SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Drought Monitor Map Looks Better....and Worse

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I keep forgetting to post the latest U S Drought Monitor Map. That's what happens when I get busy with planting. I just forget everything else.

So, here's the map from last Thursday. Look at the improvement in some eastern and southeastern areas. That's the part of the map that looks better. But then, look at the western half of the state, and particular northwestern OK, and you'll see it keeps looking worse and worse. A portion of NW OK just went into the highest drought category---which is Exceptional Drought.

You'll also notice that the worst of the drought right now is centered over the southwestern US in general, but particularly over TX/OK/KS.

Current U. S. Drought Monitor Map

I was sort of surprised to see how bad it is getting in Kim's part of Texas. They need rain!

Here's the Oklahoma Drought Monitor Map:

Oklahoma Drought Monitor Map

On the above map, it is pretty easy to see which part of the state has received excessive rainfall in the last month and has, correspondingly, see removal of drought conditions in quite a few counties and improvement in a lot of others. Sadly, for western and northwestern OK, there's been little improvement. Being in any stage of drought at planting time is not good, obviously, but Spring is our rainiest season so let's hope that the areas that need rain get some over the next few months.

Remember the map that shows how many days it has been since an area's Mesonet stations recorded at least 0.25" of rainfall? That map has some awfully grim numbers for portions of western OK. Here it is:

Consecutive Days With Less Than 0.25" of Rain

I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to go 165 days without even a quarter-inch of rain in one 24 hour period, and it is beyond my grasp. Even in our absolute worst drought years, we've never gone nearly this long without meaningful rainfall. In my area, it is highly unusual to go more than about 45 to 60 days without getting at least 0.25" in one day. I imagine it is really tough right now to be a farmer, rancher or gardener in NW OK. I know that if I lived there, I probably wouldn't even be trying to plant a garden this Spring.

Comment