SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_13469231

Need carport to bedroom/den input and ideas

User
6 years ago

We inherited this modest 1949, 1200 sf brick ranch and have done a lot of rehab over last two years, including total kitchen and bathroom remodel, all new windows, plumbing, and deck addition - all with helpful ideas from the wonderful participants on this forum. So here I am again, asking for suggestions and ideas.

We need a guest room, as we have no sleeping space for visitors. Money is tight, as we are entering retirement. We are experienced/skilled DIYers, and plan to do a majority of the work ourselves.

The carport (and attached storage area) was added in 1955 and is attached via a covered walkway to the main house. It is roughly 14'W x 17"L (238 sf). Roof is in good shape. We are in the south, with frost line at 5".

These are my thoughts/questions thus far:

_Build a separate carport, (we have a large yard (double lot) and using hardscaping/landscaping, divert the existing driveway away from the existing carport.

_Room must a a closet, preferably a WIC.

_No drop ceiling. Keep existing (still looks new save for a few wasp nests) pine-planked ceiling open, install two ceiling fans.

_No windows on wall adjoining deck or on front wall. Four windows (two on each section) on wall facing yard. Windows will match those on main house.

_Room entry will be onto covered walkway, which also opens onto deck.

_Frame up floor to level with exterior walkway. Floor will be hardwood as in main house. The existing concrete floor is level and in good shape.

_Exterior to be vertical white siding to match house trim. (The small bit of horizontal cedar siding on main house will be replaced). At front of room facing road, not sure if we should try to replicate existing "pink" cinder block or simply frame to floor.

_Interior walls. Need guidance here. The open areas will be framed, insulated and drywalled, but should all the cinderblock be framed, insulated and drywalled??? The main house interior has a lightly textured "plaster look" finish, which I've replicated throughout the remodel. I was wondering about doing the same thing by "plastering" over the cinderblock, then over the new drywal to match?
Now that I'm writing this that seems like a horrible idea. Maybe a smooth drywall finish for the entire room is the best way to go.

_Room is already wired for electric. Extending HVAC not a good option. Considering a combo heater/AC unit that sits outside room, mounts to wall, and uses 120 outlet.

_Would love to have a 1/2 bath but this is likely too expensive.

_Would love to have "loft sleeping" area, perhaps above the WIC?

_Have also considered adding stairs and a door to the adjoining storage room and making this the sleeping area. (We will a stand alone storage area for the riding mower. anyway).

Thanks for reading.

All input appreciated.

Comments (10)