SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vuwugarden

How do you keep track of your roses?

vuwugarden
13 years ago

Hi all,

IÂd like to get your idea(s) on how you all keep track of your roses.

IÂm starting to accumulate more roses than my memory can handle, and I also noticed that some roses are starting to look similar to one another in bloom form.

The tag that came with the plant from the rose vendor is my current method of identifying the rose, but I see a dilemma arising in the near futureÂ.

It will be difficult to locate the tag once the rose bush is mature and bending and crawling down to locate the tag may get more difficult as I age.

So what do you all do to identify your roses? I canÂt even imagine you folks out there who have 200 plus bushesÂ.

Some of the rose names are difficult to pronounce, let alone remember them all :)

Audrey

Comments (33)

• rosefolly
    13 years ago

Welcome to the world of happy confusion. I used to be in the same situation you describe, but these days I know my roses (though I am not much good at identifying other people's). I have around 100 so my task is not as challenging as that of some gardeners.

I do two things; well, three really. First of all, for many years I have kept a list of my roses so I know what I have. Then once a year I go around and make an inventory to see what I have now. Roses die; roses get shovel pruned; and sometimes new roses appear that I forgot I had acquired. I organize my lists by location because sometimes I move roses.

Secondly, I make a tag for each rose. This tag has the name, class, and year of introduction. This identifies the rose to visitors and also serves a s a cheat sheet for me to learn them better. For a while I even listed the breeder but eventually decided not to bother. I wish I had kept that up, actually. Sometimes on the back of the tag I write the source where I got the rose, but I haven't been consistent about this. That little fact has occasionally been useful, so I do recommend doing it. Anyway, I use Pawpaw Everlast rose labels and I write on them with DecoColor Paint Pens, which I get from a craft store such as Michael's. It lasts better in the sun than anything else I have tried. The next best thing to write on labels with is, believe it or not, pencil.

The third thing I do, and this really cements the first two, is that I look at my roses a lot. Most days I walk round and see how everything is doing, making note of the label each time. This associates the name with the rose in my mind, as well as letting me know what I need to be doing in the garden that week. After a while, I rarely need to look at the tags any more.

Good luck, Audrey.

Rosefolly

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

In my head. Do mothers forget the names of their children? Okay, mine did, but that's the principle. ;)

Some people make a map of their garden and mark the names there. Just remember to update if you make changes.

Some people paint the name on a river-rock and put it at the base.

What about taking a digital picture of each one and labeling it? Maybe print out the pictures and put in a three ring binder?

Tags outside are always going to get lost, eventually.

• Related Discussions

Do you keep a spreadsheet on how much money you spent on roses?

Q

Comments (17)
    Why, oh, why would I want to keep track of my expenses? What if my husband saw it!?! I have been assuring him for years that I get the majority "free" on some sort of loyalty incentive program. He is not stupid, but the lie comforts us both and provides marital harmony. Actually, good luck with keeping track of your expeditures. I obviously don't, but gardening is my one splurge. I am willing to wear old clothes, continue driving my swamp car, and dye my own hair (although if any of you actually know me--this is totally my natural hair color as I am certainly not going gray!). I put costs in equivalent number of roses to decide what gets fixed: 3 months of hair dye--one rose, fixing swamp car's blinkers--10 roses; buying new car--way, WAY too many roses. So far, I get hair dye, but keep swamp car without useable blinkers.
    ...See More

How do you keep track of your roses?

Q

Comments (14)
    A poster on the conifers site had metal tags made with the name of each plant and painstakingly wired them to each tree. Shortly after, his small child went by clinking as she walked. She had just as painstakingly removed each tag and made jewelry for herself with them! I make a list of plants I bring home, sort out their height, width and light requirements then insert them in diagrams I have for my different beds after planting. I also keep the tags from the plants in a notebook so I know the latin name, where I got the plant and what I paid for it. If I ever add it all up I'll be shocked, I'm sure! I like the tag stands and the spreadsheets are a great idea! Barb
    ...See More

How do you keep track of your daylilies?

