SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

March blues

This post echoes NewbieRoseLover's anguished cry of a few days ago, but at the start of the growing season, not the end. I'm finding more damage from the recent hard freeze and snow: frozen growth on the Teas in particular, and squashed plants everywhere. I've been pruning the big warm climate climbers close to the house. March is my usual month to do this, and the roses have particular need of it this year, as I didn't prune much a year ago since we were then in the middle of a major drought.

Yesterday I ventured down into the shade garden and woods below. What a mess. We still have have days--weeks--months--of cleanup ahead from December's ice storm. Not that we haven't worked on it, but there are so many large branches down, so many trees! The porcupine has been busy, digging out the tubers of the wild asparagus--farewell to it, we'll gather the shoots in spring no more!--and in the process destroying my paths, beds, and terracing. Farewell to the asparagus, farewell to Arum italicum, long-stemmed Star of Bethlehem (though I saw young plants sprouting), and the young colony of bluebells that had been doing so well. The deer ate every leaf off my hitherto reliably beautiful yellow-variegated Japanese euonymus. This was new. So much destruction.

The most heartening event yesterday was DH's going down to the shade garden in the evening and see a fleeing deer pursued by a wolf. Wolves, hurray! though I may not spend time in the woods in the evening so much. The garden's predators need predators. Bad as this year is, it's not unreasonable to think we're that passing through a low point and that conditions will improve. I read that foxes are the natural predators of porcupines, taking the young, I presume: we have foxes. We have deer close to the house, but now it appears that we have wolves close to the house as well. We've been getting badly needed precipitation this winter; we needed the snow and the cold, the first real winter weather we've had in years. For once I have no shortage of organic material, and expect the garden to improve in fertility as it decomposes. Part of my dismay is simply in response to the mostly gray weather of the last weeks. The sun is forecast to come out today at last, and I'm hoping my spirits will rise as a result.

Comments (12)