SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
larsi_gw

My APOLOGIES about Lysol Laundry Sanitizer

larsi_gw
7 years ago

I was and am wrong about this product, after finally contacting the company and giving them a piece of my mind (of course they do not care).

This product DOES GO in the fabric softener dispenser. It does NOT get added to detergent in the wash cycle. It CANNOT come into contact with laundry detergents, softeners or any other product.

This product has either no usage label, or one hidden under a stupid peel sticker. This product is not on the Lysol website anywhere, and it needs to go in the final rinse and remain for 16 mins (as several of you stated).

The warnings sound severe and dangerous to skin. I am tempted to return and not even try. I was excited to try this though, on my weekly abundant work out wear loads!

LAME!!!! ;)

Comments (185)

• Dave .
    4 years ago

Cheryl, that's exactly what we do: shut the machine off during the cycle with the Sanitizer in it (the "softener" cycle). We give it a good 15 min or more and then resume. Front loader, here.

• Dave .
    4 years ago

We have a more than 6 year old Samsung FL washer. Doesn't get smelly because we treat it right. Plenty of hot loads, keep door open, remove excess water from bottom of seal. I only run the cleaning cycle once or twice a year--not for smell--just for grins. oh, and we try not to over-dispense detergents!!

• Related Discussions

Sanitize without clorox?

Q

Comments (2)
    When I have to take our king-sized comforter to the laundromat, I run one of the big machines empty on hot with a double-dose of detergent (Charlie's) and a bunch of Lysol disinfectant (the small brown bottle, *not* the soapy cleaners) before I wash anything. That should clean out a lot of the bugs and goo and who knows what else!
    ...See More

Listerine to sanitize laundry?

Q

Comments (3)
    I don't know if Listerine would sanitize laundry, or not. It is used in very small quantities to kill plaque in the mouth. mark40511, Lysol Concentrate (not the household cleaner) is specifically made for killing bacteria in laundry. It can be used on whites and colors. Here is a link that might be useful: Lysol Concentrate
    ...See More

My apologies

Q

Comments (6)
    I once ordered a pound of baked ham ( lunch meat) chipped...I took a pic of it on my phone showing it was thick sliced, the next pic I took was of my hubs on his knees bent over scrubbing the boys tub with his pants falling down showing the crack that kills. So both these pics were side by side in my photo folder...over in the laundry room which we sometimes talk off topic..I gripped about my ham not being chipped as I ordered and I posted the ham picture than I logged out...when I logged back in 10 minutes later I had 7 likes on the pic of hubs...crack that kills...I nearly died of embarrassment..Thank goodness i had enough time to delete...These things happen.
    ...See More

Lysol Laundry Sanitizer instructions question

Q

Comments (6)
    Please be aware that this product will NOT work on viruses like the Flu. The directions are also very specific, and if it is used incorrectly, it essentially does nothing. The product is inactivated if you add it at the same time as the detergent. It is also supposed to be used in the rinse cycle, and soak for a period of 16 minutes. This is nearly impossible for most machines. If you are dealing with something that truly needs to be Disinfected, the best thing to use is Regular Disinfecting Bleach. A disinfectant is a chemical that completely destroys all organisms listed on its label. The organisms it kills are disease-causing bacteria and pathogens, and it may or may not kill viruses and fungi. From a legal standpoint (EPA guidelines), disinfectants must reduce the level of pathogenic bacteria by 99.999% during a time frame of greater than 5 minutes but less than 10 minutes. A sanitizer is a chemical that reduces the number of microorganisms to a safe level. It doesn't need to eliminate 100% of all organisms to be effective.
    ...See More
  • Heidi Anderson
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

it would be great if you could wash everything in hot water, but a lot of clothing can not be (athletic wear- especially moisture wicking fabric, sweaters, work attire...) so I was excited to find this product. The first bottle I bought I could not get the label open, but the next bottle I could. I still don’t understand when/how to add it to a HE samsung front loader though- adding directly to the rinse cycle (do you all stand there and watch for it to switch from “wash” to ”rinse”?) when the machine spins in between the rinses seems like it wouldn’t equal the recommended time limit. My entire detergent/bleach/softener bin seems to fill with water from the beginning, so not sure how this would keep it separate? I have spent a stupid amount of time Sitting in front of the machine watching and trying to figure out how it works, not Sure why there isn’t more guidance/explanation by the company...

• Dave .
    4 years ago

Heidi, put the Sanitizer in the softener compartment. Don't use bleach; don't use softener.

To get 16+ minutes of rinsing with the sanitizer u may need to pause the machine during the final rinse. Note the time the machine indicates the load takes to run and subtract roughly 15+ minutes. Set a timer and come back to the machine to see if it is rinsing with the softener compartment empty. If so, pause the machine for a while--say 10 minutes. Then restart the machine.

