SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindz8287

newly built home/living room lacking character

Lindsay Arth
6 years ago
We recently built our home but our living room isn't feeling very cozy. Any ideas on how to fill this space while keeping it fairly uncluttered/neutral would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (63)

• maddielee
    6 years ago

Crown moulding would be an easy and beautiful accent.

• Lindsay Arth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Another view
  • Related Discussions

Foundation garden for newly built home

Q

Comments (25)
    Are you looking to put this evergreen in the corner by the porch? If so do you have at least 4 feet in width for this Chamaecyparis AKA false cypress to fit without crowding the porch or growing in front of the window? How is the 8' height of the boxwood going to interact with the porch roofline? You might want to measure how much width is there and ask for suggestions on the conifer forum and the shrubs forum. You can either keep the height of your evergreens below the window and go wider or go tall and skinny. I think I would go for keeping it below the height of the window to prevent a crowded look in the porch corner area, and put the height off to the right of the porch, but you can do what will please you.
    ...See More

Furnishing you Newly Built Home

Q

Comments (30)
    We'll be keeping our sons' bedroom furniture and giving our daughter ours. We plan to buy new furniture for our bedroom and the living room, and maybe a couch for our office den. Otherwise, we already have a lovely dining room table with chairs that we've had in the dining room here but have generally eaten at an old table (old, not antique) in the kitchen, with chairs that are falling apart. Our kids have used ratty folding chairs when eating. We will be getting rid of the chairs that are junk and I plan to put that table and other furniture we no longer want into our unfinished basement for the kids to use for puzzles, Lego building, etc. Our living room furniture is quite old and in pretty bad shape, so if we keep anything it'll be going into the basement. We have various pieces of furniture I'm hoping to get rid of. I'm not sure if we'll try to sell it or just set it out by the road with a sign saying "FREE" and let people pick it up. It's amazing what disappears that way! There's one stuffed rocking chair I bought before we were married that my husband has always hated. It fits my build perfectly, but it does scoot back and rubs against baseboards and has destroyed our paint job on baseboards around the living room. It's also falling apart and the springs have sprung. The other night he was in a weird mood and kept trying to get me to pounce on the chair with him and rip it apart. LOL Common sense prevailed as we do still need the sitting space, but I wouldn't be surprised if he takes an axe to it when we finally move.
    ...See More

Paint and decor ideas to add warmth to a newly built home

Q

Comments (9)
    the number one thing, move that sofa out of the doorway. pull the rug and sofa floating in the room. center the rug and put the front legs of the sofa on it. the chair looks like it was part of a sectional? is that true, if so I would take it out and bring in the chair you have in the dining area and that love seat. put the love seat to the window side and the chair to the other side angles. you have a great touch of blue in the island, bring that into the other room in touches, patterned curtains, pillows, and in art work. splash it around and let it be the first bit of color it will lead you into others.
    ...See More

Need design ideas for newly built house in Belize

Q

Comments (2)
    IMO sectionals are the most expensive uncomfotable seating you can buy. Think sofa and 2 chairs , nicer for comfort and also the ability to change the arrangement from time to time . I am not seeing a wall between the kichen and the LR only the DR so I assume that was what you meant.
    ...See More
  • deegw
    6 years ago

I like the table, what bothers your husband about it? It's hard to tell from your picture but is it a little cramped in that spot?

This Elle Decor article has some great tips and most of them are inexpensive.

Elle Decor

• PRO
    Niche Interiors
    6 years ago

I think adding greenery would help. Maybe a fiddle leaf fig in the corner near the media cabinet. The sectional can handle more throw pillows and I'd add an accent color to create more depth. Maybe a muted blue or even a yellow. See below for some inspiration images. Good luck!

• Olychick
    6 years ago

I like the desk used as a sofa table, but I'd remove all but one of the lanterns. You have 3 glass lights over the island, so I think they are too similar, and too much of a repeat.

This is hard to tell from photos, but I might try scootching the whole sectional and rug over, so it's a bit away from the window wall. That will put the rug more in the center of the room and bring everything away from the edges, hopefully making it feel a bit more cozy.

And if it were my room (but this isn't a look for everyone) but I'd be experimenting with angling the sectional - maybe so the V opens more toward the fireplace and tv and the whole thing moved over toward the picture wall. Hard to describe and might take a lot of tweaking to get it balanced just right.

