SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
13cher

Help with adding character to Rec Room!

Cher
6 years ago
We've just finished drywalling the ceiling and added lighting in most areas. The walls are painted BM Revere Pewter & ceiling is BM White Dove. I have a drop down light that will go over a future pool table. A sconce light that will go over a coffee station. The lights are a galvanized metal finish. We are going to put down vinyl plank flooring next(lifeproof-Thunder Basin). We will be boxing in the poles above the bar counter, but not sure of what stain color will look good? Once we pick the stain color it will be used on baseboards, trim around windows and wrapping beams at the kitchenette and tv room opening. Any idea on window treatments? How would you design the kitchenette...open shelving above lower cupboards? Would a rustic barn board walk look good on the far wall that the loveseat is against? I'm trying to achieve a modern farmhouse look...without overdoing it though! Any suggestions appreciated!!!

Comments (586)

• Cher
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    ritasj-here are some of my scetches that I did a while ago. Ignore the measurements because we'll have to remeasure everything. I love where you suggested to put the garbage so that it doesn't take valuable cupboard space. I can put in a bank of drawers in the space where I have the garbage in my rough drawings:) If you have anymore suggestions...throw them my way...thank you!
  • Cher
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yoan- I think you added your comment on the wrong thread.
  • Related Discussions

curb appeal - help me pick paint colors! add character & charm

Q

Comments (32)
    I am probably too late, but I would think about a soft olive green, rather than a sage. I think the warmer tones of the olive would be nice in the shady space, and with a red door and warm white trim, along with the roof color, would be a wonderful combo! Have you considered adding simple trellises on either side of the lone window on the left? I would be nice with the cottage feel of the home, and would give some visual weight to balance the three windows on the other side. Paint the ceiling of the porch in a light blue, and change out the railings to wood ones. A charming cottage! Your current home is wonderful, and I can understand you hating to leave. But down the line, especially since remodeling is your passion, you will have something even more amazing, I am sure. For now, the cottage may feel small, but will also give you a sense of coziness and security that could be an island of peace in the storm.
    ...See More

newly built home/living room lacking character

Q

Comments (63)
    I don't think anyone has mentioned this but we would like to get a corner chair, possibly with ottoman, near where the Christmas tree is. We would like more seating and to fill the space. Would this look okay and thoughts on color? Room and board has a couple lighter leather chairs we like! Thanks!
    ...See More

Plain dining room, no character

Q

Comments (42)
    I can see what you are unhappy with.....the elements are wonderful and reflect who you are....they just need a prettier background to bring them to life......by this I mean a drop dead wall color....without knowing your favorite colors it is hard to be specific....perhaps just the right shade of lavender or even aqua....a very interesting shade of yellow green?...I also like the wallpaper suggestions with the one caveat that they are more expected..sedate....an unexpected color would be more modern and crisp.....while not competing with your timeless furnishings and art
    ...See More

Zero Character Colonial Exterior Help

Q

Comments (19)
    Stop beating your head against the wall trying to turn your classic colonial home into a historical home. It's not going to happen without more money than it makes sense to invest. Are you planning to remove the vinyl siding and change it to wood so you can get peeling paint and see how old it can look? Enjoy your perfectly nice new home and put your time and effort into finding some great antiques to use inside. Plant some trees so you get the setting of an older home.
    ...See More
  • User
    5 years ago
    Cher, no matter how you layout your kitchen/Bar you would have to place fillers on the sides and top where you have the wood beam/post on the openings
  • btydrvn
    5 years ago
    I like your plan....I might move the wine away from the microwave...might be good to line things up a little...love the drawer idea....in my mind the best storage option of all!....all of the sizes have to be set to the actual dimensions...of course...and I may leave the center open til down the line when you fill the storage areas and decide what things you want to display and how cluttered the rest will look when filled...can pick up little shelf units, display pieces in style you choose...
  • btydrvn
    5 years ago
    If you don’t have easy reach to top shelf you can make cubby to right of microwave (floor to counter height) to put a handy foot stool..........or drop the top shelf ......to top of fridge height ?
  • btydrvn
    5 years ago
    As per Claire’s comments ...all cubbies to the right of the microwave may be better than drawers .....as they may bump into the column when opening.......good catch ...Claire...
  • User
    5 years ago
    Thanks Ritasj
  • Cher
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Great ideas! I think I would bring the cupboard down to the top of the fridge to house extra liquor bottles etc. Would you store baskets in the upper cubbies or decorative pieces? I'm thinking white cabinets to keep it brighter in that opening...thoughts?
  • happyleg
    5 years ago

White baskets.