Q

Comments (27)
    Long time lurker here. I created an Access database for all my garden plants, including daylilies, and would be utterly lost without it. I can track all the plants I currently have, as well as all the ones I've lost over the years. I can run reports on different suppliers and see whose plants I kill most regularly and which survive my attentions. Unfortunately, as Julie said above, I can no longer deny that I am a plant addict. With well over 2600 entries (one for each plant) and a report that adds up the costs (what was I thinking when I wrote that one???), I can see my garden probably cost more than my car! Fortunately, here in the great, white north, rust will only be a problem with the car!
    ...See More

How do you keep track of your collection?

Q

Comments (26)
    I use an app called List Master. It's sort of a cross between a spreadsheet and a database. I downloaded the free app and paid ($9) for the full version within twenty minutes. I can sort on any value and I keep pictures of what each one looked like before I planted it in the list. I'm also keeping my lists separated by year. I can copy what the seller said about it into a note field. I also track date, origin, location, color, size potential and price. It's easy to add another field if I think of something else to track. Kathy
    ...See More
  • mariannese
    13 years ago

I do all the things mentioned so far but I also keep a garden journal. I note all new purchases, source, price and where I planted the rose sometimes with a rough sketch. I know my earliest roses too well to have to label them but after about 80 or 100 roses I've had to label them, especially roses that were given to me. I remember those I bought myself better. That doesn't sound very grateful but there was a flush of given roses a couple of years ago. I use black scratch-on labels and hang them on the bushes where they are not too visible.

I lost my old plant files when I lost a computer and now have only a paper printout of my rose list. Next winter I'll start an excel document with more data for each rose.

• carol6ma_7ari
    13 years ago

I had to laugh at hoovb's characterization of her roses as her children, since I (and probably many others of us) do too. But then I read on in the thread and was in awe of people who own a HUNDRED different roses! (I have 12 at present) Then I thought of the California rose gardeners who have a THOUSAND!

When I accumulate more roses I intend to use a 3x5 card file, and just a popsicle stick marked with the name and stuck into the earth next to the bush. I envision lots of confusion in my future. I may instead choose to remember the rose by the circumstances of its acquisition, for example: the yellow rose I ordered bare-root from an Oregon grower. The white climber from that Cape Cod nursery.

Lest you despair of me and my casual designations, just remember that a rose by any other name....

Carol

• elemire
    13 years ago

I just remember the names of the roses, but what I found useful over the years of bulb gardening were garden photos. With bulbs that helped to figure where they were and also served as the notes for all the latin names.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

I spend months sometimes searching for the right roses, so by the time I actually receive the order, the names are usually retained in my memory. However, I've also been known to make lists on my computer--along with some pertinent info. such as how hardy they are. Some of the lists are organized by type of rose, others by where they are located in the gardens.

Another thing I do, which has helped me a lot, is that I keep a manila folder near my computer. In the folder I slip copies of the rose orders and I've been known to find a pic of the rose online, copy it, and staple it to the copy of the order. That way, if needed, I can track what I ordered, when, and from whom with very little trouble.

But mostly, I just get to know my roses, like hoovb said, by visiting them every day--sometimes several times every day. It's like spending a lot of time with a group of people--you get to know them well.

Kate

• imagardener2
    13 years ago

I was hoping to hear what kind of labels you all use in the garden.

I have metal stakes that are pressure sensitive so the names impressed never fade away but the stake part that goes in the ground corrodes here and they are all useless now.

Popsicle sticks would be lost in my garden in a day.

Gonna go look up Pawpaw Everlast now...