• flopsycat1
    6 years ago

You do not need to add any carpentry: no crown molding, no wainscoting. Just some color, and lower those pictures. Lots of good ideas above. Looks like a great house, off to a good start!

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

Maybe the lanterns from the desk could go on the mantel, with something colorful inside?

• Lindsay Arth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We would like a leather chair in the room-either in the corner or next to the couch angled towards tv. Would that look okay?
  • Lindsay Arth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I love the fiddle leaf fig tree idea! Any ideas where is would look good? I get so nervous of cluttering the room but clearly need something!
  • isabel98
    6 years ago

yes, I agree on the tree, fake or real it makes a huge difference. plants in general bring "life" to the room. water your plants one a week on the same day.

this is something that may take some time. building a gallery wall around the TV character but is time consuming. be patient if you want character.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Keep it neutral with no clutter, but you want "character". Hmmm.... Beyond my pay grade!

• Val B
    6 years ago
    I would pull the sofa away from the window about 1 or 2'. It looks a little squished against the wall. I would also try rotating the sectional so that the back of the sofa is facing the kitchen and the room opening (so that the sofa is facing the tv wall and the window wall). That may help it feel a bit more like a cozy room.
  • msrose
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Instead of moving the pictures down, I would add a table with some accessories below them. I like the table behind the sofa.

• Lindsay Arth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I am open to a pop of color or pattern but mostly want a clean feeling
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

All rooms lack charachter when it's just a sofa, chair , table etc. After you have the basics you add your personality through art and accessories. Sometimes a room can be so clean that a visiter can't get a feel of the soul of you. All you have to do now is be brave enough to show us without fear of making a decorating mistake. Pretend this is the job interview of your life and the interviewer wants to know what you're really passionate about...who you are.

If you think in terms of a magazine cover you'll just be hurting your room. Those covers are always pretty but lack in soul.

• Lindsay Arth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    My ultimate goal is built in bookcases along the TV wall but that's a ways off. Would like to hire someone as the ceiling is pretty tall and unsure how high to put them
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

So, you are a bookcase? Hmmm, who knew? On your profile page it shows earth, texture and color. A smiling face, an artistic b&w artsy photo. Natural, nature, color of nature. Strength, beauty and calm. I got all that from a few seconds on your profile page but zip looking at your room.

• grapefruit1_ar
    6 years ago

YES to lamps as was mentioned. I would turn off the overhead lighting, get a colorful patterned rug, and add curtains. Those things will provide instant warmth. You can then have fun with art and accessories.

• DH
    6 years ago
    nice room

i hate clutter too but sometimes you need an end table or two!
  • PRO
    Keenlee, LLC
    6 years ago

Happy to provide some art options for above fireplace if you can share dimensions and a budget

• Maria Privat
    6 years ago

Nice suggestions so far. Here for a different angle. How about putting wall paper on the TV wall. Wallpaper with something pale orange in it, since you already have that in a photo. Nothing too ostentatious. And apart from brown, (teal) blue would be a lovely color to match it. For colors in a rug, throw pillows, blanket.

On the other hand, you could go for truly bold on that one wall and paint it. You'd be amazed what something like that does for a house in adding character.

I read somewhere, that you'd like build-in bookcases on that wall someday. Don't really see how that can be done without clashing with the fireplace and it's 'mantle', since it is not leaving enough depth for them.

Your husband's concern about the side table I fully understand. The table is a different wood color and somehow doesn't fit with the rest, for it is nowhere repeated. Either repeat it, or paint it. You'll probably go for black. I'd go for teal along with the rest of the color, I'd bring in here.

If your husband doesn't like where it is placed, then remove it to the wall with the photos and place it right under there. In that case the photos will not longer give the idea, they are hung up too high. Otherwise you could place some low book cases over there.

Where's the bed for the dog? Could be placed next to the book cases (or moved side table).

• Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

Have you tried placing the couch on the opposite wall? Would it fit there? I'm not a fan of putting furniture up against Windows plus the couch will be closer to the tv.

