SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
portlandmysteryrose

If you could keep but 3 roses....

portlandmysteryrose
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I should include photos to accompany this text but am having technical difficulties again. I have yet to move my photo library onto my new laptop. So, any comrades who who also adore the three loves of my rose gardening life, please DO post images!

I cannot say enough about the exquisite beauty of each individual cultivar I have adored and lusted for in my 30 years of gardening. I am a true OGR lover through and through, but I am also a big fan of a number of "moderns" created by Tom Carruth, Paul Barden and Kim Rupert. They've each struck a precious vein in what I perceive as the gold mine of gene pools, resulting in magnificent purples, stripes and apricots.

Anyone who has followed my posts and comments surely knows that I am a Gallica fanatic, but some of my close seconds fall into other classes: Queen of Denmark, Alba Semi Plena, Crested Moss, Capitaine John Ingram, Blush Noisette, Buff Beauty, Honorine Brabant, Stanwell Perpetual, Blanc Double de Courbet and Violette to name a few oldies but goodies, and Lauren and Ebb Tide and Poseidon to name a few newer cultivars.

But if I could ONLY carry three (with a tie for 3rd) roses to a new garden, it would be the following:

(1) Tuscany Superb:

Pure purple perfection! Truly a velvet rose in every way. The color and form are always graceful and deeply mysterious. This rose inspires that kind of fall-on-my-face worship like no other. I live for its extended flush in early summer. I obsess over photos of this rose when its bloom season is done. No disease, which is critical for my best garden plant list.

(2) Marianne:

I cannot say enough about this "new OGR." For me she is the perfect melding of non suckering, healthy Gallica perfection; classic Gloire de Dijon oplulence and Abraham Darby sumptuousness and intoxicating fragrance. She's been increasingly arising in discussions on the forum in posts and comments for good reason. I cannot emphasize strongly enough the vitues of this rose. The only reason I can see that she has not entered the high volume rose trade is that it's a big business system that is almost completly closed to independent breeders. But as those of us on this forum know, big business doesn't always make best roses. Marianne must remain active in commerce! Someday, this rose is going to receive the recognition she deserves, and she'll finally enter the Hall of Fame alongside Gloire de Dijon, Tuscany Superb, Duchesse de Montebello, Charles de Mills, La Ville de Bruxelles, Veichenblau, Duchesse de Brabant, Blush Noisette, Crested Moss and other great roses.

(3) Duchesse de Brabant and The Prince:

DdB is Tea perfection under a range of conditions from TX to OR. Her silvery-pink, cupped and nodding blooms are pure romance, her fragrance is sweet, she is in continuous bloom and she is one of the healthiest Teas. In full flush, she is traffic stopping. Single stems of opening buds are a delicate delight. She's good in a vase. She's great in the garden.

The Prince is like a richly old rose scented, non suckering, relatively healthy (no spray), remontant purple Gallica. Yes, PURPLE with shades of mauve and dusky fuchsia and near black velvet. I LOVE this almost-out-of-commerce rose. Save The Prince!

Photos anyone? What are your 3 must haves in the garden and vase? To be generous, I'll allow one tie for third place. :-)

Carol

Comments (33)