• Cher
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ritasj- reread your comment and realized you meant drop all the top cubbies down in line with the top of the fridge;) To clarify...you mean open cubbies above too?
  • Cher
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks Claire for reminding me of the sides & that anything with doors would likely hit the openings:) Are you able to render open cubbies in your drawings?
  • Cher
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I guess I would definitely need to know what color of baskets I'd go with so that I can see what sizes I can find in order to plan the cubby dimensions.
  • User
    5 years ago
    Open cubbies in the center
  • btydrvn
    5 years ago
    I would say white cabs...white cubbies......and using natural material baskets so that they don’t all have to match ....adding a little spice and variety to the white background....as to the size of the cubbies I would try for vertical cubby (width)to match horizontal cubby (height)....to look balanced and symmetric....in the cubbies you can use a mix a variety of baskets and decor items ....depending on the size of the baskets you like...rather than being too driven by sizes that fit perfectly..which may make your search too difficult and restrictive ...I like baskets with handles like shopping bags ...little trash can shape baskets ...no need to be too conventional or matchy-matchy.....another option could be colorful plastic bins or metal ones....if you like a more regimented look....
  • User
    5 years ago
    Here’s one with open cabinets
  • btydrvn
    5 years ago
    Don’t know if you want to do this...but a thin wall from floor to ceiling next to the refrigerator on the right would give this a much more finished (built-in) look...the side of the fridge will not be exposed and the wall will give you something to attach the counter and cubbies to...with the added plus of diminishing the “converted closet” feel....
  • Cher
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Gosh...it's been a while again since I've been in here! We haven't made much progress...we just haven't had much free time lately. Anyhow...we thought we need to get our little round table down there for Christmas time. It's not going to be our forever table as I would like a slim, longer one to seat more people than just 4. For now this little table will do. We're debating to paint the base cream, black or the wall colour & the stain the top( as we sanded it down to the wood) or just paint the whole thing one colour? Thoughts!!!
  • happyleg
    5 years ago

It looks good, keep plugging when u can :)

• btydrvn
    5 years ago
    Cher...since the whole room is so neutral I would go for an accent color on the table ...Or if choosing a color is hard...a clear finish on the top and black base and black chairs will contrast nicely too...glad you are taking a breather...gives you time to use the space and think about what you need and want .....enjoy the holidays and all you have accomplished so far....
  • Cher
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ritasj- you don't think black will make the room look to dark, with the flooring being dark. I have a bit of red paint...I thought I could use that with cream paint overtop & sand it to have the red show through in spots. I have to look for your previous post describing the technique as I haven't done it before & then a darker wood stain on tabletop or clear coat. Thoughts?
  • btydrvn
    5 years ago
    The black will look crisp and won’t add enough black to darken the room...but a dark table top may be too much....my fave would be to do a crisp bright color....that you really love....that you could bring in elsewhere as well....pillows...throws....trays...rugs?....the kitchen nook?....the tough choice is,what color?....I would choose a mellow yellow....sort of lemony....to counter all the cool...more neutral...shades...kind of like bringing a little sunshine into the space.....warm it up....since your look is not “casual” in feel yet...I think a warm color is needed ....
  • happyleg
    5 years ago

Accent color, like red , green, yellow , orange.