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

No tags for me; I just have a written rose journal. First I have a master list of all the roses I have and add and delete from that. When it gets too messy I tear that page out and do a new one. I also have a page that lists discarded roses and another one of roses I'd like to buy. I also have a (unfortunately incomplete) list of what roses I bought from whom and at what time. Lastly, I have a list of the different areas of my garden and the roses I have growing there, which I also keep updated as the roses are moved around or discarded. I name them simply, such as "front square", "front triangle" "guest room area", "back rectangle", "top of slope", and "driveway". This method works very well for me and I know my roses well enough to know exactly what's in the front triangle or driveway. I too look at them every day, and even more often on the weekends, and have only 90 right now so that's not a problem.

Ingrid

• wilo
    13 years ago

I drew a (very rough) map of my back yard and have numbers where all the roses are. I did also note some trees and larger things like the patio. But I don't list other plants since they seem to change a lot.

I have an excel spreadsheet and list all the roses and include their name, expected height, color, type, the location number and anything like that. Then I can sort by name or location or by color or type. I can print that out and take it with me if I'm shopping for new roses. I can add notes to it, if needed. I have a second spreadsheet (on the same document) where I list my wish list. Then if I get that rose, I just have to cut and paste the info over to the HAVE list.

Might sound complicated, but I work on the computer all day so it is faster for me. And easier.

• sergeantcuff
    13 years ago

I do many of the things already mentioned, but I also keep a list on HelpMeFind. I also use HMF's "wish list" feature to keep track of roses I may get in the future.

• teeandcee
    13 years ago

I bought a large package of aluminum tags on eBay. You write the name on with a pen, but the aluminum is soft enough that you're really embossing it. The embossing lasts indefinitely. I hang one on each plant high enough that I don't have to crawl around to find it.

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

I have an html (webpage) file on my server where I list the plants, their location in the garden and all the information I have about them,... including where I bought it, when I planted it, introduction date, color, etc...

then I have copper (super cheap) tags at the base of the rose for "not to be lost" identification. I find them hard to read though. The indentation (embossing) of the name hasn't gone away, but... it's just not that easy to read especially when they get dirty to me. I don't know how people use them easily. But at least I know it wont go away and I can read it if I really have to.

on rec of the forum, I got some of those PawPaw staked tags and I plan to put those in a place I can easily see them near the rose. and use a Brother labeler for it. I'm sure I'll have to replace those periodically though. I can use these for places I put bulbs and seeds, too, though. I've heard you can get exterior grade tape for the labeler that works well.

Here is a link that might be useful: inexpensive plant markers

• cweathersby
    13 years ago

Cheap tile. Wrote the name of the rose and where I got it on the back porous edge. Wrote in permanent pen and in pencil - as I found out that permanent pen sometimes doesn't last that long. Once upon a time, with my first rose garden, I had the time to PAINT the names on the tile - that was great but I don't have that kind of time.

Throw the tile under the rose. It'll get lost but if you really want to find it you can. I try to lean it on the stump coming out of the ground so it's easier to find.

Just last week I ordered some of those aluminum tags because I'm scared that the writing on some tiles may not be visible much longer. Some of the permanent pens last forever and others don't. Wish I knew the difference because I would love my tiles to hold up better. It's something you don't find out till 5 years later - at which point you don't remember WHICH pen you used!

• User
    13 years ago

I don't do anything . I have no tags but I have never bought any plants in great numbers. A great many have been grown by me so they already have a history and a narrative in the garden story. I can truthfully say that, like children, I really do know the name and provenance of every plant in my garden. However, some of you, i know, especially when starting with blank sheets, have bought many, many plants at the same time. This, I imagine, could be quite taxing and confusing - for customers, i do a scale garden plan on paper, with all the plants marked in - although it takes a bit of time, it is a good reference solution. Use a pencil, as there will be changes. Like DublinBay, I have rarely bought on impulse and if I do, then it is usually only one or two plants. Constant daily forays also seem to fix my memory. I am rubbish at the whole labelling thing anyway but every plant is quite special to me and I have had no trouble recalling everything about it.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I've been making garden plans all winter, but of course, I changed the layout when the roses actually got here. LOL

I do keep a plan with the roses drawn in and other shrubs and perennials. I don't have that many roses (about 40 total when the June order arrives) and I tend to plant a lot in mirror reverse. I don't think it's that obvious, when you look at most of the gardens, but it really helps in remembering where everything is...and it's more balanced, at least to me.

