewels....What a game! It is a good day for our team and Coach Self. For those who know our story, you know we have had so many challenges this year and only by true grit that we have made it to the Final Four. I only wish #4 Graham could find his hot hand again...he has not been on his game since his concussion in the Seton Hall game. He hardly ever missed a free throw and was a sure shot on most of his 3s. Big Boy Dok is still not 100% from his leg injury...but I cannot say enough good about Newman stepping up and bringing it home in the overtime! But we still have game(s) to play!

Congrats also to the Villanova fans...you have a great team. Same to Loyola and Michigan....see ya in San Antonio on Saturday!

• phoggie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lady pat, I could not open your link :-(. How’s your blood pressure? lol

• jewels_ks
    6 years ago

Phoggie, What a game that was! I was doing some work and watching the game, but the work had to go! This has been a great tournament this year!

phoggie thanked jewels_ks
  • diane_nj 6b/7a
    6 years ago

Go Blue and 'Nova Nation!!!

phoggie thanked diane_nj 6b/7a
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

Yeah mushcreek -- the big face off between USC and UConn is tonight! Go Huskies!!

phoggie thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • phoggie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, Annie...I want to be sure to find this game...I love a good game of basketball...and this sounds sounds like it is promising to be just that!

• Michael
    6 years ago

Women's Final Four will be here in Columbus and the local news media didn't mention it until this morning. Not much of a women's basketball fan. Maybe I'll watch a period or two on March 30.

phoggie thanked Michael
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

DH and I actually prefer the women's game as it's much more of a challenge and requires a lot of skill. When I watch the men play, it seems like they can cross the entire court in about 5 steps and then just shove the ball in the hoop as they're all so big and tall. Since the women can't dunk and aren't 7' tall, it's a lot more difficult.

• phoggie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I just heard on TV that a bobble head doll for 98 year old Sister Jean , Chaplin for Loyola, has sold 5,000 of the dolls in just 48 hours..at $25.00. She has become quite a star...and she seems so sweet and the team loves her. It is heart-warming to watch all of the players giving her their hugs.

Although, I don’t think she has a bobble head, Kansas has a lady from KCK who at 102 is probably the oldest and maybe the biggest fan.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    6 years ago

UConn women just blew out SC to move into the Final Four of the women's tournament.

phoggie thanked diane_nj 6b/7a
  • phoggie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Congratulations to the UConn women! I did watch part of the game, but UConn had such a lead that it was not too interesting. Oregon and Norte Dame women have a good game going right now.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

When you watch UConn women, you get used to not having close scores, but enjoying the quality of their play. Esp now that they are part of the American Conference, their competition is pretty soft. The players often say that practice is a lot harder than the games.

• Curlysue
    6 years ago

University of Louisville Lady Cards are in the final four this season. I hope they can make it past Mississippi and then through UConn. University of Louisville is my team in all sports. The mens basketball team is in the middle of a huge mess right now but at least we still have the Lady Cards.

phoggie thanked Curlysue
  • phoggie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Good Luck to the Women’s teams on Friday night.... Louisville Vs. Mississippi State... Norte Dame vs. Connecticut. Some good records playing in these games.

• phoggie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Women's NCAA Final Four Friday night...Congratulations to Mississippi State's win over Louisville! A tight game right now between Norte Dame and UConn...6'6" Stevens was taking a rest...but she is coming back on the court so they will probably be pulling ahead very shortly....UConn is very good!..but anything can happen in a game!...and it did! In OT. It is Norte Dame who is marching along vs. Miss St! What a game!

• Michael
    6 years ago

I missed it all. It's spring break here and the grandchildren owned the venue.

A last second shot is all it takes to end a winning streak. That's how good teams beat great teams.

phoggie thanked Michael
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

OMG! Our UConn ladies lost! To Notre Dame! A rivalry that's gone back years. I'm really shocked as this team has been soooo good. Next year, I don't think they'll have a shot as the gals coming up the line aren't anywhere near as good as the 2 seniors they'll be losing.

The final is sure to be a good one...congrats to Notre Dame and MS for moving on!

• phoggie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sorry Annie! It is always so hard to lose so close to the end when you have such an outstanding team. :-(

• phoggie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Dok (KU's big guy) has won my heart, not only for his basketball playing but for his life story. He is from Nigeria and there were 5 children and when Dok was 7 years old, his father died and his mother couldn't provide...even sold their furniture for food and their government was in an uproar. So his mother sent Dok at 12 years old to America in hopes that he would have a better life. Since he was so tall for his age, his host family started him in basketball... He is only 18 now and chose to come to play for KU.

The NCAA gives parents $3000 toward expensed for parents to come to Final Four games...so after pulling a lot of political strings, Dok's mother made it to San Antonio today! Oh what excitement it will be for them because they have not seen each other for 6 years and she has never seen him play basketball! I hope he has an awesome game for her to watch!

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 years ago

Well holy cow! Lookit all the Jayhawkers on here!

My sister-in-law is a born and raised Kansan and is an intense Jayhawk fan. Even though she now lives in the Oklahoma panhandle, I believe she attends most of the Jayhawks' home games.

Most of us here in north central Missouri are not too fond of them; there are several Jayhawk fans in our small town and they catch a lot of cr@p from the rest of us.

Here's hoping for a good game!

• phoggie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Littlebug, if your are in central MO , you probably support that yellow and black team. :-). Did your SIL go to SA?

• Michael
    6 years ago

Villanova=3 pointer destruction of Kansas. What a show.

phoggie thanked Michael
  • phoggie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well, sadly our Jayhawks have reached the end of their March. Villinova shot the lights out of their 3s tonight...so congratulations to their fine team. Sister Jean and her Loyola team met their match also by Michigan....so Villanova and Michigan teams march on to Monday. The finals for the women’s tournament Mississippi State will be playing Norte Dame Sunday...may the best teams win...it has been a great tournament of upsets and surprises for sure!

• Michael
    6 years ago

Women's championship today in Columbus. Food and drink specials everywhere in the Metro area.

phoggie thanked Michael
  • dedtired
    6 years ago

Yay Villanova!! My son's alma mater. Woo hoo. Great game. How about also those three-pointers?

phoggie thanked dedtired
  • phoggie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Congratulations, dedtired! Those three-pointers killed us. I am anxious to see if they can make them in their Final game.

• phoggie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh my gosh!...Norte Dame just pulled off the Championship for the Women’s NCAA game! A three point shot with 3 seconds on the clock and it was all net. Congratulations ND and regrets to Mississippi State.

• Michael
    6 years ago

Tis the season of the 3 pointers and last second winners.

phoggie thanked Michael
  • phoggie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Congratulations to Villanova, coach, and fans!...you are the NCAA men's champs! Golly, Spellman was a powerhouse! Michigan gave it a good try but ended up on the short end...you had a good year. I am always sorry for the players who lose, but that is the name of the game.

The games are over for the season...I hate to see it end.

• maire_cate
    6 years ago

What a great final. I'm so happy for Villanova. Jay Wright and his associates have done a noteworthy job of recruiting and coaching a talented group. I found it rather refreshing that all the players seemed like well spoken young men. Even my DH commented that he rarely heard an 'awesome' or 'surreal' in their comments after the game.

phoggie thanked maire_cate