• Lindsay Arth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I am very much appreciative to these ideas. Someone mentioned that built ins may not work on the TV wall...what about putting ship lap against the back wall-white (I I know it's neutral or a light gray?) to add a statement wall. I'm open to wall paper too!
  • Lindsay Arth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Something like this? And I'll talk to my husband about a budget for artwork. Thanks!!
  • rcarterworld
    6 years ago

Since you don't want a lot of color, you may need to add a bit of texture with a different rug and pillows. The console definitely needs to be longer and the art can come down a bit. In lieu of the ottoman, I would probably do a glass table (round). The room is nice and probably wouldn't take much to bring it up a notch.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

I just did a quick search on eBay. FILTERS: med to large, original, signed. Surface: Canvas. Subject: Landscape, Maritime, Peace & Seasons. Price: $45 to $425. Area: United States.

This filter search brought up almost 3,000 paintings. I went through them fast by only picking those I liked without a lot of color. If you search go through quick and put in "watching". When done revisit your watching section and start taking things out for elimination. Once you get your list down to a few check the sellers ratings. Remove those with bad ratings. Easy Peasy, now you have your art.

You don't need a big budget.

I love some of Caulfield Russell's paintings.

• tqtqtbw
    6 years ago

I like the room but it needs texture. Woven basket, hammered metal, pillow, throw, greenery. Could you add some long view pictures from the kitchen and the right side hall so we can see how much space there is to work with.

If you don't want to move the pictures, you could add another row under the ones that are there.

No ship lap, etc. The wood trim on the fireplace wall is nice.

• PRO
    Courtney Thomas Design
    6 years ago

You have a very lovely start. You might need to add some more of you to the space though. Here are some suggestions from our designs to help you get started. You could try a rug with a pattern in it, switching out the ottoman for a metal coffee table, then adding accessories on top of it, adding an arc lamp, adding a woven side table, then other various metal decor, adding artwork, some colored or textured pillows, and some greenery.

• winker58
    6 years ago

I like the console behind the couch. I would put a taller decorative item on the table and also a piece of decor with texture.

I like the drapes featured in the post by Courtney Thomas Designs. Even if you do not need drapes to pull across and cover the entire window, the stationary curtains on the ends of the windows soften the room and help to absorb sound. I have Hunter Douglas Silhouettes with a small gathering of curtains on each end of the windows just to soften things.

• msrose
    6 years ago

justerrilynn - I love all of the pictures you found. I would have never thought to look on ebay for pictures. To start out with, did you select art paintings or art prints?

• PRO
    Designtrends
    6 years ago

Quick Tips :

• Add plants to the corner of the walls.
    • The walls can use more colors If the art on the wall can be interchanged with more colorful watercolors, it will uplift the entire room.
    • the fireplace is gorgeous, a few decor accents are all that is missing.
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

A monochromatic room can be very pretty but I agree that you need some texture. Consider adding more pillows with texture to the sectional, along with a throw. Your artwork definitely needs to be lowered and your mantel needs a few simple statement pieces. A few metallic pieces like a metallic tray on the ottoman and possibly a sculpted piece on the mantel will add a little depth. These are all from Target.

Something like this would brighten up your ottoman.
    Also from Target.

• acm
    6 years ago

"neutral/minimalist" is usually not compatible with "cozy," which tends to mean warmth, color, and personality. you have to decide which matters to you more and go from there...

• Lindsay Arth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I took a screen shot of things I've saved and the look I would love to have in my home. These photos to me show neutral, clean and also cozy! I appreciate all of your suggestions
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Msrose, I love looking at art on eBay due to all the filters you can use.

In eBay's search put in "art". You will then get choices. Click art-paintings.

Once on art-paintings you will see all the filters. Click "Original"

Next, click "Signed" under the features tab

Look for the painting surface tab and click "Canvas"

Next click "size". Do you want small, med , large etc.

If you have no idea what subject or medium or style you want stop at the above on filters. Or, cut it down a bit by putting a dollar amount on the most you want to spend in the "prices" filter. It will take you a good part of a day off and on going through a list that will be in the thousands. In this initial stage don't over think it. If you like it stick it in your "Add To Watch List" section. Later go back and start eliminating due to Sellers bad ratings or stupid high shipping or you aren't sure you love it.

You may start seeing a pattern to your art preference as well.

*Note: it's very expensive to ship heavy framed paintings.

