SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nina_rosenblatt

How much light do I need in my open plan living room

Nina Rosenblatt
6 years ago

Hi,

I'm gut renovating a small apartment with high (11 ft) ceilings. I have a room about 28 feet long that is separated into three portions by soffits. The middle portion is my dining room table and the ceiling is lower there (due to structural work). In the kitchen there will be 5 incandescent fixtures, hopefully around 100 watts each, over the table there will be a chandelier of some sort that gives up and down light, and finally in the living room which is about 10' x 10' the architect wants me to put three monopoint spotlights (I'm thinking they should be flood). I believe he wants to avoid recessed lighting and he doesn't want anything that will clash with the chandelier in the middle of the room.

....I can't seem to find anything I like (that isn't $500/piece) that is bright enough. The WAC monopoints all seem to be around 500-800 lumens, cute ones from RH are 50 watt halogen equivalents...

I don't really get the conversions, but I'm quite positive that is not enough illumination.

My biggest issue is that I do not think there will be enough light in that room at night to make it pleasant without floor lamps. I have no issue with floor lamps, but I want there to be enough light when I flip the switch that it is not noticeably dim.

Is there some lighting genius here who can tell from my ramblings if I have enough light?

Thanks!

Comment (1)