SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
perennialfan275

Is Lysol and Clorox (and cleaners in general) bad for your soil?

perennialfan275
6 years ago

I don't know if this thread is more appropriate for a different forum, but I figured since my tank is my soil it's ok for here. If it's not I will post somewhere else.

Anyways, maybe I'm crazy to think this, but after learning so much about the ecology of soils I started to think about this. I use these cleaners all the time (bathrooms need to be cleaned and clothes need to be washed after all), but when I flush it down the toilet aren't I also killing the "good bacteria" in my soil (we have a septic tank)? As far as I know, these cleaners don't discriminate when it comes to bacteria (they kill pretty much everything). So, what I'm wondering is if any cleaning products exist that won't harm any of the "good bacteria" in my soil. I'm trying to be more conscientious about the chemicals that go into my tank this year. I'm not an expert on soil, but I know that the more bacteria you have in your soil the faster decomposition happens (and in a septic tank this is obviously very important). If I eliminate some of these chemicals killing the bacteria, then theoretically I won't need to have my tank pumped as often, right?

Comments (13)