For instance, under the two plum trees, I put a Darlow's Enigma, with a Veilchenblau on either side. In front of them will be two Golden Wings roses that are coming this June. So five roses, but only three names to remember. The fairy garden is in mirror reverse, too :)

• vuwugarden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! I love all the suggestions!

I'm leaning toward the idea of using stones or tiles as markers. I think the stones would blend nicely with the gardenÂ.

Only problemÂ.I can just imagine my puppy running away with a stone in her mouth and me chasing her around and around the gardenÂ

Or worst case scenario, sheÂll horde all the stones into her corner, and IÂll be back to square one, trying to figure out whoÂs who.

Thanks everyone for contributing to the ideas. I really appreciate all your inputs :)

Audrey

• saldut
    13 years ago

I got some 4 foot sections of re-bar at HD and drove them in the ground abt. 1 foot , behind each rose.... I attached the labels from some of my roses to the top of each with wire, and the roses that no longer have their labels or tags I plan on getting some mini-blind slats and writing on them..... this way I can tie longer canes to the re-bar and also the name is up high enough to read.... I have abt. 150 roses and some are very old and huge.... so I also have a map of the garden with the names in circles where each is located., and keep it in a folder near the PC with the other records from the garden, etc... the re-bar rusts to a nice dull finish and is not noticeable, and when we had a wind-storm last week it saved several roses from being whipped around and broken..... now I am trying to find a permanent marker that won't fade ! sally

• lovemysheltie
    13 years ago

I use cheapo plastic tags, write on them with a Sharpie and replace them every year.

My foolproof method is this- I take pictures throughout the growing season and mark the names in a computer program like Paint. Then I upload those pictures into a 'gardening' folder in my picasa album. That way not only do I know which rose is where, I also know which bulbs/perennials are where or what annuals were grown in which spot. This also helps me with color schemes in the following year.

• ogrose_tx
    13 years ago

Can't really add anything; I didn't get in trouble until I bought quite a number of roses at the same time. I have an excel file, use the markers and the tags, and plant the tags that came with the rose under a few inches of dirt. Hopefully this will work.

I got in trouble when I was rooting roses when I just stuck a marker in the little pots. My 2 year-old grandson had fun pulling out all the markers, then replacing. Who knows what they really are - I sure don't, but guess I'll figure it out eventually!

• buford
    13 years ago

I am making these labels (thanks to karl)

"Labels"

I will make labels on a Brother PTouch. I have a spreadsheet in Excel with all my roses, when I bought them, who I bought them from and other info. Also the location in my yard. I don't have that many (100) that I can't remember them all, but sometimes I get confused when I replace a rose or move one.

I had the Paw Paw labels, but they didn't really stand up to the yard. I'm hoping these are a bit stronger.

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    13 years ago

I print out Avery 5660 clear mailing labels with a laser printer and attach them to Paw Paw rose markers. MS Word has templates that make it easy to lay out 30 labels at a time. I also have maps of the rose beds.

• Terry Crawford
    13 years ago

Since I have 300 roses scattered about in various gardens, I keep track of them in an Excel spreadsheet.