***FILTERS used for Lindsay's search above... Size-med to large, original, signed. Surface: Canvas. Subject: Landscape, Maritime, Peace, Seasons. Price: $45 to $425. Area: United States.

• msrose
    6 years ago

justerrilyn - Thank you so much for the tutorial!

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

Ok, I'm a little nervous about saying this so please know right off the bat that I'm am not trying to be judgemental and in fact I'm trying hard not to sound judge-y.

My MIL once commented about a house, "the only way you'd know they have kids is the pictures on the walls." She did not mean it as a compliment.

Now, I know you have a baby because I see his/her picture, but I see no evidence the s/he or anyone else *lives* here. So my advice is, relax into your space and enjoy it. Leave evidence of your existence here. It doesn't have to be sloppy or messy but if it is sooooo tidy it will always feel sterile.

Again, please don't feel judged!!

Also lots of good ideas above :-)

Also, I like the desk. Maybe your husband will come around if he can use it for his glass of preferred beverage while you watch your favourite movie together!

• anele_gw
    6 years ago

I need a daytime pic. Right now I can’t get past the harsh overhead lighting and uncovered, black windows. I can’t tell you how much changing those two features would change the feeling in your pretty house— for the better.

• Lindsay Arth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    One of these comments made me smile and laugh a bit! We have two very active kids-a playroom is to the right of this photo and toys are often in this space as shown below I'll try to get some daylight pictures too!
  • Karenmo
    6 years ago

What fun to see the happy kid version of your room, all decorated for Christmas! That sort of solves your warm-it-up problem for now!

But after the holidays, then you are back to the room that needs something. For my two cents worth, I have been bothered by that huge white panel over the fireplace. I do wonder why the builders didn't just cover that area in the plain drywall painted like the walls in the rest of the room, as shown in some of the photos others have included for corner fireplaces.

If you like the texture of the white paneled look, and I think you might since you included pictures with lots of white cabinetry that has similarlyshaped trim, and that's in your kitchen, then I say go with it. Since the paneled area is so BIG, it seems like it needs something to balance it on the right side, like the window woodwork does on the left. I would go with a large wall unit with bookshelves, TV space, etc -- that is made with that same clean white detailed woodwork, similar to your kitchen cabinets and the trim look above the fireplace. Make it tall to balance the fireplace wall and the tall windows.

Ikea has one which I include largely to show a price point. Ikea TV wall unit

But you can google 'entertainment center white' and find bunches of pictures of other styles you may like better. For continuity, cabinetry sympathetic to that used in the kitchen would be best.

Frankly, I would be tempted to try a low budget DIY interim solution using your current entertainment base which has a really nice drawer arrangement. I would paint that unit white and flank it with two white base cabinets from the same vendor as your kitchen cabinets, topping the top the whole thing with an appropriate "countertop" surface -- dark wood or white, depending on your taste. Then I would add purchased white bookshelves at each end, probably the same width as the cabinets below. If you like the "pillar" look then you could stop there, securing it all together on the backside, of course. But I would probably add a white painted panel across the back between the shelves, so the space between the bookshelves provides a white backdrop for the TV. And I would probably add some crown molding to the top, similar to that used in the kitchen, if the bookshelves didn't already include that.

• Lindsay Arth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I don't think anyone has mentioned this but we would like to get a corner chair, possibly with ottoman, near where the Christmas tree is. We would like more seating and to fill the space. Would this look okay and thoughts on color? Room and board has a couple lighter leather chairs we like! Thanks!
  • Lindsay Arth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    It's still early but here are some photos in the daylight as someone had asked :)
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

What are your plans for window treatments? Looks as though privacy could be an issue.

• Lindsay Arth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We have blinds that are remotely operated. They are just tucked away in this photo. I would like to get panels eventually. Thoughts on this? Hoping it's not too crammed with the couch
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

As long as you have blinds, I don't know that you need panels. I think the windows look nice as is.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

Christmas! Always exciting!!

I like the idea of a chair in the corner. Tan leather is a beautiful look that will always be attractive imo.

(Thanks for not being offended by my post :-) )

• Lindsay Arth
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here are some updates with some of the suggestions! Obviously I still need to do more but appreciate everything so far!

• Lindsay Arth
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We also added a fun accent wall off the kitchen!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County