• HU-855488166
    4 years ago

Can you put in the bleach dispenser mymachiine doesn't have a fabric dispenser

• Marianne Harner
    4 years ago

I am dealing with an awful skin rash all over my body right now from using this. Its been a pain in the butt as I now have to rewash EVERYTHING. I would not recommend to anyone.

• Dave .
    4 years ago

Just because you are allergic doesn't mean the rest of humanity needs to avoid the product.

• HU-429861758
    4 years ago

Can you put it in something like a downy ball that could be released in the rinse cycle

• kathytobar5
    4 years ago

I am a care giver for an alzheimers patient. She soils her pants several times a week. Before I found lysol sanitizer, I would have to wash the clothes 2-3 times in hot water to try to get the smells out. & there still would be a hint of pee or poop. After trying this lysol sanitizer... it now has become one of the necessary house products. It works amazingly. All odors are gone. I put it in the softener dispenser in a top loader. Amazing amazing amazing. I highly recommend

• HU-675651099
    4 years ago

Thanks. Few people know this. we didn’t until we read this post. What happens if Lysol laundry disinfectant comes in contact with laundry detergent? Is there a reaction?

• delray33483
    4 years ago

my guess is that the two chemicals together would cancel the Lysol from really working

• whirlpool_trainee
    4 years ago

Yes

• Jill Johnson
    4 years ago

Ok, so I LOVE this product makes my towels not stink! BUT now we can’t buy it anywhere! I have TWO respiratory therapists in my home and need to sanitize their scrubs after being with covid patients! What else will work?! My towels can wait! Ive used vinegar and it doesn’t work for the towels but now I’m more worried about sanitizing the scrubs!!!! Help! Email me or respond on here.

thejilljohnson@icloud.com

• HU-10449970633172188
    4 years ago

Standard bleach should do the job. Of course it will affect the color of the garment but if the priority is sanitizing then I wouldn't worry about the colors.

• delray33483
    4 years ago

Amazon is where I got it

• Tee Jay
    4 years ago

I purchased a couple of these over the past few weeks being mindful of the Coronaviru, and to thoughly clean towels, bedding etc. I now have a rash from head to toe!!!! The company takes no calls to let them know. Be careful with this product!

• HU-10449970633172188
    4 years ago

Make sure you only put it in the softener section and double rinse like I do. Shouldn't have any issues.

• SEA SEA
    4 years ago

Jill Johnson,

If you wash the scrubs with Tide with Bleach POWDER detergent in HOT water, it should do the job. I've read on this forum in the past that while the manufacturer does not advertise that this product kills germs, it contains oxygen bleach that will break down the fatty shield viruses have that keep them intact, thus rendering them not harmful anymore. I also read in the past on this forum that regular Tide POWDER will do this as well, but Tide with Bleach powder contains a higher percentage of oxygen bleach.

I am not a chemical scientist nor an infectious disease consultant in any way, just relaying information I've read on this forum.

I hope this helps while the Lysol sanitizing product is unavailable.

• Jill Johnson
    4 years ago

SEA-SEA Absolutely does help thank you!!

• Jill Johnson
    4 years ago

HU colors DO matter with scrubs for ny husbands and daughters job, for towels I totally understand what your saying.

• beaglenc
    4 years ago

Lysol Laundry Sanitizer, according to the label, is effective on 2 bacteria, it does nothing on viruses and mold, fungi,ect. It has to be used in the final rinse cycle and has to soak in said rinse cycle for 16 minutes. Also, it cannot be used with fabric softener.

From what I've heard, the surfactants in laundry detergent is enough to break up and destroy the virus. Just don't use too much or too little detergent. Extra rinses would be wise too. For my peace of mind, I use a more aggressive agitation and a long soak period along with hot and very warm water and extra rinses.

• hcbm
    4 years ago

Detergent and the hottest water should do the job. Then for an extra measure dry in the drier as hot as you can and for a little longer. I know the stress of this situation is overwhelming. Thank you and your family for all you are doing.

• Lisa
    3 years ago

I have been using this product successfully and as directed on the label for some time now. I really like it. The only thing I don't like now is that I am having a difficult time finding it. But I did read the directions and it did indeed say to add it where you add your fabric softener. I don't know what all the fuss was about finding the usage directions...I mean I just read the label and there they were. I love this product!!