• User
    5 years ago
    Cher, black, red or a rust color would be good accent color
  • btydrvn
    5 years ago
    Bring down some towels...blankets...fabric... in colors that you like and throw over the table or a chair to get the feel of a big splash of color......in the basement ...especially in the winter ...some color will make you happy...at this point even your art is gray and black!...I always think getting brave with a ....colorful ....rug is the place to start...then you can choose colors from that for the table and other pops of color...
  • btydrvn
    5 years ago
    Using the table as is for the holiday may relieve some of the pressure
  • Cher
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I thought I mentioned ...but maybe I forgot to...but we have 4 grey metal chairs that we bought a while ago, that go with our stools. My hubby really likes red for an accent colour. He went and bought a red keurig for the basement already!!. I think red, cream, stainless and black will look nice?? On another note...we're done the removable railing-yeah!!
  • Cher
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Just so you have an idea of what it looks like unfinished. Would you still paint the base black with the stainless steel chairs? Would you paint top red? Ideas?? It's not in its exact location an ignore the cardboard under the table ...for when we paint it:)
  • btydrvn
    5 years ago
    With those pillows and chairs I would do all red or all white...this will confirm the “accent” status of the table...(since the style really doesn’t go with the chairs)...all white (with a bright red table cloth for now) will make the table more versatile to use elsewhere (when you get your new table)...as it will go with the white trim accents on the bar and other trim....
  • btydrvn
    5 years ago
    If you were considering the table on its own....I love the way it looks now with the natural top...it is cuter and more authentic...
  • happyleg
    5 years ago

Agree!

• Cher
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The pillows wont necessarily be staying. I just put them on the chairs to bring in some red to see what it looked like:)
  • Cher
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    ritasj- I kinda like the natural top too. What should I protect it with if I keep it natural?
  • btydrvn
    5 years ago
    I like any kind of waterproof polyurethane ...with a flat finish...(this option looks more like just a natural wood finish ....not shiny)....then you can be pretty carefree about how you use the table.........since it is a nice fresh surface I might use a pale stain like yellow pine or golden pecan....to just define the wood grain and lend a little warmth to the color .....before the clear coat....
  • Cher
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    And you would paint the base of the table white still? (trim color)
  • btydrvn
    5 years ago
    Yes...that way it matches the trim ...and you can use it anywhere in the space after you get your new dining table....
  • Cher
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I found this inspiration pic...same type of table, except we have metal chairs. What do you think of the table painted one color or do you think the natural top would look better? Either way...I paid $20 for the table...it's a win, win situation!!
  • btydrvn
    5 years ago
    The wood top looks so nice....gives the table a little more personality..but white looks good too... it may just be the whole look you like in the pic...
  • happyleg
    5 years ago

Yes to wood top, more rustic.

• Cher
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hello there! It’s been a while...I hope you had a great holiday season?!!
    Here are some updated pics of how the basement is taking shape:) We made a pool cue holder and painted it black...roughed it up and put a black wax overtop. We have made one bar table for the pool table area and we’re working on a second one.
    Things we’re pondering...
    1. Should we use the black wax for the top of the table to give it a more rustic look?

2. Thinking of painting the two big openings the white like the island posts to keep the look cohesive?

We will build a new coffee cart and bar cart next...then kitchenette. We’re leaving that for last!

Thoughts??
  • Cher
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    More pics: we entertained a lot over the holidays and everyone loved the set up:)
  • User
    5 years ago
    Beautiful Job Cher!
  • happyleg
    5 years ago

Beautiful. Unless u hate the knots in wood. Then paint it white.

• Cher
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hello everyone!! It has been ions since I’ve been on here! We are finally getting around to designing and building the kitchenette! My question is: would you build upper cabinets or add some rustic open shelving in opening above the lower cabinets? We still will be adding drawer fronts and countertop:)

• happyleg
    4 years ago

Hey Hi just checking in that's your rec Room right?

• Cher
    Original Author
    4 years ago

happy leg- yes...it’s the same rec room we’ve been working on for the past 1 1/2 yrs-lol!! Took a few breaks here and there and enjoyed the summer months doing projects outside:)

• happyleg
    4 years ago

If you think you need more storage you could put cabinets and if you want your stuff hiding or open shelving that with open shelving we don't want anything uglies showing

• Cher
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We are almost finished...just two chunky floating shelves for above the countertop! Love how it turned out...thanks for everyone’s help in this long project:)

• happyleg
    4 years ago

That looks cute Set the kind that you can hang things on the back that clip in on those um can I like a pegboard a maybe you don't need to do even do that anyway just talking

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Not sure ...but are the wine storage openings too close to potential heat problem from microwave?

• Cher
    Original Author
    4 years ago

btydrvn- is this ritasj? Regarding the microwave...I don’t think it’ll be a problem as it’s doubled up with wood and we don’t use the microwave enough for it to be affected. As you can see, we still haven’t painted the wood around the openings because I’m nervous...if we don’t like it, we can’t get the natural wood back;)