SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prady22

Gaps in new engineered wood floors

prady22
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We installed 7" engineered maple floors couple weeks ago. Glue down on concrete slab. Upon a closer look I noticed several gaps between the planks. While some are hard to see if I stand right above them with ambient light (as the room is not very bright), I can easily see them when I take a picture with flash or use a flashlight. Some of these thin gaps can fit a business card and some are almost paper thin.

I was expecting new floors to not have any gaps at all whatsoever. Especially because they are new and are not even going through a seasonal cycle. Plus we are in So Cal where we should not see huge fluctuations.

The installer will repair some bigger gaps (by removing the planks and putting in new ones) but is suggesting to use a filler / putty for smaller ones. I wanted to get some advice on whether I am being too picky or not with these.

Need some advice on:

a. Are some of these thin gaps are expected / normal in any such job?

b. Is putty / filler a standard and acceptable approach

c. For the smaller gaps is it worth going through putting in new plank over some filler. Can the installers match new planks flush with the existing ones?

Thanks in advance.

First 2 pics: This is how an area looks like. The tapes markings are big to small gaps. Each looks different in a close up picture

Gaps that can fit a business card. Again not very easy to see when i stand near them

Next 2 examples of gaps that are slightly thinner than business card and hard to see if standing near them.

Comments (15)