• wilson853
    3 years ago

It can also be used during the presoak cycle for killing viruses. I started using this on clothing that a family member wears in the hospital but now I use it on most loads.

https://www.lysol.com/lysol-laundry-sanitizer/

• To disinfect and kill 99.9% of viruses, add when pre-soaking laundry
  • June Rogers
    3 years ago

i use vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser

• HU-583979870
    3 years ago

Hello all I put this in the fabric section that is right next to where I put the liquid detergent!? is that not right?! who has time to go run and check when it’s in ”rinse“ cycle and then add it?!! Wtf

• beaglenc
    3 years ago

SMH, people peel back the label and read the instructions. It has to be in the final rinse for a period of 16 minutes, with NO added ingredients, otherwise it's a waste of money. If you have a FL, pause the cycle for that time, same with any TL.

• HU-583979870
    3 years ago

I have an LG introverter direct drive and maybe it has automatic release when it gets to rinse cycle ??

• HU-90022040
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

On the label of my Lysol Laundry Sanitizer, they say: For ingredient and other information, www.rbnainfo.com.

• HU-376382272
    3 years ago

Be careful when searching the internet for places to by Laundry Sanitizer and other Lysol products. In July I found a site online that had super cheap prices on many Lysol products. I bought a whole bunch and paid for them with Paypal. I realized later that it was a scam and tried right away to cancel the Paypal transaction. Now, almost 6 months later I have a report in with Paypal and hope they can recover my money. If you think it's too good to be true, it probably is. Do some research before clicking BUY.

• Julie Stevens
    3 years ago

You can buy Odoban that hospitals use. It it made to be diluted to several strengths for different uses. Can be bought at Home Depot and Walmart for $10.00 a gallon

• Illie
    3 years ago

My top loader does not have a softener section, only a bleach section. Is this where the sanitizer goes?

• beaglenc
    3 years ago

Pinky Molina-Anderson, NO! It only works in the rinse cycle, with no other additives, and MUST soak for at least 16 min. to be effective.

• wilson853
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Illie, You can also add it during a presoak cycle.

https://www.lysol.com/products/laundry-sanitizers

• nancyhope1
    2 years ago

I put each load through two complete cycles to ensure my laundry is clean, sanitized and rinsed thouroughly. First cycle: Detergent in wash section and vinegar in the softener section. This way vinegar will remove any residue and kill things the lysol sanitizer doesn’t kill. Second cycle: I put lysol fabric sanitizer in the wash section only and let it go the entire cycle. This way i get a final rinse and my skin won‘t itch and laundry will be truly cleaned and sanitized and rinsed. It’s worth doing it this way to ensure laundry is properly cleaned and sanitized.

• Ally Ploaie
    2 years ago

This type of Lysol has totally disappeared from Canadian market in the last year and now in can only find it on amazon.ca at prohibitive prices. Like two 41oz bottles at over $90. I also used laundry disinfectant for years while living in Europe. There were several brands there. I had to wait some years to find Lysol here and if this one is gone, there's no alternative. Where's the diversity and the abundance I was told I would find in N. America?

• HU-583979870
    2 years ago

We have tons here in america. Of course scarce beginning of pandemic but now all over. it was hard for awhile to find the fragrance free with light blue cap but now everywhere at normal cost.

• Cavimum
    2 years ago

Pandemic and supply problems aside, diversity and abundance depend on the market and customer buying habits, which can vary by region or even city. If a product does not meet sales projections or make a profit for the manufacturer, it disappears from the store shelf. Retail operates on a narrow enough profit margin that shelf space priority is given to products that generate sales and profit. We have all seen favorite products disappear over time.

• Tina Ortega
    2 years ago

I'm not worried about the label. What happens to the clothed bc I've been putting it in the beginning of the load like regular detergent. I saw the Clorox brand and it is the same. I put it in the beginning bc in my apartments my rinse cycle is like a sprinkler. I literally have to have a timer and time it to the last cycle. That's annoying and just too much. I only read the first 3 comments and everyone was so worried about the label and it being a sticker that has more info on the back. I got to much laundry to do than to read about the sticker.

• Oralee Cooper
    2 years ago

It  does tell you to add to your fabric softener compartment or the rinse cycle

• dadoes
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Tina Ortega

The product label clearly says ...

To Sanitize: Add to rinse cycle and leave product in rinse cycle for 16 minutes. Not intended to be mixed with laundry detergents in the main wash. Use this product in the rinse cycle exclusively.

You're wasting your money by using the product the wrong way, it's doing nothing to sanitize your clothes.

I don't know of any washers ever in the history of automatic washers that have an agitated or tumbled rinse that runs for 16 minutes before draining the water. Some (frontloaders) may run two or more rinses but each one is short and the water drains out. It's impossible to use these sanitizing products as directed unless the washer is shut off during the rinse and let sit for the requisite time, then restarted to finish the load.

• Patti G
    last year

Why can’t it come in contact with detergent? i’ve been adding it directly to washer tub too. Thank you

• Stephen Rew
    last year

I think it does not work (sanitize) if in contact with detergent.
    So basically don’t brother adding it at all if adding to detergent tray…. Not 100% sure though.

