SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tash2018

Help! Mudroom, coat closet and foyer

Tash P
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We have purchased a new home and are doing some remodelling. The house layout has a (smaller) entry level followed by a short flight of stairs and then a living level. A question I am struggling with is whether we:

1) design our entry level foyer to serve the purpose of a mudroom and coat closet (coats, bench, shoe storage, hooks for bags).

2) the living level landing to serve this purpose

3) mix of above so "mudroom" (bench, everyday shoes, hooks) on the entry level and coat closet and more occasional shoes on the living level.

We do not wear shoes inside the house, we typically take them off as soon as we enter but if we were to go with #2 or #3, we (and guests) would wear shoes up to the living level.

We have a toddler so definitely need the mudroom style bench, hooks and easy shoe storage.

There is no internal access to the house from the garage (and we have no near term plans to build this) hence there is no "backdoor entrance" to the house or designated mudroom.

We already have some work going on on the living level whereas the entry level is untouched. In order to create a coat closet on the entry level (per #1), some walls would have to be opened up and the closet storage would need to be taken from an adjacent storage room.

I am leaning towards #3 and doing a mix (see rough sketches below) but our architect says walking up to the living level and the first thing you see is closet doors isn't a great look. He thinks we should orient towards #1, and have all shoes and coats taken care of at the entrylevel, which would mean some demolition and construction in order to create a coat closet with space from an adjacent storage room (expensive, time consuming).

Any thoughts on seeing closet doors as you walk up? Can this be made to look more aesthetically pleasing somehow? Should I go with what my architect is suggesting and plan to eventually have everything on the entry level (even if that means no coat closet for now)??

Comment (1)