In the gardens, I use the PawPaw rose markers. I spray-paint the faceplate black, and use a Brother P-Touch labelmaker to make the labels. I selected 1" silver matte tape and black lettering. They've weathered very well for over 2 years through lots of snow, ice, rain, and sun.
    -terry

{{gwi:262723}}

• catsrose
    13 years ago

The most frustrating thing in the world is to go into a garden with roses (not to mention a a rose garden) and not have any id on the roses. So, first I leave the vendor's tags on them. Then I make labels out of Fancy Feast lids and a Brother label maker. And then I maintain a database that records info \about the rose name, class, fragrance, etc), vendor, date of purchase, a field for notes (moved, cause of death, etc), and location by name/description of bed (bluebird post, north of guest house, pond, white pine, giant stump, etc). Not as precise as a map, but at least I know where to start looking. I also have a field for whether or not it is still alive, so I can pull up a list of what I have or what I have tried and hasn't made it.

I have over 400 roses and want to get to 1000, so I'm well past remembering the names of children--besides, my mother only had three and got us mixed up. And, I have 14 cats and have to keep a list on the kitchen door because sometimes one goes missing and I can't figure out who it is.

• mendocino_rose
    13 years ago

Here's what I do: I have my garden listed on HMF. I have my roses organized there and try to keep up with new roses and losses. It helps for someone who has over 1000 roses. I have lables from the Paw Paw Everlast company, though they get lost from time to time. I've mapped out the new rambler area because it's pretty hard to keep lables on ramblers. Mapping the whole garden is a goal.

• vuwugarden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"And, I have 14 cats and have to keep a list on the kitchen door because sometimes one goes missing and I can't figure out who it is."

Catrose, you are tooooo FUNNY!

Thanks again, everyone. I'm going to check out Paw Paw. :)

Audrey

• berndoodle
    13 years ago

If you have many roses, then I quote a great rosarian: "Labels! Pffft! There's no such thing as labels. They're temporary at best. There is only The Map." And I think he's right.

My approach is belt and suspenders, and even that doesn't prevent label mixups. I sometimes suspect that when I buy multiple roses from own root sources, the labels are confused at the nursery during mailing. IOW, I receive the roses I ordered, but the labels are switched around. Or...I do it myself when I pot up upon receipt. So...

1. Multiple labels on each rose. I use a Brother's labeler with laminated outdoor tape attached to nursery pull tags. The nursery pull tags are the weak link in this system, as they break down after about 3 years in the sun. a I'm looking for a more permanent metal object to stick them onto. I don't love the thin wire of the aluminum tags you can write on. I'd like a friendlier wire. I know I could make them myself using something like old aluminum blinds, a hole punch, and my own coated wire. I'll keep looking.

2. Excel spreadsheet of the usual info + garden location.

3. HMF list

4. The Map

5. Tweak the memory by frequently checking labels of roses I've confused in my garden.

• saldut
    13 years ago

Catsrose, I LOVE the cats ! I have 9 fur-babies ..... please tell me how you make a label with the can-lid ... what do you do abt. the sharp edges and how abt. rust ? thanks, sally

• melissa_thefarm
    13 years ago

I have about three hundred varieties of roses and about five hundred plants, and I'm not nearly as organized as I should be. For me, and I guess for anyone who has a lot of roses, multiple strategies are essential. I have my roses listed on HelpMeFind under the name "Il Giardino ai Papa". This list is mainly for those who want to know what roses I have (for exchange purposes, for example) so that I won't have to mail either a computer file or a bulky paper list. Then I have my critically important Excel spreadsheet, sorted by rose class, then rose name, and including plant source, ease of propagation by cutting, and space for comments. I don't keep information here that I can readily access elsewhere. I have a paper printout of my spreadsheet that I take notes on, and I update the spreadsheet online annually, generally a job for late fall when I know what has survived a year in the garden, as we also plant at this time. I have a garden notebook, much neglected lately, but in which I keep all my plant orders and invoices of shipments received. Labeling the rose is where I break down. I keep the nursery labels on the plant, then, at least in theory, I add a more permanent label, in my case using ones made of Tyvek, available in a roll of 1000, and written on in pencil. I've used aluminum labels that you impress with a stylus of some sort, but have found that they're hard to see on the plant, especially the many-caned, leafy, once-flowering old roses. The pencil-written Tyvek labels are durable, but they get lost, disappear in the foliage, have to be shifted to a new cane when the old one dies or is pruned away...all kinds of things happen. So maps are important. I have some of my garden mapped and need to map much more of it, plus update the maps I have. All this is complicated by mis-named roses. Roses arrive mislabeled by the nursery; or they've been in commerce for years or decades with a wrong name; or cuttings come from friends, named, misnamed, or with no name at all; or mystery roses arrive to take up residence, with no one involved having any idea at all what variety they are. These roses add considerably to the confusion. (I mostly have old and older roses, where these problems are perhaps more common than among modern varieties.)
    Melissa