• georgect
    last year

I HATE this product. It causes too much aggravation. I just "chatted" with a Lysol agent and it went no where fast and then dropped the chat.

From their own web site...these directions don't make any sense.

"For Laundry Sanitizer Directions:

• For High Efficiency / Front Load Machines: Add 2 CAPFULS each filled to line 2 of the dosing cup to the fabric softener compartment or directly to your rinse cycle wash.
    • For Standard Machines: Add 2 CAPFULS each filled to line 1 of the dosing cup to the fabric softener compartment or directly to your rinse cycle wash.

To Sanitize: Add to rinse cycle and leave product in rinse cycle for 16 minutes. Not intended to be mixed with laundry detergents in the main wash compartment. Use this product in the rinse cycle exclusively. Can be used on most washable fabrics. Not intended for use on silk or wool. Do not use on materials that cannot be washed in washing machines.

††Pre-Soak Disinfection Directions: Pour two capfuls each filled to line 1 into 1 gallon of cold water. Submerge completely and soak items for 15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with clean water or machine wash as directed.

Not intended to be mixed with laundry detergents in the main wash compartment. Use this product in the rinse cycle exclusively. Can be used on most washable fabrics. Not intended for use on silk or wool. Do not use on materials that cannot be washed in washing machines."

Two CAPFULS each filled to either line 1 or 2 WHAT??? Is it 2 Capfulls or 2 doses filled to line 1 or 2. This makes no sense.

It CAN NOT be mixed with DETERGENT "Not intended to be mixed with laundry detergents in the main wash compartment."

" Use this product in the rinse cycle exclusively."

Yet you have to use it in the final rinse and it has to remain in the clothes for 16 minutes. Meaning you would have to pause the washer because there is no machine in the world that does a final rinse for 16 minutes (mine is 3 or 4 minutes max).

This product is a waist of time, money, effort.

The instructions make no sense.

Please people, don't waste your time or money on this pointless product.

• wilson853
    last year

If you like to do two rinses, the easiest thing to do is run a load with only one rinse then run it again on the rinse and spin cycle with the Lysol sanitizer.

• dadoes
    last year

"wilson853: If you like to do two rinses, the easiest thing to do is run a load with only one rinse then run it again on the rinse and spin cycle with the Lysol sanitizer."

That still won't give 16 mins of agitation (or tumbling) contact to the full stated dosage strength of the product unless the machine is paused for the requisite time during the rinse exposure. Some newer washers will auto-cancel the cycle and drain in less than that time if left for paused too long (or even if the cycle is aborted/canceled with water remaining unless the power is fully disconnected by pulling the plug or turning off the breakers).

• pippy shortstocking
    last year

If you're really concerned about killing viruses and bacteria. ,then follow the directions. Stop the rinse cycle for 16 min and then restart. That will DISINFECT the clothes. ,Meaning, it will kill the .germs. It isn't hard to do. Sanitizing just means cleaning. It does not mean disinfecting. Do NOT add this product with the detergent. This is clearly stated on the label.

• HU-742054171
    7 months ago

Thank you so much for your help, I was actually going to purchase it for myself & my Husband. As I had contracted Covid-19 a couple of years ago & recovered from it, but I still have ”The Covid Cough” & I Don’t want to get my Husband sick, because he has COPD with only about %20 lung Capacity left. So you see why this information is such valuable information to us. Now knowing that other than the fact that I can’t put it in with the Fabric Softener & I have to wear protective gloves, it sounds to dangerous for me to even try it for my Husbad & myself. Again, thank you so much for the information. I will most definitely not be buying this product. For the safety of us both. I can’t jepordize our health & welfare as we are both seniors & my Husband is already in poor heath & I want to keep us as healthy as possible, because we have a lot more living to do yet.

Again, thank you very much for sharing.

Sincerely;

Mr. & Mrs. S. Wilkinson

• Megan Jacobs
    5 months ago

I was tricked into buying this... I was looking for oxy clean In the store said this was their brand of additives that they carried and told me it was basically like Clorox 2 or OxiClean which is what I was looking for. Once I got home and read the label I realized that is not what it is. And just so you know it is on the inside label on the back if you pull the little flap up it does say to add to the fabric softener compartment or directly into your rinse cycle wash and not intended to be mixed with laundry detergents in the main wash compartment use this in the rent cycle. Like you it took me about a week before I decided to look under that label and I agree it should be in plain sight if that is an important recommendation and basically the directions on how to use the product. I'm still trying it out and undecided but I have family members who are colonized carriers of MRSA and this is one of the only sanitizer additives that does kill that bacteria so that's one reason why I'm kind of leaning towards it but I will let you know on the effectiveness of the product as soon as I have my decision.

• Megan Jacobs
    5 months ago

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH