SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njbuilding143

Thinking of finishing basement.. Flooring questions/ideas?..

njbuilding143
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We are living in a new construction home for roughly the past 3 years.. We have been discussing the idea of finishing the basement again..

During the past 3 years we have seen water get inside the basement on 2 occasions during "torrential" rains that lasted a long time.. We have had plenty of other rain storms where water did not get in.. The water was what I consider to be minimal and on both occasions it limited its reach to only two areas which were the laundry room near the sump pump and the proposed bathroom.. the sump pumps never failed or overflowed.. We did find that the window near where the water was found was leaking down the wall as well as a pipe that runs through the foundation.. I believe that the water that got through those locations was responsible and are being corrected..

I should mention that during construction we had the following waterproofing measures taken:

- Exterior footer drainage

- Intereior footer drainage

- 2 sump pits

- rubber membrane sprayed on all exterior foundation walls

- exterior dimple pad on all exterior foundation

- 2 inch foam exterior foundation

- drylok extreme painted on interior walls (except one wall near where water is)

- vapor barrier under slab

Anyway.. I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet and from what I have gathered the answers to basement flooring (for below grade installs) is to push towards tile or a water resiliant flooring.... I know tile is normally pushed as being one of the top flooring options in basement, mostly because it is easily cleaned in the event of a flood and it can be put right onto the concrete.. My question is this.. If water were to get in the basement and be in the amount pictured below, would it seep through the thinset and remain under the tile, or would it flow its way over the tile?

I had also been contemplating using Dricore or DMX 1 Step plus plywood on top prior to finish flooring.. I figured this would give me a small "insurance" in the event we did have a small amount of water come in such as that shown in the picture.. from myt understanding the water could flow right under and air itself out.. this would also give minimal insulation on floor to help warm the floor up.. This would also allow us to use a carpet in the basement.. (the area where water comes in is set up for laundry and bathroom.. water never makes it to the proposed "living" area)..

Just wanted to get some opinions on which way is the safest.. The basement is about 1400 square feet or which 1200 square feet would be finished. We prefer carpeting the "living area" to give the basement a "cozy" feel but are also open to wood look tile..

As far as costs go.. If we do the Dricore/Carpet route, we figure it would cost about $2500 in Dricore which I could install myself.. Carpet/Pad would be another $1500-2500 depending on quality plus install.. Plus maybe $200-300 in tile for laundry and bathroom, plus install..

If we tile the entire basement without subfloor, it would probably cost about $2000 in tile and another $1000 in grout/mortar, plus installation.. This is where I think it will really hit the bank.. From my understanding, tile installation could easily be $4-6 a square foot.. This would add about $6k+ to the cost..

Comments (3)