SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ricardo_parra49

Range hood installation in appartment building

Ricardo Parra
6 years ago

Dear community,

I hope I can be as clear as I can here. I am renovating my kitchen all by myself, I begun three months ago, and the range hood is pretty much the last item on my list. I know that with an open concept I should have put more money aside for this item, but due to contingencies, I just had to settle for something cheap. I will use 6" ductwork or bigger so I can put a better one relatively easy in the future.

So here is the dilemma. I need to run ductwork from the range hood to the ceiling, and then with an elbow, go outside through a storage room. In the kitchen aesthetics are critical, in the storage room not at all.

The duct cover that came with the range hood is 10x10 inches.

First option is to use circular ductwork for everything, this would require to build a frame to cover the horizontal part of the ductwork with drywall and paint it afterwards, and modify the stainless steel covers that came with the range hood to fit the elbow. I like this option because I will use as much from the SS cover of the range hood, and the finishing of the drywall part will be the same as the adjacent walls. What I don't like is that the range hood cover will need to be modified, and render it unsellable once I decide to get a better one, and secondly, an elbow will create some turbulence, and noise is critical (this is why I'm staying away from flexible ducts).

Second option is to build a square duct fiting in the corner above, and I just connect a short vertical run of circular ductwork. I like this option because a large volume means lower speed of air, and hence less noise, if I make it bigger, let's say 8x8 inches, I could fit any range hood I want!

What I dislike is that the short run for the duct cover of the range hood will look awkward, and the square ductwork, when painted, will definitely look different than the walls, maybe if I do it in stainless?

I don't know, maybe it is a stupid dilemma, but this is the last thing, and this is where people usually screw up :-)

I live in Chile, and our code doesn't allow those fancy and neat rectangular ventilation ducts... :-( but shops doing ductwork in galvanized steel or stainless are inexpensive.

Thank you very much in advance for any advise.

Ricardo

Comments (16)