• mkrkmr
    13 years ago

I emboss their names on aluminum (from a crafts store),
    - get some construction flags (plastic florescent flags on wire),
    - take the flags off,
    - bend one end into a "paper clip" oval about 2-3'' in length,
    - poke a hole in the tag
    - slide it on, and
    - stick the wire in so that the paper clip is above ground and the tag is on the ground, about two to three feet in front of the bush.
    I can't see the tag but I can find it. Occasionally the paper clip sticking up snags me -- they tend to blend in with the mulch. I also bury the nursery tag under the mulch near the plant -- not sure why. I won't find them until they're shoveled out. But I've found some from the previous owner and been able to identify a few plants that have survived.

I also keep a journal in which I record the time of the first bloom of each rose, the first full flush, and the last bloom of the once-bloomers. Okay, sometimes I miss things. But with only 3 dozen or so roses, it's manageable and an enjoyable way to pay attention to the season.

Mike

• regina_nv
    13 years ago

With about 500 plants, I use a garden/planting journal with little map sketches. The definitive list ties to the drip watering system, where each plant is listed in order with the amount of flow allocated. These watering zone lists are on the computer and are printed out for updating in the garden.

There are few in-garden labels as these are too temporary and unreliable, esp when little people decide to collect and move them.

• myloki
    13 years ago

Back when I had an office job, I kept an excel spread sheet with name, class, breeder, date, date planted, where planted, etc. I no longer have that kind of time, so I keep a hand written garden journal and maps. I redraw my map in my garden journal every so often. I've been working on adding labels made of copper flashing. Kind of a slow, tedious process. I hope they are not a disappointment after all this work.

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

When I first started buying roses, I needed the labels in the garden because I couldn't remember the names to save my life. I use the tall PawPaw Everlast rose labels so I don't have to bend down to read them. They have held up well and only occasionally get snagged by our frenzied Ellie on her retractable leash, but they can be easily bent back into shape. I use the P-Touch labeler with the Industrial Strength labels which look as good as new 3 years later in the Florida sun. I guess I'm going to have to learn Excel (I have it - just can't figure it out.) So I have my rose list on a Lotus document with columns and tiny type to all fit on one page with year of intro, class, name, vendor, month/year planted, location, country & name of breeder. I update it regularly. I save my invoices. I made decent maps of the garden mostly, but a pretty good map of the front when I laid out the water system. I have my roses on HMF. I bought a couple of nice notebooks in January to start my gardening journal, but they're still on the shelf, empty of any notes. I should have known better than to think I would be so disciplined.

My only problem is labeling my daylilies since I don't have markers for them. Sharpie pen on the little white plastic marker lasts about a week! So I have kind of pieced together on a map what they are after realizing I had no idea what was where, but I don't know their names when I'm in the garden. If I get more PawPaw markers for the daylilies, they will be the shorter ones.

Since I only bought 100 markers, I've had to stop buying roses (lol), and now I know all the names without looking at the labels, but the neighbors think they're cool.

Sherry

• vuwugarden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Um, Sherry, I think Santa needs to bring you more labels so you can purchase more roses :)

I will start with physical outdoor markers, then Excel, and then a garden map.

Thanks everyone for all your replies. I envy those who can remember all their 300+ babies' names.

Audrey